This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

ugly panel tray after sometime

manmath

Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:16:12 pm

hi all,
i am over all happy with zorin 5.2 except for just one annoyance. For last few days I am seeing some ugly patches on the panel near system panel. I've attached the screenshot. Somebody please suggest me some fix to this cosmetic annoyance.
Screenshot.png
ugly blue rectangles on gnome-panel
Screenshot.png (23.1 KiB)

Wolfman

Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:10:48 pm

Hi,

try updating your graphics card drivers via the Control Center. If you have an ATI card, there are some issues with those cards and Linux!!.

Try simply running an update if you haven't already!1.

Regards Wolfman :D

manmath

Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:39:17 am

updated ati drivers. removed all the applets, cleaned the panel, then added the complete set of applets. still the problem persists.

Wolfman

Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:14:36 am

Have you tried different themes and does it still happen.

Try installing the "shiki color" set, this will give you more support for themes and you can try different ones out!!.

Regards Wolfman :D

madvinegar

Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:01:46 am

Which look are you using? Win7?

In any case, as I used to have a similar problem in a Win7 look, I found a quick solution as follows.

Go to start-up applications and add for the second time the application gnome-panel. As name and description write whatever you like (i.e. Panel).

This will load the panel twice at startup, so if it is not loaded correctly the first time, it will be loaded correctly the second time.

Ofcourse you do not see any of the above happening and you only get one panel loaded.

Hope this helps.

After changing to gnome look, I never had any problem with the panels.

manmath

Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:52:38 am

Tried. Those blue rectangles keep coming back.

madvinegar

Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:51:32 pm

If you open a terminal and write:

Code:
killall gnome-panel

does the panel come back without any problems?

manmath

Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:45:57 pm

after "killall gnome-panel" i get a clean gnome panel without those ugly rectangles, but after reboot those rectables come back on the panel near system tray. weird. is killing the gnome panel on reboot the only option?

madvinegar

Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:21:01 pm

I know what you mean. I had exactly the same issues. It probably has to do with some minor bug in the graphics card.

Have you considered changing the look to Gnome? I did that and with the Gnome look I never had any of these (or any other) problems with the panel.

You can get your desktop to look very very nice even in Gnome look.
See pictures of mine to get an idea. The possibilities are endless.

madvinegar

Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:33:21 pm

Otherwise add for the 3rd time the "gnome-panel" application at start-up programs. I am not joking. I had done this, and I only had problems rarely.

manmath

Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:07:07 pm

Changed to gnome look. I did not see the problem since 3 reboots. Hope it's solved. Thanks all for your support, especially madvinegar!

However, on a side note, it's really weird to experience such problems. Linux is great, but such minor issues sometimes turn me down. Perhaps the components are not well integrated.

madvinegar

Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:43:05 pm

No problem my friend. Glad I helped.

I agree with you. I was also frustrated with this minor problem, but as I said, after changing to Gnome Look, I never had any of these problems again.