This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Auto Login

carajo

Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:54:35 pm

Hey! I just install my first Zorin OS, and I would like have auto login without password when my laptop goes into hibernation mode. I have tried with configuration in the user setting but it doesn't work. Also I edited the '/etc/gdm3/custom.conf' file but it doesn't work again. Any idea? Thanks guys,
Carajo.

Swarfendor437

Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:43:50 pm

Whilst AutoLogin is convenient, unfortunately the core on which Zorin is based doesn't play nice if there is no password due to built-in security features, not least the need to have a password when you need to install anything.

Because Zorin uses Gnome it will be pointless:

https://www.maketecheasier.com/enable-a ... in-ubuntu/

Your best option would be to have one account with a password and a separate standard user account with autologin. ;) :D

simonsaysthis

Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:03:40 am

It is possible if you insist on it. As a potential workaround you could change to a different login manager.

But this is not recommended and could lead to crashes with in-built features

For example...
sudo apt-get install lightdm
systemctl stop gdm3 #or gdm, not sure
systemctl start lightdm

carajo

Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:51:50 pm

First, thanks for your answer. I have been try the solutions of Swar but doesn't work when my laptop goes hiberation mode but work perfectly when I turn it on. I will try install different login manager on virtual machine before install it on my laptop in case it doesn't work.
Carajo.

Finston Pickle

Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:31:00 pm

Sorry to say, but autologin is fine on Feren O/S and no problem with authorising serious stuff, when a password is required.

Perhaps Z18 could think again in future - some people like autologin, obviously.

Swarfendor437

Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:54:46 pm

Finston Pickle wrote:Sorry to say, but autologin is fine on Feren O/S and no problem with authorising serious stuff, when a password is required.

Perhaps Z18 could think again in future - some people like autologin, obviously.

But that is because it is Cinnamon - no use to someone with no sight as the menu does not speak, unlike Gnome 3. ;) :D

Finston Pickle

Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:27:19 pm

Good point Swarf,

I was not aware of that difference - sorry.