This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

trouble whit winstall canon IP1800 printer

zmexy

Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:31:38 pm

i try to install my printer on zorin 5.2 64bit. my cd for windows whit wine didn't work, so i connect my printer to computer usb. it strat to search for drivers, but he found nothing. i've try 2 hours to find myself drivers, i didn;t have a chance. when i found some driver, .deb, i try to install them whit terminal, an error rising. i dont know to much about linux. i am at starting. please help me whit my printer.

sory for my bad language.i am from a non english country.

Wolfman

Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:59:20 am

Hi,

don't install deb files with the terminal, try using "gdebi", if it is not installed, do so via synaptic!!.

Is your printer the "Pixma 1800" ????????.

http://software.canon-europe.com/products/0010455.asp

Regards Wolfman :D

zmexy

Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:51:14 pm

my peinter is pixma ip1800. i try whit gdebi, and it give me an error.
i've took that pakage too. is a .rpm file. i've understand that i must convert it in .deb file to make run. i've install alien, and try in terminal: "alien filename" and it say: "Must run as root to convert to deb format (or you may use fakeroot)." what must i do now? how can i install it?

Wolfman

Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:13:17 pm

Hi,

to open "Nautilus" as "root" you must press Alt + F2 and then type: gksudo nautlis, this command will open Nautilus as root for a limited time, you can play around with the package whilst you are logged into Nautilus as "root".

Regards Wolfman :D

zmexy

Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:54:14 pm

i don't get it. i press ALT+F2. Run Aplicaton appear, i wrote "gksudo nautlis", then i wrote the pasword. i try again to run the terminal wrote:
cd Desktop ( to go at desktop)
alien -d cnijfilter-ip1800series-2.70-1.i386.rpm
and the same result, you must be root.
i've try to select the run terminal box in " Run Aplicaton", but when i clik OK at my pasword check, terminal close himself.
i've try to wrote in Run Aplicaton: gksudo . that open Run Program and i have 2 option in there:
RUN: here i try to put : terminal, nautilus, nautlis
AS USER: here is : root ( i think that is corect)
after each try, they ask for pasword, i wrote it, click OK, then nothing happened.
can you explain more detaliat thsi please?

I need to install a rpm file. Who know how to install a rpm file, please tell me.