This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

MS Office In Wine Vs. Virtual System

mdiemer

Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:31:59 am

Anybody have a thought on which works better for MS Office, Wine or Virtual Box? I am testing it in Virtual Box (on Vista 32 bit!), and while it's not bad, it's also considerably less than optimal. I have yet to get Wine working so I can't compare at the moment. I'm guessing Wine would be better, simply because a virtual install of Windows is a lot more baggage than Wine.

If you're wondering why I'm doing this, it's not for me, it's for my wife. I'm hoping to get her off Windows by January. Already have Zorin 15 up and running on her laptop. I have Free Office on there, because she doesn't like Libre much. I'm just trying all the options, which also include running Windows 7 after EOL, but offline, mainly for games and Office, but using Linux for everything else.

And as for Vista, I had to install it on my old desktop, where I'm testing stuff out for her. That's what it came with. Vista, wow, that's really going back...

Swarfendor437

Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:07:08 pm

What version of Office?

Also Vista is still available? http://allpcworld.com/microsoft-windows ... 32-64-bit/ :lol:

mdiemer

Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:10:06 pm

It's wine 4. I installed it using this tutorial, since other methods resulted in Office 10 not working:

https://computingforgeeks.com/how-to-in ... x-mint-19/

It worked perfectly, but Office failed during installation at the point where the line was about halfway. The error message was simply that an error had occurred and the install failed. It accepted the product key and I thought it was going to work this time, but no such luck.

Swarfendor437

Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:42:31 pm

There was an article in either Linux Magazine or User and Developer a while back - I will try and dig it out and possibly create a pdf out of it. ;) :D

mdiemer

Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:54:34 pm

That would be great. This wine thing is really frustrating. Believe me, if it was just for me I would have given up long ago and be happily using an alternative (which I am). But if it makes the wife more likely to use Linux, I will soldier on.

The onlt thing I ever got working on Wine was LMMS, and I got a lot of help from AZorin.

mdiemer

Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:14:33 am

Well, I finally got MS Office 10 installed. But I can't seem to open it. At the end of the installation, after it said install was done, a box came up which had to do with installing Microsoft fonts. I clicked to install them, but nothing happened, so I closed it. Maybe that messed things up?

Anyway, when I try to open a xlsx file using Play On Linux, I get "There is nothing installed to run xlsx files."

Lost at this point. I don't know why I am even bothering with this, Free Office is so much better. The things we do for love...

Aravisian

Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:40:37 am

mdiemer wrote: The things we do for love...

Such as putting your foot down and saying, "Babe, here it is. Take it and like it."
That's what Microsoft does, after-all.

Swarfendor437

Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:38:11 am

OK, First don't use POL. I would remove POL. I've not had chance to search for that article. When I do I'll post the link. :) :D

mdiemer

Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:02:28 pm

Aravisian wrote:
mdiemer wrote: The things we do for love...

Such as putting your foot down and saying, "Babe, here it is. Take it and like it."
That's what Microsoft does, after-all.

HaHa, but you don't know my wife! I wouldn't eat for days, except for sandwiches or whatever else I managed to scrounge up....

Swarfendor437

Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:51:19 pm

Hi mdiener,

Have PM'd you. ;) :D

Also check this out:

https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... &iId=17336

Note it is for 32-bit version of Office it may not run in Wine of which there is a 64-bit version but Wine works best with 32-bit version from experience.