This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Don't pay for Zorin.

killians_red

Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:06:22 pm

I paid for Zorin OS 12 and their tech support does not respond.

Don't waste your money to buy the paid version.

zorinantwerp

Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:14:27 pm

Hi

with the preparation of next major release it is possible that your request for support was not timely answered.
can you copy it here please.

+++

Swarfendor437

Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:13:41 pm

Just to add I have PM'd the team so hopefully someone will get back to you soon, but as zorinantwerp has said, can we help? Is it a problem with the download? ;) :D

Finston Pickle

Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:52:36 pm

Give us your issue(s), please.

Also, look back though the forum threads - often many issues have already been answered.

killians_red

Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:30:36 am

Well, it wasn't a major issue. I had asked how to access or add workspaces.
I often use additional workspaces, but could not see anywhere in settings to add them.
Well, I did accidentally figure it out, had to go into Activities Overview. There, I could drag the apps I wanted into the workspaces I wanted.

Optimally, I would like to scroll thru the workspaces with my mouse wheel, and also put a different background on each workspace. Not sure I can do that on Gnome tho....
Anyway, thanks for the replies, it's great knowing help is there...

Swarfendor437

Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:32:37 pm

If you don't have gnome-tweak-tool installed already, open a Termnal (Menu | Utilities | Terminal) and enter:

Code:
sudo apt-get install gnome-tweak-tool

Then go to gnome shell extension page and get the add on to Chrome(ium) (works in firefox too) - there's a workspace indicator you could install and make it 4 instead of default 2. AS for a different wallpaper on each desktop I never got to work out if possible in Compiz. ;) :D

killians_red

Wed May 22, 2019 6:11:10 pm

Nonetheless,

If I pay for the OS and it is clearly stated in the help section that I get free technical support from the devs, then by GOD that's what the hell they should do! I shouldn't be expected to search through countless posts in the forums.

Seeing how there is absolutely NO advantage to paying for the product, I believe I have paid for the right to publicly share my downloaded ultimate zorin os with friends, family, and complete strangers.

Aravisian

Fri May 31, 2019 12:41:46 pm

killians_red wrote:Nonetheless,

If I pay for the OS and it is clearly stated in the help section that I get free technical support from the devs, then by GOD that's what the hell they should do! I shouldn't be expected to search through countless posts in the forums.

Seeing how there is absolutely NO advantage to paying for the product, I believe I have paid for the right to publicly share my downloaded ultimate zorin os with friends, family, and complete strangers.

killians_red;

A promise is a promise. I agree that if the Developers promise tech support in exchange for payment and you made your payment, they must uphold their end of the bargain.
While it is not invalid to excuse their neglect of that agreement based on how busy they were preparing the next major release (Which was released in the interim), an excuse is still an excuse.

Now, let's say on Monday you make an agreement with your neighbor to check a plumbing leak on Friday(Assuming you know plumbing) and ask if you can borrow their ladder in exchange on Wednesday. They agree.
On Wednesday, they back out of their agreement and decline to loan you the ladder. On Friday, should you still show up to look at their plumbing as agreed?
In my opinion, Yes. There is no right or wrong answer, but IMO, just because they failed to show honor, does not mean you should sacrifice your own honor. Doing so would negate any complaint you have on them, making you equally as guilty. I believe you should honor your word and show up and help if you can. Perhaps doing so will help them learn how to maintain their honor instead of creating bad blood.
Remember, anything you have- ANYTHING... can be taken from you. Except- your honor. You can only choose to cast it aside. I agree with how you feel wronged, but I would encourage you to uphold your end of the agreement regardless of what others do.

And if not... Hey, can I have a copy? :D
(no, teasin'. Core is good enough for me, Ultimate offers nothing I want or cannot get on my own. And the forum is often plenty helpful for solving problems. Usually.)

killians_red

Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:05:22 am

Alas Aravisian,

You are absolutely correct. I have decided not to pursue ZorinOS any further due to their lack of honor, (and the act it seems I would have to again purchase Ultimate if I wanted to upgrade to v15.

I have moved onto Deepin Linux, which IMHO, is FAR better. Right out of the box I was able to apply NVidia drivers and Corssover Office with no headaches at all. PlayonLinux and Sream are also available it their very awesome software store.

Check it out, you may feel the same as I do.

Swarfendor437

Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:27:57 pm

killians_red wrote:Alas Aravisian,

You are absolutely correct. I have decided not to pursue ZorinOS any further due to their lack of honor, (and the act it seems I would have to again purchase Ultimate if I wanted to upgrade to v15.

I have moved onto Deepin Linux, which IMHO, is FAR better. Right out of the box I was able to apply NVidia drivers and Corssover Office with no headaches at all. PlayonLinux and Sream are also available it their very awesome software store.

Worth a read:

https://www.linuxinsider.com/story/86044.html?rss=1

What you may not be aware of in Zorin 15 there is a raft of Deeping apps just waiting to be installed. :D

Aravisian

Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:15:08 pm

killians_red wrote:Alas Aravisian,

Killians_red, but it feels good to have your own still, right?

Personally, I am fine with you calling out the Zorin Team on a messup and who knows, maybe when they get to it, they will make it right.
I have heard a lot of good things about Deepin, too. I will show you this, however:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14576
I also tried to move away from Zorin.

In the end, there are Many Distros and all have benefits and flaws. And usually,those flaws can be addressed. This allows great variety in choosing a distro that is right for you.
For me, it seems to be Zorin 12.4 It's solid, it does all the things I want it to do. The Core version has pretty much everything i need or might use. Wine needs an upgrade to Wine 4- no biggie, there.
I can customize, tweak and do what I want with 12.4, but that it comes with things I didn't know I needed or could use, it really helped (As I moved over from Windows without any Linux experience.)
Like, discovering imagmajic was there and in terminal, I could type one command to convert a .png to .svg.
Easy Peasy. I spent a week trying to find and download a program to do that before I figured out Zorin already had it and it was supereasy to use.

Zorin 15...On the other hand... is not the OS for me. Too Modern. In another thread, I compared Zorin 15 to a Ferrari and 12.4 to a Dodge Ram truck. One isn't "better" or one isn't "Obsolete."
Just each kind of offers to a different sort of crowd. For 15, I'm not a Social Butterfly, Instant messenger , calender type of person.

mdiemer

Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:38:27 pm

Just wanted to add my two cents. It is worth remembering that the Zorin 'team' is two people. I'm not making excuses for them; as was stated a promise is a promise. But the excellence of this system, fully equal to any other of the top Linux systems, is amazing considering that fact, and many here feel a donation, which is what purchasing Ultimate really is, is more than deserved

I purchased Zorin 9 and 12 Ultimate, just for that reason. I haven't yet purchased Zorin 15 Ultimate as I'm still testing out the Core edition. But I almost certainly will do so, especially as I have it on two computers. Although I will probably just use the core version, as they seem to work better on my machines.

I ave occasional asked for their help, and they did respond. Although, as was also pointed out, 98% of my problems have been answered on this forum, or by searching the internet, since Zorin is Ubuntu-based, and there is a wealth of info out there.

It is indeed frustrating when things don't work out. I have found that some Linux systems work great on my 10 year old Gateway, and some do not. Every computer is different, and every user is different. Fortunately, there are so many great choices available in the world of Linux (or Gnu/Linux is you prefer). I hope you find one that is a good fit for you.

Aravisian

Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:21:38 pm

mdiemer wrote: It is worth remembering that the Zorin 'team' is two people.

This really is the crux of it.
I am a strong believer in "don't make a promise unless you can keep it."
But in real life... things have a way of changing on ya, altering your ability to keep past promises.
I promise to take my son to the park this weekend, tomorrow I get hit by a bus. I am a promise breaker.

I have wondered if the Zorins could set up their tech support so that a portion of the requests for support get routed to the forum. It's easy to set up automatically, even (On the current software. If the Forum changes to a new design, I am not sure.) This would free up more of the Zorins time to examine the OS related issues, and not the entirety of all issues.
If-Nothing-else- we could compose a message letting the user know that they have been heard and we are working on it rather than no response for a lengthy time. That's pretty much what the forum here does anyway.
The only problem is, there are not enough members here that are assisting requests, currently.

mdiemer

Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:23:19 am

Good idea, Aravisian. Perhaps Wolfman can be lured back! Swarf is superman, but he's one guy. It's incredible how hard he works on this forum. I agree, more help like that would go a long way.

Aravisian

Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:05:29 am

mdiemer wrote:Good idea, Aravisian. Perhaps Wolfman can be lured back! Swarf is superman, but he's one guy. It's incredible how hard he works on this forum. I agree, more help like that would go a long way.

If Wolfman and ZorinAntwerp could be available again, maybe if MBM and PCFan and Finston and a few others could be more available as scheduling allows... Who knows. Kind of like Tier 3, Tier 2 and finally Tier 1 support.
Swarf does, it gave me the impetus to try posting suggestions even though I am woefully unqualified. I have only been using Linux for a few months. Installing Zorin OS and then joining this forum for some tips was the first exposure I ever had to Linux. I probably make a mess of it often, but a response is better than no response.
Killians_Red is right.
And it is Essential that users of a product hold those that provide the product accountable. I really wish more people were willing to raise a fuss. Many people act like "I don't want to make a scene." "I don't want any trouble." "What if I get embarrassed?"
Sure, it can be done calmly and politely. But it still must be done. Don't just walk away to let someone else walk into abuse.
In this case, I do not perceive the Zorins as abusive, though. I have directly seen Top Notch Performance in their calm handling. But two people facing so very many users of the OS... That's daunting for anyone.
At one time, with much fewer people using the Ultimate Zorin OS, requiring Tech Support, it was within their range. As the popularity of the OS Grew, so did demand for tech support. But even so, the cost of the Ultimate wasn't enough to pay more people to operate as Tech Support.
The Zorins had to increase the cost of Ultimate...
Now people want to carry over the Price of Ultimate Zorin OS 15 for since they had bought the less cost Ultimate Zorin 12.
Catch 22.

The downside of pulling in the refugees of MS is they arrive accustomed to receiving the MS shaft.

You know... that endless empty elevator shaft they throw people into and call it Tech Support.

mdiemer

Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:01:55 pm

"You know... that endless empty elevator shaft they throw people into and call it Tech Support."

Maybe we could have those cute little Microsoft Handyman Tools, that do absolutely nothing. Or those helpful little troubleshooters that work maybe 10% of the time. If you think that's bad, I had a Website once that I paid 50.00 a year for. I came to them with a problem. They referred me to a tutorial. I tried it. I needed more help, and told them that. They referred to the same tutorial...

Me, I am very persistent. I almost always am able to solve my problems, with Windows and Linux (and a little bit with BSD). Unfortunately, I don't remember all the things I tried, and what eventually worked. I'm a classic trial and error guy. Occasionally I am able to help someone with a problem. And if I had their computer to play with, I could probably solve most of their problems. Eventually. Unfortunately, that's not good enough to pass as official help.

I think more and more people are going to use Zorin, because this latest release is so good. It's light-years ahead of any of the previous ones, in my opinion. It was a long time coming, and I had almost given up on it, but it definitely was worth the wait. And as more people use it, we will get more experienced help. I just hope Swarf dosen't burn out first!