This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Ardour and RT Kernel

tjo

Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:32:39 pm

For those of us wanting to use Zorin for audio projects with Ardour with a dedicated USB audio interface, is a real-time kernel recommended? If so, are there any recommendations as to what method we should use to install them? Thank you in advance.

tjo

Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:08:21 pm

Anyone?

Aravisian

Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:42:57 pm

tjo wrote:For those of us wanting to use Zorin for audio projects with Ardour with a dedicated USB audio interface, is a real-time kernel recommended? If so, are there any recommendations as to what method we should use to install them? Thank you in advance.

You would need to be doing some pretty hardcore audio processing to need RT kernel, there isn't much need for it if ultra-low latency isn’t required.
If you are using a USB interface, using an RT kernel would really show no difference.
Just my two bits.

tjo

Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:51:27 am

Thank you. Appreciate it.

tjo

Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:25:53 am

Just wanted to follow up on my initial question. Since I first posted have tried many a linux distro for making music including ubuntu studio. I have found my way back to Zorin as I love the look and feel and simplicity too much to use something else. I did actually end up running a low-latency kernel and have configured my CPU to "performance" mode to avoid audio dropouts with Jack with QJackCtl in realtime mode. I am running Bitwig Studio 3.0 with u-he plug-ins and Mixbus 32C with a Focusrite Scarlet 18i20 and an Octapre for a total of 16 tracks recording multiple synths, guitars, bass, and a live drum kit without a mixer. I am able to record on all tracks at once with no issues.

Just wanted to say THANK YOU for this great distribution and for making my studio look just a little more awesome.

Aravisian

Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:10:19 pm

tjo wrote:Just wanted to follow up on my initial question. Since I first posted have tried many a linux distro for making music including ubuntu studio. I have found my way back to Zorin as I love the look and feel and simplicity too much to use something else. I did actually end up running a low-latency kernel and have configured my CPU to "performance" mode to avoid audio dropouts with Jack with QJackCtl in realtime mode. I am running Bitwig Studio 3.0 with u-he plug-ins and Mixbus 32C with a Focusrite Scarlet 18i20 and an Octapre for a total of 16 tracks recording multiple synths, guitars, bass, and a live drum kit without a mixer. I am able to record on all tracks at once with no issues.

Just wanted to say THANK YOU for this great distribution and for making my studio look just a little more awesome.

Not that my comment was all that helpful... But I am glad you got things working to your liking. Sometimes awesome is what we make of it. ;)