This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

How can I delete my account?

Aravisian

Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:03:52 am

New To Zorin wrote:Can anyone tell me how am I suppose to delete my forum account?

That's a good question. I looked through the User Control Panel and I couldn't find it either. I think deleting the account is only really necessary if you would prefer to unlink the account from your I.P. and create a new account. Otherwise, the unused account you would have deleted just kinda falls to the wayside. You could PM an a\Admin and ask.
I found a couple posts you made recently about Zorin 15. It seemed lost in the shuffle of many posters giving feedback all at once leaving a few of your questions unanswered.

Swarfendor437

Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:16:16 pm

Apologies if you are thinking of leaving due to a lack of response - it is not always easy to follow new posts up in lengthy threads - even harder when the moderation queue doesn't pickup some obscure first time postinigs - usually I get to see a question mark in topic head but doesn't always show each and every one. Zorin was supposed to be moving to a new layout like 'Stack Overflow' but I guess tweaking the latest release has taken most of their available time. ;) :)

Aravisian

Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:17:13 pm

New To Zorin wrote:This forum looks so old and unpolished,other distro's have much better support site like askubuntu.
Anyways,thanks for the response but still none of you answered my question,
Also how am I suppose to PM an administrator?

The Admin is AZorin; Here is his profile in which you can send a message via PM:
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=169
Understandably, he stays pretty busy. You may need to allow some time for a response. I am sure he would welcome general feedback on improvements that can be made.
The forum software itself is separate from Zorin (I prefer vBulletin, myself) as this is phBB. The admins can tweak some settings, but not necessarily

Aravisian

Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:26:52 am

New To Zorin wrote:Thank you :)

You are welcome. It's not much, but hope it helps.

jcartner-young

Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:56:54 am

I was just asking the same thing - Interesting how nobody actually knows the answer - I think this phpBB software needs a complete overhaul - Forums are terrible for support, IMHO. A leftover from the days of dial-up.

I think fewer people would be wanting to leave if concerns were addressed and the progress wasn't so obfuscated by the current poor results :/

Maybe not base it on Ubuntu - They've shot themselves in the foot with the recent messy 'decisions' they've chosen and it looks like Zorin may die with it :'((

*thinks* I wonder what happened to Devuan *thinks*

Aravisian

Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:27:15 am

Finding how to delete your account on much of social media is a hassle, actually.

The Zorin Team did make a decision, at some point in the past, to go with this bulletin board software, layout and such. But they did not write the software for it.

I really do not understand this line:
I think fewer people would be wanting to leave if concerns were addressed and the progress wasn't so obfuscated by the current poor results :/

You are the second person I have ever seen ask this question. I would hardly say that people are leaving in droves.
I agree that the forum could use more moderators. I agree it could use more contributors who answer questions.
But we cannot act like the forum lacks addressing concerns. You have a grand total of 11 posts. I have never seen you answer a question. Or help anyone understand something. You have barely posted anything and everything you have posted has gotten a helpful response.
I agree completely with your voice being heard to focus on what you dislike about the distro and where you think it needs improvement. I agree that you must point out what you find wrong about the Ubuntu/Gnome/Canonincal direction. I wish more people would. But I cannot agree that this forum has left you hanging.

Let's take this a bit piece by piece:

Zorin, currently, is based off Ubuntu. Ubuntu is Gnome Heavy.
Gnome has changed directions in recent years. It has removed a great deal of customization, user friendliness and removed useful features. Gnome did so in order to exert greater control over how Gnome is managed and to limit user contributions to it- this is deliberate- and in so doing are becoming far more like Microsoft.
Is Gnome at fault for this behavior? Absolutely.
But the problem is so are the users. Users are lazy. They are not willing to learn how to use the system they installed on their computer or to learn the language it speaks.
They want Plug N' Play. They don't care how it works, they just want it to work.
This is the result of that mentality. Gnome took more of the control because we, as a crowd, willingly gave it up.

In this we find a sharp divide between those that want control and those who don't. Those who don't, those who don't care, those who want a Free Operating System that automatically does whatever they want it to do, problem free, with no contribution from themselves are In The Majority.

If you do not like this trend, jcartner-young, then your only options are to cave in and go with the majority ---or to step up and do something about it. Deleting your account on some forum will not impress anyone. And before you cry foul:
I have been. I have been learning the language, offering resistance (By putting up products for free that resist the Gnome user interface) and a few months back, I began building the core of a distro of my own that is SystemD free. As in, it does not use systemD. In this, I must learn a lot mroe as well as- I must make a lot of decisions. Will this or that decision be the right one? When completed, will I offer this distro that I put months or maybe years into making up for free for others to use? If I do, will I have to deeal with them complaining that I didn't make it do what THEY want it to do? Will they complain that it makes them do too much work and they want it more automagical?
If I do this, how will I fund it?
Funding for ongoing and large projects is a major problem. To get it, you must hit the numbers and that means going with the majority. And we just covered what the majority is, above. Which means people like us, fall to the back and the cycle repeats.
Which brings us back to Zorin. As an ongoing large project, Zorin has had to choose what base to use in order to hit the numbers. And Zorin 15 has Excellent reviews. I do mean: Excellent. The majority loves it.

Where is this going- I dunno... I agree with you that the popularity of this type of Loss of Control and usability May Be Short lived and ultimately, spell the demise of these alternate Operating Systems. And Microsoft may well sense it, too. They are now Burrowing heavily into us, trying to meld the two together. I keep finding more and more distressing articles on this and.... the lazy majority goes along with it. Complacent and happy. As always since the dawn of the human age.

Swarfendor437

Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:10:51 pm

... and Linus Torvalds' naivety when it comes to Google and Microshaft! :evil: