This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] failed to download repository information check

carmar

Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:44:25 am

Hi,

I'm getting the error shown in the subject line when I run Software Updater. If I use sudo apt-get update, then I get the result below:
Hit:1 https://packages.zorinos.com/stable bionic InRelease
Hit:2 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic InRelease
Hit:3 https://packages.zorinos.com/patches bionic InRelease
Hit:4 https://packages.zorinos.com/apps bionic InRelease
Hit:5 https://packages.zorinos.com/drivers bionic InRelease
Get:6 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic-updates InRelease [88.7 kB]
Ign:7 http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-wine/ppa/ubuntu bionic InRelease
Get:8 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic-security InRelease [88.7 kB]
Hit:9 http://ppa.launchpad.net/zorinos/apps/ubuntu bionic InRelease
Get:10 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic-backports InRelease [74.6 kB]
Hit:11 http://ppa.launchpad.net/zorinos/drivers/ubuntu bionic InRelease
Hit:12 http://ppa.launchpad.net/zorinos/patches/ubuntu bionic InRelease
Hit:13 http://ppa.launchpad.net/zorinos/stable/ubuntu bionic InRelease
Err:14 http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-wine/ppa/ubuntu bionic Release
404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.95.83 80]
Reading package lists... Done
W: Target Packages (restricted/binary-amd64/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:46 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target Packages (restricted/binary-i386/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:46 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target Packages (restricted/binary-all/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:46 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target Translations (restricted/i18n/Translation-en_US) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:46 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target Translations (restricted/i18n/Translation-en) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:46 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target DEP-11 (restricted/dep11/Components-amd64.yml) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:46 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target DEP-11 (restricted/dep11/Components-all.yml) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:46 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target DEP-11-icons-small (restricted/dep11/icons-48x48.tar) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:46 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target DEP-11-icons (restricted/dep11/icons-64x64.tar) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:46 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target CNF (restricted/cnf/Commands-amd64) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:46 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target CNF (restricted/cnf/Commands-all) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:46 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target Packages (universe/binary-amd64/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:48 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target Packages (universe/binary-i386/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:48 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target Packages (universe/binary-all/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:48 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target Translations (universe/i18n/Translation-en_US) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:48 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target Translations (universe/i18n/Translation-en) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:48 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target DEP-11 (universe/dep11/Components-amd64.yml) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:48 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target DEP-11 (universe/dep11/Components-all.yml) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:48 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target DEP-11-icons-small (universe/dep11/icons-48x48.tar) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:48 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target DEP-11-icons (universe/dep11/icons-64x64.tar) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:48 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target CNF (universe/cnf/Commands-amd64) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:48 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target CNF (universe/cnf/Commands-all) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:48 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target Packages (main/binary-amd64/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:46 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target Packages (main/binary-i386/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:46 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target Packages (main/binary-all/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:46 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target Translations (main/i18n/Translation-en_US) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:46 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target Translations (main/i18n/Translation-en) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:46 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target DEP-11 (main/dep11/Components-amd64.yml) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:46 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target DEP-11 (main/dep11/Components-all.yml) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:46 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target DEP-11-icons-small (main/dep11/icons-48x48.tar) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:46 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target DEP-11-icons (main/dep11/icons-64x64.tar) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:46 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target CNF (main/cnf/Commands-amd64) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:46 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target CNF (main/cnf/Commands-all) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:46 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target Packages (multiverse/binary-amd64/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:50 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target Packages (multiverse/binary-i386/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:50 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target Packages (multiverse/binary-all/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:50 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target Translations (multiverse/i18n/Translation-en_US) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:50 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target Translations (multiverse/i18n/Translation-en) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:50 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target DEP-11 (multiverse/dep11/Components-amd64.yml) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:50 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target DEP-11 (multiverse/dep11/Components-all.yml) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:50 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target DEP-11-icons-small (multiverse/dep11/icons-48x48.tar) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:50 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target DEP-11-icons (multiverse/dep11/icons-64x64.tar) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:50 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target CNF (multiverse/cnf/Commands-amd64) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:50 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target CNF (multiverse/cnf/Commands-all) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:50 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
E: The repository 'http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-wine/ppa/ubuntu bionic Release' does not have a Release file.
N: Updating from such a repository can't be done securely, and is therefore disabled by default.
N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details.
W: Target Packages (restricted/binary-amd64/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:46 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target Packages (restricted/binary-i386/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:46 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target Packages (restricted/binary-all/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:46 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target Translations (restricted/i18n/Translation-en_US) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:46 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target Translations (restricted/i18n/Translation-en) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:46 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target DEP-11 (restricted/dep11/Components-amd64.yml) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:46 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target DEP-11 (restricted/dep11/Components-all.yml) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:46 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target DEP-11-icons-small (restricted/dep11/icons-48x48.tar) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:46 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target DEP-11-icons (restricted/dep11/icons-64x64.tar) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:46 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target CNF (restricted/cnf/Commands-amd64) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:46 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target CNF (restricted/cnf/Commands-all) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:46 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target Packages (universe/binary-amd64/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:48 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target Packages (universe/binary-i386/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:48 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target Packages (universe/binary-all/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:48 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target Translations (universe/i18n/Translation-en_US) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:48 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target Translations (universe/i18n/Translation-en) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:48 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target DEP-11 (universe/dep11/Components-amd64.yml) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:48 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target DEP-11 (universe/dep11/Components-all.yml) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:48 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target DEP-11-icons-small (universe/dep11/icons-48x48.tar) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:48 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target DEP-11-icons (universe/dep11/icons-64x64.tar) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:48 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target CNF (universe/cnf/Commands-amd64) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:48 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target CNF (universe/cnf/Commands-all) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:48 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target Packages (main/binary-amd64/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:46 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target Packages (main/binary-i386/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:46 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target Packages (main/binary-all/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:46 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target Translations (main/i18n/Translation-en_US) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:46 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target Translations (main/i18n/Translation-en) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:46 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target DEP-11 (main/dep11/Components-amd64.yml) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:46 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target DEP-11 (main/dep11/Components-all.yml) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:46 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target DEP-11-icons-small (main/dep11/icons-48x48.tar) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:46 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target DEP-11-icons (main/dep11/icons-64x64.tar) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:46 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target CNF (main/cnf/Commands-amd64) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:46 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target CNF (main/cnf/Commands-all) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:46 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target Packages (multiverse/binary-amd64/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:50 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target Packages (multiverse/binary-i386/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:50 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target Packages (multiverse/binary-all/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:50 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target Translations (multiverse/i18n/Translation-en_US) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:50 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target Translations (multiverse/i18n/Translation-en) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:50 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target DEP-11 (multiverse/dep11/Components-amd64.yml) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:50 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target DEP-11 (multiverse/dep11/Components-all.yml) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:50 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target DEP-11-icons-small (multiverse/dep11/icons-48x48.tar) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:50 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target DEP-11-icons (multiverse/dep11/icons-64x64.tar) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:50 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target CNF (multiverse/cnf/Commands-amd64) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:50 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target CNF (multiverse/cnf/Commands-all) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:50 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52

Searching online, I found https://askubuntu.com/questions/297222/ ... nformation and https://elementaryos.stackexchange.com/ ... tion-check
With the first link's suggestion, I checked all the sites listed in sources.list, they all work fine.
With the second link's suggestion, I tried clean, autoclean, update, upgrade but I still get back to the same error when I run the Software Updater.
Earlier, I had even tried commenting out the duplicated lines in sources.list and only leaving the superset line (52) in there. That just pointed me back to the ubuntu-wine Release error. I unchecked that choice in the Software Updater but I don't think that actually addresses the problem, so I reverted the choices to default.

Please advise. Thanks.

Aravisian

Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:55:15 am

Carmar, recommend you open Synaptic, go to settings and then scroll down to Repositories.
Make sure the first four boxes are checked, including the MultiVerse box.
Close that out,then restart your computer.
Open terminal and do a
Code:
sudo apt dist-upgrade

Code:
sudo apt update

Once done, see if Software shows any updates. When you open Software, you can type "update" in the search bar.

carmar

Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:15:28 pm

Thanks, Aravisian.

The updater popped up, with a list of updates, while I was still looking at the terminal results. I ran them all and it updated and asked me to reboot which I did. Now I run the updater again and it again states, "Failed to download repository information Check your Internet connection."
Tried again. Same result.

PS - In the Software Updater settings for Zorin software, the first four boxes were already checked so I didn't do a restart then, only restarted when system updated and asked me to restart.

PPS - After a few times of trying again I gave up and clicked ok and it now states "No software updates are available".

Aravisian

Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:48:19 pm

carmar wrote:Thanks, Aravisian.

The updater popped up, with a list of updates, while I was still looking at the terminal results. I ran them all and it updated and asked me to reboot which I did. Now I run the updater again and it again states, "Failed to download repository information Check your Internet connection."
Tried again. Same result.

PS - In the Software Updater settings for Zorin software, the first four boxes were already checked so I didn't do a restart then, only restarted when system updated and asked me to restart.

PPS - After a few times of trying again I gave up and clicked ok and it now states "No software updates are available".

This is kind of one of those things...
Sometimes, using the Software Channel, updates just refuse to install. Try later, and it goes through fine.
Sometimes, I get a notification on my dock showing the Updater Icon, I click it open and nothing happens. Other times, I click it open and a GUI pops up offering the goodies- I download and the world is happy.
Sometimes the Updater icon appears and clicking on it has no effect. I reboot, and it's gone as if it never was.
Admittedly, these occurrences are rare in comparison to when it all works fine.
But it will make you worry for a minute. But there is no need to worry 98 times out of 100.

Personally, I keep all automatic updates turned off. Phone, included. I do updates, I just do it in my own time and I pick and choose what I am willing to update.
We live in a tech era, where we are pressured to Update, update, update. As if updates are crucial and we had better stop everything and do it right away. But in my experience? Not so much. It is very uncommon for a missed or delayed update to ever cause me any problem. But updating right away has usually caused me problems. Case in point, I foolishly allowed Google to update on my phone (Sigh) and Googles update inhibited any non-Google app. Now, my eBay alerts are 1.5 hours late instead of arriving in real time. And there is no fix because Google made this move to seize control- only Google can fix it (or roll it back.)
I have never had a Zorin OS system update give me any trouble no matter when I apply it. Right away or after a couple weeks delay. Because yes, sometimes I delay it a while... I intend to update when I get the notification, open updater, then get distracted and forget to do it. A week or so later, it reminds me again and then I get around to doing it. Not A Big Deal.
Ubuntu Software Channel has been notorious for years for being a bit flaky. If it doesn't work one day- Don't worry. Giving it a little time usually solves the issue.

carmar

Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:21:07 am

Thanks. I agree with you on the phone - wife and I have iphones and I have updates turned off.
Thank you for your help. Now I just have to fix the intermittent (mostly off) sound or start looking for a new linux distro which I really don't want to do.

Aravisian

Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:26:29 am

carmar wrote:Thanks. I agree with you on the phone - wife and I have iphones and I have updates turned off.
Thank you for your help. Now I just have to fix the intermittent (mostly off) sound or start looking for a new linux distro which I really don't want to do.

Are you using Zorin 15?
I know Swarfendor, the usual Zorin Guru has mentioned pulling out all of his hair- even the ones on his toes, trying to sort out sound issues since installing 15. Even threatened to stop using Zorin over it.
Id' have to look through the threads and see if he found a fix for his issue and whether or not it would work for you...

carmar

Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:02:23 am

Yes, Zorin 15. Yes, Swarfendor has been helping me but so far I have been unsuccessful: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14633
Is there a particular version of Zorin that you're aware of being stable? If so, do you have any recommended link to get it?

Meanwhile, I'm poking around some other threads (such as https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic. ... 8&t=117247 ).
I didn't have alsa-utils or pulseaudio installed so I did so. With them my sound icon disappeared altogether from the system tray and Settings don't show any sound devices at all. Gonna fiddle around a bit more based on that linuxmint thread and see if I have any luck.

Aravisian

Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:12:21 am

carmar wrote:Yes, Zorin 15. Yes, Swarfendor has been helping me but so far I have been unsuccessful: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14633
Is there a particular version of Zorin that you're aware of being stable? If so, do you have any recommended link to get it?

Meanwhile, I'm poking around some other threads (such as https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic. ... 8&t=117247 ).
I didn't have alsa-utils or pulseaudio installed so I did so. With them my sound icon disappeared altogether from the system tray and Settings don't show any sound devices at all. Gonna fiddle around a bit more based on that linuxmint thread and see if I have any luck.

Yes,
https://sourceforge.net/projects/zorin- ... t/download
The above link is to Zorin OS 12.4 Core Xenial 64bit

It really seems like a Bionic Beaver issue.

Zorin 12.4 is solid and stable, as it had more time out to have things ironed out.
Zorin 15 just came out and I am a stubborn sort; I am using 12.4 which was released around 2018. I don't usually rush headlong for the latest and greatest because while some things work better when new, software doesn't work that way. It takes some time after a software release to figure out what compatibility issues exist. It is nearly impossible to predict every compatibility issue in advance and you just have to wait on bug reports.

carmar

Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:59:17 pm

Thank you - I bookmarked that link in case I need to reinstall Zorin. I got my sound working (for now) but installing alsa-utils (keeping pulseaudio uninstalled) and disabling auto-mute. I posted on the other thread and marked as solved. I hope it stays.

Yes, as you wrote, it takes times to get things ironed out. When I was reading up on Zorin, I noted many places stating it comes prepackaged with a lot of stuff. Maybe that was for older versions but mine did not have items installed, such as Alsa and Wine. While I appreciate the learning experience, most Windows refugees may not. Then again Windows is such a horrible system, they may realize that having 1-2 problems in Linux is barely noticeable. In my case, I used to have problems even during the Windows installation. ;)

Once again, thanks for your help and additional advice.

Aravisian

Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:27:40 pm

carmar wrote:Thank you - I bookmarked that link in case I need to reinstall Zorin. I got my sound working (for now) but installing alsa-utils (keeping pulseaudio uninstalled) and disabling auto-mute. I posted on the other thread and marked as solved. I hope it stays.

Yes, as you wrote, it takes times to get things ironed out. When I was reading up on Zorin, I noted many places stating it comes prepackaged with a lot of stuff. Maybe that was for older versions but mine did not have items installed, such as Alsa and Wine. While I appreciate the learning experience, most Windows refugees may not. Then again Windows is such a horrible system, they may realize that having 1-2 problems in Linux is barely noticeable. In my case, I used to have problems even during the Windows installation. ;)

Once again, thanks for your help and additional advice.

I never didn't have problems with Windows... (Love the double negative). While Windows has easy installation packages (Installers) because everything is integrated, if I really think about it, most new installs were a major pain in the ... donkey.
It's like human nature and Pain. Most people stick with Windows not because it is great, but because at least they know how not great it is. They are familiar with it. They have been using it for years. If you take a person who has known mostly pain all their lives and try to treat them nicely or give something good to them, their mind will try to find a way to make it familiar, painful, negative. They will reject "nice" and "good." Pain may not be pleasant, but at least it's known, familiar, almost... comforting. The new "good" stuff is scary, unknown, can't be trusted. It's a Slow and gentle process to help them to walk out of their history. This (Windows vs. Linux) really is much like that.
You are right. Windows Refugees will always struggle and hesitate and be daunted by the learning curve of Linux. Switch the two out, make Linux the Default 90% OS and Windows the upstart and you would see the same effect (But worse because Windows suckles the south end of a north bound skunk). I appreciate the learning experience and I attempt to help out by addressing posted questions in order to better help myself to learn. I am a Linux Novice.

I am not sure about Alsa. I have not really explored 15, at all. I came in on Zorin 12.4 just a few months before 15 was released. I wasn't about to abandon ship just because the Newy Came out.
So I did not know that Zorin 15 no longer includes Wine. Swarfendor recently told me so.
Zorin15 DOES come with a lot...a lot of stuff that is not on 12.4 and it all seems to be a lot of stuff I do not care about. Interconnectivity and good ways to "Nest" everything together to get Google to spy on you better. My opinion.
It's not the Zorin Teams fault. They answered demand with a new OS Version to meet that demand from that crowd. Some people demand fast sports cars. But for me, I prefer a Pickup Truck.
Zorin 12.4 is GREAT. It works well and is well suited to my needs. It's not like 12.4 is outdated or obsolete. Not at all. Zorin 15 is the Ferrarri and 12.4 is the Dodge Ram.

carmar

Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:51:34 pm

Amen. You put it well - familiarity is the motivator.

I didn't switch from Windows earlier since I was a big gamer. Now I barely game - changed preferences. Although now I see a whole bunch of games available on Linux as well.
I already changed my default boot to Linux, even when my sound wasn't running. Windows 7 is just a backup now. I haven't even tried Wine yet and I don't know if I will in the immediate future.

In my earlier post, I wasn't being critical of the way things have been packaged, just wanted it to be made clear which version has what items included.

Aravisian wrote:Interconnectivity and good ways to "Nest" everything together to get Google to spy on you better. My opinion.

This is interesting. Is Google integrated into Zorin? I avoid them as much as possible. I searched for info online on Zorin 15 and Google but all I found was about Chrome installation (which thankfully is not prepackaged).

Aravisian

Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:04:19 pm

carmar wrote:
In my earlier post, I wasn't being critical of the way things have been packaged, just wanted it to be made clear which version has what items included.

This is interesting. Is Google integrated into Zorin? I avoid them as much as possible. I searched for info online on Zorin 15 and Google but all I found was about Chrome installation (which thankfully is not prepackaged).

You did not come across as critical; I was just trying to avoid coming across as critical. :lol:

I know that Alsa and Pulseaudio come pre-installed in Zorin 12.4. So does Wine. however, the Wine in 12.4 is Wine 3 and it doesn't work right. Anyone who installs 12.4 and wants Wine needs to upgrade it to Wine 4.

Oops..
No. Google is not integrated into Zorin in any fashion.

However... what is integrated is the interconnectivity that is offered in Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver. That interconnectivity allows the users to have their Cell phone communicate with their computer, text messages relayed with ease, up to and including pop ups on your computer monitor screen showing Notification Alerts.
For someone avoiding Google, Google would have no hand to play there. Like you and me.

However, Google has their tentacles into as much as they can squeeze them into. So when a person is connecting their Android phone to the computer, using it to relay messages from Google Apps and Google Messaging Services and Google Search, gmail, Hangouts, Google Drive... You can see the issue. It's not Zorin. It's Google. And this applies to ANY distro based on Ubuntu 18.04.
The way Zorin 15 is set up, it is secure. It is on par with the general trend. But I personally have no desire nor need to grab Zorin 15 for interconnectivity that Google can and will exploit as best they can. It's not what I want. Even if others do want that Ferrari.
Zorin 12.4 offers all the goodies, but it's true it's not as um...hipster? It doesn't offer that much interconnectivity. That Shiny Convenience. If you want all the stuff that Zorin 15 offers in that regard, you can install it. You just have to install or set it up yourself. Or... Get Zorin 15 where knowledgeable dedicated people have done that work for you, investigated many issues and found resolutions and tested it thoroughly prior to release (Though not all issues can be predicted and found; some will crop up given the variety out there).

EDIT: I should add, that interconnectivity is nothing new. Used to be, you could plug Add Ons to your Cairo-Dock for gmail, etc. But you had to research it, do the work, install, learn how to make it work. In this sense, it's more that the OS is set up already to have that done for you.

carmar

Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:42:16 pm

Ah. Thanks for clarifying. Sorry, the integration assumption was my own mistake. You were simply referring to the added optionality available to use these features.

Aravisian

Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:13:59 am

I learned a long time ago that in any argument or misunderstanding, both parties are always wrong. It's pretty much impossible for one party to be exclusively right. This is why careful reactions are important.
I don't seem to have the knack for clear and concise communication many people have. I envy them.
For example, earlier I said that Google has their tentacles into everything. That is what I meant to type. But when I made the post, I typed "testicles" instead. Admittedly, I would not want to live in a world where Google has their testicles into everything they could squeeze them into.
Fortunately, I caught that in time and fixed it.
At least "backing up and trying again" isn't exclusive to just me. The Washington Post reported that a scientific study showed that "Cell Phone use is causing kids to grow horns." The study involved claimed that kids are showing bone spurs on the backs of their heads from bending over screens.
Of course, anthropologists reading the article were quick to point out that these protrusions are well known and have been found on a percentage of the population going back over 70,000 years... The 'study' was flawed, showed no casual connection and jumped to a conclusion.
The Washington Post had to amend the previous article.

Swarfendor437

Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:45:53 am

You will always have "failed to get updates" if for example, you install a browser not in the Software channe l such as Opera, as I get same warning everytime I boot into Feren OS.

As for double negatives, this video is just for you Aravision:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_wMBZLMLGA

:D :lol:

I loved this guys vids.