This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

GCStar Installation Instructions Please

hurkeybird

Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:40:08 am

I'm using Zorin os 15 core and wanting a DVD catalog program that will import my DVD Profiler (windows) library and GCStar will do that. I downloaded it but have no idea on how to install it. The file is gcstar-1.6.1.tar.gz . I cannot find any installation instructions anywhere, only downloads. Can someone please help me install it?

Aravisian

Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:40:07 am

Hurkey, in some of Swarfendors Unofficial Manuals he teaches this method that I will relay below. Worth a read for more than just a user guide, you can find various tricks and tips, too. He made these manuals as a Volunteer and PCFan helped with the Spanish manuals (Not to be confused with the Spanish Manuel.)
For Zorin OS 15, look here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14361
Now, let's take a look at this nifty tip for converting and installing packages a little more easily:
In terminal put:
Code:
sudo apt-get install alien

Alien is terminal run software that helps to convert file types into other file types.
In this case, you will want to convert "gcstar-1.6.1.tar.gz" to "gcstar-1.6.1.deb"
Open a terminal in the Folder that gcstar-1.6.1.tar.gz resides in. If you prefer to open terminal as home (or ~), just move gcstar-1.6.1.tar.gz to your home folder.
In that terminal put:
Code:
sudo alien gcstar-1.6.1.tar.gz gcstar-1.6.1.deb

Too easy, right? No wonder Swarfendor's not gettin paid.
Now that you have a shiny new copy of gcstar-1.6.1.deb, install it using Gdebi Package Manager.
If you have not yet installed Gdebi Package manager, you can install from "Software" package manager or Synaptic or terminal:
Code:
sudo apt-get -y install gdebi

Gdebi is definitely worth having.

hurkeybird

Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:51:06 pm

after install alien command a lot of commands execute after I entered my pw a lot of commands executed so I assume alien installed. Then after entering "sudo alien gcstar-1.6.1tar.gz gcstar-1.6.1.deb I get the message gcstar not found. What am I doing wrong.

hurkeybird

Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:00:17 pm

I tried again and this time I got "Must run as root to convert to deb format ( or you may use fakeroot)."

Aravisian

Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:45:51 am

You must run alien in terminal from a terminal opened in the same folder that contains the file you wish to convert.
If you ran into a sudo issue, I must assume there was a typo in typing "sudo."

hurkeybird

Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:25:22 am

It said it converted. The home directory now has a file called "GCStar_1.6.1-2_all.deb" What do I do now?

Aravisian

Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:47:56 am

hurkeybird wrote:It said it converted. The home directory now has a file called "GCStar_1.6.1-2_all.deb" What do I do now?

Have you installed Gdebi?
If not, you can install it with the terminal request:
Code:
sudo apt-get install gdebi

Once Gdebi package manager is installed, you can select it as a program to open the file with by Right Clicking your GCStar_1.6.1-2_all.deb file. Choose program to open with.
Gdebi is a good package manager for .deb files and it will also check for any missing dependencies before running the install.

hurkeybird

Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:05:23 am

I installed debi I then right clickon the GCStar*****.deb file and selected open with other program and selected debi package installer and selected install. It finished installing and I see a popup program ready to use but I cant find it anywhere to run it.

Aravisian

Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:19:55 am

hurkeybird wrote:I installed debi I then right clickon the GCStar*****.deb file and selected open with other program and selected debi package installer and selected install. It finished installing and I see a popup program ready to use but I cant find it anywhere to run it.

When that happens to me, I usually hit alt F2 and type the name in there or in terminal. Remember, there are no spaces in file names in terminal or in alt F2. Replace spaces with a dash. For example Gnome tweak tool would be typed in alt F2 or Terminal as gnome-tweak-tool
In your applications menu, there is also a Search bar. You can try searching for it there. I am not sure if Zorin 15 OS has "Application Finder" listed under accessories, or not...

hurkeybird

Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:43:56 am

I typed "GCStar" then "GCStar_1.6.1-2" then "GCStar_1.6.1-2" then "GCStar_1.6.1-2_all" and got a command not found for each.

Aravisian

Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:48:55 am

hurkeybird wrote:I typed "GCStar" then "GCStar_1.6.1-2" then "GCStar_1.6.1-2" then "GCStar_1.6.1-2_all" and got a command not found for each.

Yeah, that can get frustrating when using terminal; being unsure of how to properly type it to get the response you want.
I'd suggest first carefully scanning each sub-menuof your Applications menu again, just to be sure.
You can probably find the executable in the GCStar folder in /usr/share/applications. But an easier method of launching would be preferred.
Did your copy of Zorin come with a File Search App in the Accessories Sub-menu?

hurkeybird

Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:20:30 pm

I clicked on accessories, then files and after files opened I searched for /usr/share/applications and it returned "No Results Found"
I guess a need to get a copy of Linux for Dummies. Wish I could find something like Zorin for dummies or something similar.

Aravisian

Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:13:10 pm

hurkeybird wrote:I clicked on accessories, then files and after files opened I searched for /usr/share/applications and it returned "No Results Found"
I guess a need to get a copy of Linux for Dummies. Wish I could find something like Zorin for dummies or something similar.

heh heh heh:
https://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/linux- ... LQQAvD_BwE

Personally, I wouldn't buy the book, though. Few people would sit down, study and read it and then go to the OS like a champ. The best way to learn is to get in and get your elbows dirty. It can be trying at first, as learning just about anything is. But well rewarding.
Linux offers much better and more efficient file management and structure. It is generally faster than windows and more intuitive.
MS has linux beat on software availability- true... But Linux has "Wine."
I did find this:|
https://wiki.gcstar.org/en/install_linux#ubuntu
You might just try installing by the method outlined on the GCStar webpage and see if that resolves the issue.
Those instructions are:
Add repository
Code:
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:gcstar/ppa

Update repository
Code:
sudo apt update

install GCStar
Code:
sudo apt-get install gcstar

Just copy and paste each line into terminal and follow the terminal through the process.
I just followed the instructions to test that they work. It did work on my Zorin 12.4 core.
I was able to launch it in terminal by typing
Code:
gcstar

It opened just fine. However, I searched the applications menu and I could not find it in the menu, anywhere. But launching from terminal did work on my machine.

Swarfendor437

Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:26:57 pm

To get to usr | share | applications go to your 'Home' folder and open it. In the left pane click on '+ Other Locations' then in the right pane, click on 'Computer' now browse to 'usr' - open it, then open 'share', then open 'applications'. When you type the first letter of a folder it will go straight to the first folder with that letter. ;) :D

Aravisian

Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:35:47 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:To get to usr | share | applications go to your 'Home' folder and open it. In the left pane click on '+ Other Locations' then in the right pane, click on 'Computer' now browse to 'usr' - open it, then open 'share', then open 'applications'. When you type the first letter of a folder it will go straight to the first folder with that letter. ;) :D

Swarfendor, given that the "Zorin for Dummies" comment went right over my head... I will copy and paste your post from a different thread to here as it applies.
Swarfendor437 wrote:
hurkeybird wrote:Problem Fixed. I clicked on the link above and it had links to fix both firefox and chrome. I'm using chrome and installed the extension "Chromium Wheel Smooth Scroller" and clicked on extensions options and adjusted steps. Thanks for the help.

Don't forget to download the Unofficial Manual. ;) :D

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14361#p63543

-facepalm-