This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Can't convert tar.gz file to deb

hurkeybird

Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:59:09 pm

I'm using Zorin os 15 core. Trying to install Apache OpenOffice when I try to convert the downloaded tar.gz file to deb using Alien in a terminal opened where it resides it ask for my password then says file not found.
my command looks like this: subo alien Apache_OpenOffice_4.1.6linux_x86-64_install-deb_en-US.tar.gz Apache_OpenOffice

Aravisian

Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:03:56 pm

hurkeybird wrote:I'm using Zorin os 15 core. Trying to install Apache OpenOffice when I try to convert the downloaded tar.gz file to deb using Alien in a terminal opened where it resides it ask for my password then says file not found.
my command looks like this: subo alien Apache_OpenOffice_4.1.6linux_x86-64_install-deb_en-US.tar.gz Apache_OpenOffice

If you are getting "File not found" please double check that the file you are converting is in the same folder that you opened your terminal in.
Also, try structuring your command as this:
Code:
sudo alien Apache_OpenOffice_4.1.6linux_x86-64_install-deb_en-US.tar.gz Apache_OpenOffice_4.1.6linux_x86-64_install-deb_en-US.deb

hurkeybird

Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:26:35 pm

In my post I entered the file name wrong (but not in the terminal). The file name has and "_" between 4.1.6 and x86-64. If I enter select all a get the message "bash: syntax error near unexpected token 'sudo' ". When I enter sudo alien apache_openoffice_4.1.6_linux_install-deb_en-us.tar.gz apache_openoffice_4.1.6_linux_x86-64_install-deb_en-us.deb without the select all command it ask for my pw then returns "file "apache_openoffice_4.1.6_linux_x86-64_install-deb_en-us.tar.gz" not found". and I am opening the terminal in the same location as the file.

Aravisian

Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:48:46 pm

hurkeybird wrote:In my post I entered the file name wrong (but not in the terminal). The file name has and "_" between 4.1.6 and x86-64. If I enter select all a get the message "bash: syntax error near unexpected token 'sudo' ". When I enter sudo alien apache_openoffice_4.1.6_linux_install-deb_en-us.tar.gz apache_openoffice_4.1.6_linux_x86-64_install-deb_en-us.deb without the select all command it ask for my pw then returns "file "apache_openoffice_4.1.6_linux_x86-64_install-deb_en-us.tar.gz" not found". and I am opening the terminal in the same location as the file.

Hurkey, have you tried it with:
Code:
sudo alien <file-name.tar.gz> <file-name.deb>

Where you replace "file-name" with the name of your file? The <> carrots are only there to demonstrate that the file-name will change to the file name you wish to use and cannot be included when you type it in terminal.

hurkeybird

Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:11:15 pm

Yes, and that's when it returns "bash: syntax error near unexpected token 'sudo' ".

Swarfendor437

Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:48:16 pm

It would appear there is a .deb packaged version of Apache OpenOffice already:

https://tecadmin.net/install-apache-ope ... tu-debian/

Aravisian

Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:49:43 pm

hurkeybird wrote:Yes, and that's when it returns "bash: syntax error near unexpected token 'sudo' ".

Hmm... if you double click the file, does the Archive Manager offer to extract it?
If so, does that lead to an extracted folder containing .deb files (In other words, no need for the use of the alien software)?

EDIT: I see your Swarf is as big as mine.

hurkeybird

Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:21:31 pm

Extract did it. Got it installed. NOW if I can just figure out where it put it????? Not listed under other files\computer\usr\share\applications. It said it finished installing it but I can't find it anywhere.

Aravisian

Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:47:18 pm

hurkeybird wrote:Extract did it. Got it installed. NOW if I can just figure out where it put it????? Not listed under other files\computer\usr\share\applications. It said it finished installing it but I can't find it anywhere.

Hurkey, can you look at your app menu for the Search Bar and try searching for it using that function?
I found the following on Apache website:
Code:
Note: Apache OpenOffice executable is called soffice and is located in /opt/OpenOffice4/program/
A softlink is created on your /usr/local/bin/ directory. You can always map to the original at /opt/ if it doesnt start
for whatever reason.

I suspect that typing soffice in terminal should work, too.

hurkeybird

Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:57:08 pm

Did not find with search. It created the .deb file in home\downloads\en-us\desktop-intergration.

Aravisian

Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:58:35 pm

hurkeybird wrote:Did not find with search. It created the .deb file in home\downloads\en-us\desktop-intergration.

Ah, ok. What happens if you open that file with Gdebi?

From the same Apache site, was this longer form (sic):
Code:
Linux DEB-based Installation

One you download the Apache OpenOffice tar.gz package, you should be able to decompress typing.
    tar Apache-OpenOfficeX.X.X.tar.gz package or using programs such as Ark, or File-Roller.
    cd into the DEBS subdirectory of the installation directory.
    You should see a lot of debs here and one sub-directory called "desktop-integration".
    Install this new version by typing sudo dpkg -i *.deb or become root using su command.
    By default, this will install/update Apache OpenOffice in your /opt directory.

Alternatively, you can use a GUI package installer, reference the installation directory, and install all debs at the top level. This may also aid you in determing any dependency problems if they exist.
    Install the desktop integration features for your setup.
    cd to desktop-integration (in the installation directory),
    and install the desktop intgration using dpkg.
    Finally, start up Apache OpenOffice 4.x.x to insure it's working.

hurkeybird

Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:10:15 pm

How do I go to /opt/OpenOffice4/program?

Aravisian

Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:17:25 pm

hurkeybird wrote:How do I go to /opt/OpenOffice4/program?

We should be sure that all dependencies are met and that the installation is successful; Could you open the file with Gdebi and run it through that debian installer?
To get to /opt/openoffice4, open your File manager and click the "Sile system" or "Other location" option on the left side. The same way you get to the usr folder.
In that same grouping where you see the home folder, usr folder, var, dev, lib, etc- you should also see opt. If you do not see the opt folder, than that means that the Apache Office did not properly install and therefor, it did not create the folder.

hurkeybird

Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:36:18 pm

I misread. That is what I did and when it said Installation finished I thought it had installed. After reading again, I see that at the top says "Failed to install package 'openoffice4.1-debian-menus_4.1.6-9790_all.deb' ". Then at the bottom (last line of batch commands) Errors were encountered while processing:
/home/hurkeybird/downloads/en-us/debs/desktop-intergration/openoffice4.1-debian-menus_4.1.6-9700_all.deb

Aravisian

Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:43:45 pm

hurkeybird wrote:I misread. That is what I did and when it said Installation finished I thought it had installed. After reading again, I see that at the top says "Failed to install package 'openoffice4.1-debian-menus_4.1.6-9790_all.deb' ". Then at the bottom (last line of batch commands) Errors were encountered while processing:
/home/hurkeybird/downloads/en-us/debs/desktop-intergration/openoffice4.1-debian-menus_4.1.6-9700_all.deb

It's a struggle, isn't it? All you wanted was an operational Office Software suite.
Well, referencing the quoted portion from the Apache website above, if it was me and my machine, I would just start at the beginning.
From the original decompressed tar.gz file, move to the Debs folder in the Installation directory. From there, look for a folder titled "desktop-integration" and click that folder open. Find an open area inside the folder and right click it, then choose "Open Terminal here."
In that terminal, paste in:
Code:
sudo dpkg -i *.deb

Let's see if that installs it in the /opt folder.

If it fails, I have another trick up my sleeve.

Aravisian

Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:21:42 am

Hopefully things went smoothly on your end. But if not...
I am going to need to go take care of other tasks. In the meantime, I am going to put in here a walkthrough, though a bit old, that covers OpenOffice as a terminal install. That way, you only need to follow the lines, one at a time.
It's better to Uninstall LibreOffice, first. You can skip this if you want to, but there will probably be conflict between the two if you keep both.
Code:
sudo apt-get remove --purge libreoffice* libexttextcat-data* && sudo apt-get autoremove

I removed Libre on my other machine completely and have not bothered to replace it. It's an autodiagnostic machine so has no need for any office bogging it down.
Code:
cd /tmp

This changes your directory to the temp folder
Code:
wget http://sourceforge.net/projects/openofficeorg.mirror/files/4.0.0/binaries/en-US/Apache_OpenOffice_4.0.0_Linux_x86-64_install-deb_en-US.tar.gz

That way, the above will put the download in tmp.
Next,
Code:
tar -xvf Apache_OpenOffice*.tar.gz

To extract it, like before.
then to install:
Code:
sudo dpkg -i en-US/DEBS/*.deb

A bit like I suggested above in the post about starting over.
For the desktop-integration (Where you had the error in Gdebi)
Code:
sudo dpkg -i en-US/DEBS/desktop-integration/*.deb

After doing all of the above, reboot and then check if Apache is where it is supposed to be.