This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Is this normal? Why I cannot see the folder icons?

pcfan5

Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:42:44 pm

take a look at this pic.
I am in linux lite 12.4

no se ven las carpetas.png

Swarfendor437

Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:10:04 pm

Have you checked what theme you are using? As you are posting about another distro can you please post (in future) to 'Other distros' thread in 'Off Topic'? Thanks. ;) :D

pcfan5

Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:37:26 pm

I am so sorry, I am running Zorin Lite. I mixed up, I am in Zorin and the theme is purple (light).
I cannot see the folders when attempting to save a file , I am browsing internet with Opera.

Aravisian

Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:45:27 pm

pcfan5 wrote:I am so sorry, I am running Zorin Lite. I mixed up, I am in Zorin and the theme is purple (light).
I cannot see the folders when attempting to save a file , I am browsing internet with Opera.

Asking a question and receiving a direct answer that solves the problem is always preferred. But often, problems are solved by trying out a bunch of different things and getting frustrated. Sometimes, you fix something without knowing just what you did that fixed it.
If I can ask you some questions that may help you to figure out or narrow down what is causing this:
1.)Does your machine only fail to show the folders when you try to save a file from a browser - but does show the folders normally in your nautilus file manager?
2.)Does it not show the folders when trying to save a file if you try using a different browser like Firefox or Waterfox?
3.) What happens if you move the primary file folder out of its current location temporarily to another folder, like Documents Folder and then try to save a file to it from your browser?
4.)Does saving a file always fail to show the folders or does it happen only sometimes or when you try to save certain file types?
5.)Have you tried it when using a different file manager aside from Nautilus like Nemo3 or Thunar?

pcfan5

Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:57:52 pm

Aravisian wrote:
pcfan5 wrote:I am so sorry, I am running Zorin Lite. I mixed up, I am in Zorin and the theme is purple (light).

Asking a question and receiving a direct answer that solves the problem is always preferred. But often, problems are solved by trying out a bunch of different things and getting frustrated. Sometimes, you fix something without knowing just what you did that fixed it.
If I can ask you some questions that may help you to figure out or narrow down what is causing this:
1.)Does your machine only fail to show the folders when you try to save a file from a browser - but does show the folders normally in your nautilus file manager?
2.)Does it not show the folders when trying to save a file if you try using a different browser like Firefox or Waterfox?
3.) What happens if you move the primary file folder out of its current location temporarily to another folder, like Documents Folder and then try to save a file to it from your browser?
4.)Does saving a file always fail to show the folders or does it happen only sometimes or when you try to save certain file types?
5.)Have you tried it when using a different file manager aside from Nautilus like Nemo3 or Thunar?

Hello, thanks for your reply . I must say I haven't got frustrated at all 8-) I know the drill so far... so in order to answer you :
1- Yes it does, it only happens when I try saving from Opera or Mozilla.
2- Yes .
3-I am sorry I don't understand what do you mean by primary folder? the path I am trying to save is this /home/(username)/downloads , also /home/(username)/documents, or any variations of the same. Even in /
4- Yes it always fails when saving any type of file.
5- No, I haven't I only have installed Thunar . I could try with "Caja". ;)

Aravisian

Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:08:12 am

pcfan5 wrote:Hello, thanks for your reply . I must say I haven't got frustrated at all 8-) I know the drill so far... so in order to answer you :
1- Yes it does, it only happens when I try saving from Opera or Mozilla.
2- Yes .
3-I am sorry I don't understand what do you mean by primary folder? the path I am trying to save is this /home/(username)/dowloads , also /home/(username)/documents, or any variations of the same. Even in /
4- Yes it always fails when saving any tipe of file.
5- No I haven't I only have installed Thunar . I could try with "Caja". ;)

Ok... We may have narrowed this down to a conflict with Thunar and your Web Browser.
I could be wrong on this; I am using more suspicion than I am knowledge.

But if I can suggest a simple test:
Try using a different File Manager like Nemo3, Caja or Nautilus and see if that eliminates the problem.

It may be possible that using a Different Browser like Pale Moon or Waterfox (Not Mozilla Firefox) might resolve it. You could try that first if you really want to keep Thunar. But I suspect (I do not know for sure) that Thunar could be the issue on this one.
Thunar is the only common element.

pcfan5 wrote:I am sorry I don't understand what do you mean by primary folder?

I'm sorry, I said that poorly. I am learning Linux and I don't always know all the proper names or lingo. By Primary, I meant Parent Folder.
For example, folder path:
/home/Downloads/Blackmail/Photos
I want to save to "Photos" but I cannot see the folder. So if we move -example- "Blackmail" out of "Downloads" Temporarily into /home. New path:
/home/Blackmail/Photos
And then try saving the file to see if the folder "Photos" then appears.

pcfan5

Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:29:29 am

Hello, thank you. I will try installing "Caja" and setting it as default file browser. I will let you know after.
*Sorry for spelling mistakes in my last messages , I'll fix them now.