This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin OS U. 12.4 vs. release Zorin OS U. 15

PCGamer

Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:11:17 am

Hi All !!

Have one question about the Release from Zorin Ultimate 15 ...
i bought the Zorin OS Ultimate 12.4 ~ 8 month ago.

So my question is can I update my version to the U15
or have to buy the Zorin 15 U15 again?!?!

And if I have to buy them again ~
then may I ask - why?!

Best regards
Oliver

Swarfendor437

Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:08:04 pm

PM AZorin and ask for a discount. ;) :D

Aravisian

Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:03:39 pm

PCGamer wrote:Hi All !!

Have one question about the Release from Zorin Ultimate 15 ...
i bought the Zorin OS Ultimate 12.4 ~ 8 month ago.

So my question is can I update my version to the U15
or have to buy the Zorin 15 U15 again?!?!

And if I have to buy them again ~
then may I ask - why?!

Best regards
Oliver

Oliver,
I agree with Swarfendors suggestion. There is certainly no harm in asking. I do want to add a few thoughts, though.
First, since you bought 12.4, I would suggest you use that channel that came with its Tech Support to open the communication. It may be faster to actually reach the team. The Zorin team is currently understaffed. There is no sense in bothering to beat around the bush on that detail.

Secondly... Let's take a moment to examine the concept- of Buying. This is not word play or trickery, merely a matter of perspective.
What are you getting for your purchase when you Buy Zorin OS? Well, pretty much everything on it is stuff you could have installed yourself, for free.
It's FOSS, baby!
What you are paying for is the offer for Tech Support- but also for their Gathering and Compilation of the software. Have you ever struggled to install a program, ran into dependency issues, bugs, conflicts and so on? In Buying Zorin OS, you are paying them to deal with all that hassle, for you.
But most importantly, considering that you could have gotten it all for free, could have installed Zorin OS Core for free and then installed a few more programs yourself, at no added cost, what you are really doing by Buying Ultimate is Showing the Team support, encouragement and gratitude for what they have put out there for us to have and use. It's more like a donation than a purchase.
If everyone only ever installed Core or Lite and no one (If there were no people like you,) supported the team by buying Ultimate Editions, there would Be No Zorin OS. So from us all, thank you for being a person like you.
There is no harm in asking the Zorins, since only a few months separated the purchase you made and the release of OS 15, if they can help you out. But from your perspective, you may also ask yourself whether you may choose to install 15 Core edition, instead - or work an arrangement to reduce yourself to one donation rather than getting hit with two donations when what you really wanted was One Good OS in the first place. Or, to show the Zorin Team a great deal of support.
There is no right or wrong answer, only decisions.
If you decide to install Core Edition, add the rest yourself and run into pesky issues- please ask on this forum and people here will do their best to help.

Swarfendor437

Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:06:14 pm

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Great post! :D :D :D

PCGamer

Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:02:50 pm

….

1. I didn´t ask for an Discount.

2. Your suggest was wrong - no Tech Supp needed

3. Really well played with words …. @Aravisian ~~
i don´t understand ones ~ helping a Little Crew of Developers make Money is one Thing ~ pay them the daily coffee ~ and i´ll really helps …
but don´t understand the increase the Price (~20$) and this missplayed Marketing …

but as you wrote - it´s by myself …
there a lot Linux Distributions ~ and some better …

"There is no right or wrong answer, only decisions. " - true ;)

Swarfendor437

Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:05:46 pm

PCGamer wrote:….

1. I didn´t ask for an Discount.

2. Your suggest was wrong - no Tech Supp needed

i don´t understand ones ~ helping a Little Crew of Developers make Money is one Thing ~ pay them the daily coffee ~ and i´ll really helps …
but don´t understand the increase the Price (~20$) and this missplayed Marketing …

OK, so as you are an experienced user (like me? :D ) just download core - it is quite easy to add most of the apps (which I have listed elsewhere) via Synaptic Package Manager - I'm only using Core at the moment and am well satisfied. ;)

Aravisian

Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:10:05 pm

PCGamer wrote:….

It seems to me that some people claim "Word play" when they hear what they do not want to hear. No one is obligated to cater to your entitlement issues. Zorin 15 is 100% FREE and no amount of 'word play" will change that.