This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

solvedConnecting A Brother Printer For Wireless

pipercub45

Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:33:26 pm

I have a Brother printer HL-L3290CDW that is suppose to be wireless and am looking for a tutorial or info on how to do this. I have a wifi connection.

Thanks

Aravisian

Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:36:49 pm

pipercub45 wrote:I have a Brother printer HL-L3290CDW that is suppose to be wireless and am looking for a tutorial or info on how to do this. I have a wifi connection.

Thanks

Piper, any of these help?
https://help.brother-usa.com/app/answer ... ol---linux
https://support.brother.com/g/s/id/wlan ... index.html

chrissi55

Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:27:51 am

I have a HL-3070CW LAN/WiFi capable Color Laser successfully installed under zorinos 15.

The drivers are allready implemented into zorin. Usually your printer has an IP Adress of your network.

If cups recognized your network device (printer by ip / hostname) you can choose it from list of results and finish setup by assistant.
-> means address = "localhost"

Otherwise you can use the real-ip of your brother via AppSocket / JetDirect -> address = "YOUR-LAN-IP-OF-PRINTER"
-> https://wiki.ubuntuusers.de/GNOME_Druckerkonfiguration/

chrissi55

Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:32:40 am

If you prefer the brother install app for your printer you can download all needed files for zorin here

-> https://support.brother.com/g/b/downloa ... _us&os=128

The Tool means really tool -> not the driver!
By making the tool executable
$ chmod +x <TOOLNAME>
$ ./TOOLNAME

The assistant will download all latest drivers for you and setup your scanner + printer (choose your IP-Printer address during setup!!!)

pipercub45

Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:56:10 pm

Thanks for the responses! One question. What is an IP address and where would I find it?

chrissi55

Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:02:58 pm

pipercub45 wrote:.... What is an IP address and where would I find it?

Each Network Device needs an unique IPv4 / IPv6 address so your pc / notebook etc. knows where to find your printer!

Look at the manual -> i made a screenshot of the page with steps to reproduce ...

Look at the Status page / printer wifi report there must be mentioned the actual IPv4 address of the printer that has been delivered by your homerouter / home DHCP Server.

Swarfendor437

Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:19:24 pm

If you have a smartphone (android) use this handy app:

Screenshot_20190623-151627.jpg

chrissi55

Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:35:59 pm

and from the zorin shop you can grab nmap

(or if you need a gui -> use Zenmap)

chrissi55

Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:47:36 pm

Using nmap after install:

Open terminal -> press Alt + F2 and type "gnome-terminal"
then type into command -> nmap -sn your-network

Example Fritz!Box -> IP = 192.168.178.1 (default)

then your-network scan should look like this

nmap -sn 192.168.178.1/24

You will get a list of all hosts (by name + ip) that are up and have a valid IP address of your Fritz!Box Router.

pipercub45

Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:46:30 pm

Thanks for the replies! I am trying to make sense of things. I don't understand "sudo" command I guess? Sounds like it is for administration privileges. I am getting a status message that says "There is a missing print filter for the printer 'CUPS-BRF-Printer'" I have no idea what that is. I think it is for the HP CP 3505n UPD PS printer and not the Brother HL-L3290CDW printer.

Swarfendor437

Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:56:36 pm

If you have not installed Synaptic Package Manager yet, do so from the Software channel. Open it (you will be asked for your login password to elevate you to 'root') and search for 'brother' - there are lots of add-ons to get your printer working - be sure to look at the description for each packaged before marking for installation and then pressing the Apply button. ;) :D (Page 95 of the Unofficial Manual for Zorin 15) ;)

pipercub45

Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:03:05 pm

I am such a newbe at this. Where do I find the manual for Zorin 15? To find the "Synaptic Package Manager" where do I look? I tried clicking on the "Z" icon at the bottom left. Then the "software" icon. Then I went through the 6 categories and could not find it. I cannot find "nmap" as it asks for "sudo" and a pass word which I used mine to start the computer. That did not work. I don't know where the "Zorin" shop is unless that is the "z" icon at the lower left hand corner. I don't know how to use a "GUI" to find "zenmap". Pathetic I know.

Aravisian

Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:16:15 pm

pipercub45 wrote:I am such a newbe at this. Where do I find the manual for Zorin 15? To find the "Synaptic Package Manager" where do I look? I tried clicking on the "Z" icon at the bottom left. Then the "software" icon. Then I went through the 6 categories and could not find it. I cannot find "nmap" as it asks for "sudo" and a pass word which I used mine to start the computer. That did not work. I don't know where the "Zorin" shop is unless that is the "z" icon at the lower left hand corner. I don't know how to use a "GUI" to find "zenmap". Pathetic I know.

Better to be a newbie than an oldie :D

The Unofficial Manual is something Swarfendorr wrote in his own time to help out. It is still a Work in Progress as Zorin 15 is a recent release.
You can find a copy here:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14361

https://app.box.com/s/sp7uzb7r2o731g7jkn6tcb8gxvtz6gvy
I THINK that by "Zorin Shop" Chrissi55 was referring to the Software Channel which is labeled simply as "Software" on your Zorin Icon App menu.

If you already have Synaptic installed, navigate from the "Z" icon (Or apps-menu or Start or whatever you want to call it) to System tools, then Administration drop down menu and it should be listed there, in alphabetical order.
If it is not there, then you have not yet installed it. Clicking the Z icon, navigate to "Software" and a GUI will open offering the latest and greatest in software you can install. Type in the search bar "Synaptic".
Personally, I dislike the "Software" channel. It's faster (a LOT faster) and easier to install from terminal.
Hit ctl-alt-T to pull up terminal OR you can find it in the Z icon app menu by again going to System tools and then down in alphabetical order to T.
in terminal enter
Code:
sudo apt-get install synaptic

See? MUCH faster and easier. And the more you use the terminal, the more you get used to it.
It will want your password, again. Secure, isn't it?
It will then install.
Opening Synaptic also makes use of your password.
Once you have Synaptic installed and opened on your screen, at the top of the synaptic window you should see a Search Option. Click that and search "Brother" and you should see:
Brother-cups-wrapper
brother-lpr-drivers
printer-driver-brlaser
printer-driver-ptouch
those are the items you want to examine.

You can ignore Drascula...

pipercub45

Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:32:53 pm

Synaptic is now installed. If I go to "system tools" and click on it. I cannot find an "Administration" drop down menu. If I use "terminal" I get a screen ****@****-HP-Compac-8200_Elite-SFF-PC (the asterisks being my password) and the next line being "File, Edit, View, Search, Terminal, Help". The next line in green is the same as the top line. If I type "Brother" I get "Brother: command not found". The top line and green line are another computer. If I click on "Search" I get choices of "Find" "Find Next" "Find Previous" "Clear Highlight".

Swarfendor437

Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:25:41 pm

You don't need terminal. Use the search bar in the Zorin menu and type Synaptic it will return only one application. Select it and then you will be greeted with an authentication window where you enter your password you login with. Once done you have root privileges (it's the same as 'Run as...' in that other OS. ;)

pipercub45

Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:49:29 pm

I give up. I have learned things like "synoptic" and such. I will just stick with "wired printers". To many hours trying to figure things out. Thanks for all you help!

Swarfendor437

Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:55:24 pm

I don't know if Brother is the same way as what HP do with their wireless printers - with HP all-in-ones you have to make a physical connection to the PC in order to enter an IP address on the LCD Panel. It actually states in this Linux Mint guide to installing Brother Printers you need to make a physical connection to the PC first before networking:

https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... nters.html

pipercub45

Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:07:59 pm

There is a button on the printer that says "WIFI" and if I push it it flashes green and says "setup wifi? Yes or No". If I push the "+' sign it says "Connecting WLAN". The printer is also "wired " to the computer. I have no idea what "WLAN" is.

Swarfendor437

Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:10:50 pm

W(ireless)L(ocal)A(rea)N(etwork) :D