This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin changes my MS 10 time to 6 hours ahead

hurkeybird

Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:49:24 am

My clock in Zorin 15 shows 7:45 PM June 17, 2019. When I reboot to MS 10 the clock there shows 1:45 AM June 18, 2019. If I correct the time to the correct time while in MS 10 then reboot to Zorin 15 then the Zorin clock is off -6 hours. Someone PLEASE tell me how I can fix this and show the correct date/time in both OS's.

Swarfendor437

Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:17:46 pm

hurkeybird

Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:29:15 am

I am on Zorin 15 OS core install and since I'm new to Linux I don't have the foggiest idea of where to enter the following:

Changing Linux to use local time is easier and more reliable than changing Windows to use UTC, so dual-boot Linux/Windows systems tend to use local time.

Since Ubuntu Intrepid (8.10), the hardware clock is set to UTC by default.

Make Linux use ‘Local’ time
To tell your Ubuntu system that the hardware clock is set to ‘local’ time:

1. edit /etc/default/rcS

2. Set UTC=yes if your hardware clock is set to UTC (GMT), or UTC=no to have the hardware clock set to local time.

PLEASE HELP

Aravisian

Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:08:47 am

hurkeybird wrote:I am on Zorin 15 OS core install and since I'm new to Linux I don't have the foggiest idea of where to enter the following:

Changing Linux to use local time is easier and more reliable than changing Windows to use UTC, so dual-boot Linux/Windows systems tend to use local time.

1. edit /etc/default/rcS

2. Set UTC=yes if your hardware clock is set to UTC (GMT), or UTC=no to have the hardware clock set to local time.

PLEASE HELP

Hurkey,let's try the app menu, first.
Go to your app menu (The Zorin Icon on your panel) and click to System, then Administration. Then look for a sub menu called Date and Time.
From there you can select your location by drop down menu or by map.

Or, if you prefer to use the terminal,
press the key combo ctrl+alt+T
in the terminal type in (Or paste in)
Code:
sudo dpkg-reconfigure tzdata

From there, follow the instructions on the terminal (I would walk through that part too, but I am not using Zorin 15, so I cannot walk through it on my computer first to ensure I get it all right...)

Also, Zorin 15 is based on Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver. So if you do a net search for troubleshooting, try searching along with Ubuntu 18.04 or Bionic Beaver to get to the right walk through.
Hope this helps.

Aravisian

Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:19:37 am

hurkeybird wrote:I am on Zorin 15 OS core install and since I'm new to Linux I don't have the foggiest idea of where to enter the following:

1. edit /etc/default/rcS

PLEASE HELP

Ok... above, I gave a quick answer to the OP question on how to adjust timezone to local time.

Here, since the OP said he is unsure of how to get to the folder /etc, I will do a quick wlakthrough for that, (Though his /etc folder may not contain UTC information.)

First, you need administrator or Root Privileges.
First method; some File Managers allow you to right click an open area within a File Manager Window and scroll down to select "Open as root."
I am not sure if Nautlius does that and if Hurkey is using his first install of Zorin 15, he is using Nautlius as his file manager. ....For now... :D
So, let's get to using the Terminal. It's great to use (and can be fun) and no better timethan now to start:
ctrl+alt+T
Type in
Code:
gksudo nautilus

Enter your password and a file manager window will open that says "Elevated Privileges" near the top.
Now, you can make adjustments in the File System. Be Careful!
So for this example, you can select File System from the tree on the left side or press the Up Arrow near the top, beneath File-Edit-View-Go-...whatever the last one is...
Once you have pressed the arrow a couple times and can go no higher, you will see a series of folders. One, you will recognize- Home.
But, for this example, you should see bin, boot, dev... etc, first. Click open the etc folder.
You will see more folders in here, also arranged by alphabetical order.
Scroll down to a folder titled 'defaults'.
Easy so far, right?
In here you will see a lot of files.
Scroll down to the one called 'rcS.' You can double click that to open in a Text Editor Window. You may need to select "Display" if you get a pop up.
And there is your file. Mine... does not show UTC within it, so I preferred the above post on your answer. But let's say that yours DID have the UTC set to yes or no. All you would need to do is move to where it says "yes" or "no" in text, and change it by typing in the new text. Then click save.
This was to help you learn how to navigate folders, privileges and the terminal as a start, but please follow the suggested answer in the post above. If that does not work, we can try something else.

hurkeybird

Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:08:11 pm

does not recognize gksudo. nautilus is my default file manager shown on favorites bar at bottom of page. When I open it looks nothing like you have described. Does not ask me for a password and does not open a window that says "Elevated Privileges".

Swarfendor437

Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:01:01 pm

gksu has been deprecated - that is why it won't work - solution here:

https://itsfoss.com/gksu-replacement-ubuntu/

you can use 'sudo su' instead but be EXTREMELY careful as you are now 'ROOT'!!!!! :!:

hurkeybird

Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:16:06 pm

After all this I read the fix for Windows 10 and it was a snap. So program solved by an EASY fix to Windows 10. Thanks for the help.

Aravisian

Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:57:14 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:gksu has been deprecated - that is why it won't work - solution here:

https://itsfoss.com/gksu-replacement-ubuntu/

you can use 'sudo su' instead but be EXTREMELY careful as you are now 'ROOT'!!!!! :!:

Well now... I did not know that. I still use gksu on mine daily, to open thunar as root.
I will keep this is mind when I upgrade to Zorin 15 in twenty years.
hurkeybird wrote:After all this I read the fix for Windows 10 and it was a snap. So program solved by an EASY fix to Windows 10. Thanks for the help.

Good to hear. Easy fixes are always the best. :D