This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

instalation progress of software

m2ma

Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:30:29 pm

Hi, i'm using ZorinOS 15 Core with the latest updates, now the question is... (its actually a little bit complicated)
in the "Software" (or store) when i try to install somethings like "Super Tux Kart" well, i hit the install then it goes to download and installing progress right? so the problem is when i back to the main menu (before installation be done) or other menu (cause it take so much time to download & install) there is no place to see how many percent of the installation has done, and when i search again for the app there is install button again, so i click on that and it shows the percent of installation for a sec with an error pops out that said "Unable to install "Super Tux Kart" snap "supertuxkart" change in progress " so... first of all i think it should have a place for the installation progress and the second, needs to show the percent of installation when you go on that software again Instead of showing the install again.

P.S:
1. im new here hope to post it in right place
2. my English is not so good, i hope you guys understand what am i talking about :D

Swarfendor437

Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:43:43 pm

Hi there, I had a similar issue with Thunderbird and it didn't take first time around properly but did on the second. Weird! You could always try the superior method of Synaptic Package Manager - but you need to install it as it does not come with Zorin. Open a Terminal window (Ctrl+ Alt+ T or Menu | Utilities | Terminal if you prefer) and enter:

Code:
sudo apt-get install synaptic

You will be asked for your login password to elevate you to 'root' (Administrator) in order to install synaptic and unlike earlier versions of GNU/Linux terminal entry of password shows up as asterisks (before it used to be blank so someone must have been listening to the complaints of 'where are the dots/asterisks?'.

Launch synaptic after install while the terminal is open you can just enter:

Code:
sudo synaptic
and because you are already elevated as 'root' in the terminal, you won't be asked for your password again (but you will in future launches).

Then in the search bar enter 'supertuxkart' and see what returns - check mark the box to the left of the package by right-clicking and selecting 'Mark for Installation' then from the menu bar, click on Apply.

Finally another word of warning - NEVER login to Zorin on Wayland - Synaptic does not work with Wayland - I'm now going to see if I can break my install by removing Wayland completely from the system - Hey Ho! ;) :D

Swarfendor437

Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:51:28 pm

Well, didn't bother with that - well at least Zorin does not default to Wayland desktop environment - if ever it does, then I will have to say 'bye'bye! Why? removing Wayland would take the entire system with it! Now if only I could install Waylon Jennings on this rig it would be a lot better!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPP5IaGGWZ8