This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin's search menu doesn't search for uninstalled apps

estevaoG3

Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:28:10 pm

Hi, there! I wonder if is possible to get search results on Zorin's search menu for uninstalled packages, like in Linux Mint, as shown in the following figure:

Swarfendor437

Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:09:02 pm

Hi, Personally speaking I find Software Channel easier to follow than have uninstalled packages cluttering up the menu - better yet, Synaptic Package Manager! ;) :D

estevaoG3

Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:53:55 pm

Thanks for the advide. I didn't knew about Synaptic Package Manager, so I'm trying it out. It seems to be very powerful, it has a lot of information about packages.

Swarfendor437

Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:31:56 pm

Just remember to NEVER EVER login to the Wayland desktop - Synaptic will not run on Wayland! ;)

Aravisian

Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:46:03 am

estevaoG3 wrote:Thanks for the advide. I didn't knew about Synaptic Package Manager, so I'm trying it out. It seems to be very powerful, it has a lot of information about packages.

Yes, the "Software" menu item is essentially the same thing as what you see in Mint, just not integrated into the menu window itself.
But Synaptic is much better, I believe. It is powerful, as you say. Takes a bit of getting used to...But well worth it.
Synaptic is also safer, more versatile (it can show you broken packages, installed packages, dependencies, etc.) and frankly...Just behaves a whole lot better than Ubuntu Software Channel does.

Swarfendor437

Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:44:54 am

Makulu takes it one step further by offering 3 different methods of package management including Synaptic. ;)