This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin Won't Boot

kpinvt

Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:06:59 pm

I have a dual boot setup with Win10, my setup is Zorin on about 260GB and Win10 on the remainder of a 1.8TB drive. I have been getting warnings form Zorin OS that my root partition (18GB) is too small and is about to run out of space. Each time I start up Zorin the message displays a smaller amount of space left and do I want to ignore it or examine it. The last time I had Zorin running the message said I had something like 430MB left. Now Zorin won't start from the boot menu, the screen flashes every few seconds but does not advance any further. Win10 starts OK. I can and probably will wipe out the 260GB and reinstall Zorin.

Swarfendor437

Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:30:55 pm

Hi, I think if you selected auto install this can lead to issues, including, possibly, the making of a '/boot' partition, which I never invoke when doing a manual install. End of lunch break, back later. ;)

kpinvt

Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:10:46 pm

Thanks, I am at work still. I think I followed a video from It's FOSS to install Zorin on my dual boot setup. Resizing the Win10 partition was a major pain in the ****. Disk Manager on Win10 did not work so I used EaseUS Partition manager. I guess I'll have to remove the partitions to reinstall Zorin.

Swarfendor437

Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:34:01 pm

I suspect the reason why disk management did not work in Windows 10 if:

1. You have quick boot enabled in BIOS
2. You have the Advanced Power option not turned off - this is the hidden element you have to show in Control Panel | Power settings - the hidden setting stop the hard drive from going to sleep to speed up boot time and also prevent booting from other install media.
3. Does your BIOS have hybrid UEFI / Legacy boot option? If set to UEFI only see if you can get the hybrid option - this might aid Windows 10 disk management to work correctly.

The best way to install along 10 is given by Matthew Moore:

https://youtu.be/xlTgaWs9BD0

zorinantwerp

Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:49:06 pm

Hi,

the 'other ' way :)
instead of dual booting, go for installing Ubuntu on virtual machine on Windows (use VMware or VirtualBox for this).

+++