This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[RESOLVED] All of sudden, cannot install Games from Software

smithdru

Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:53:22 pm

Hi!
I am new to Zorin and Linux. Installed Zorin 15 a couple of weeks ago and have been sailing smoothly until now. All of a sudden, cannot successfully install additional games from the Software manager. Keep getting error messages such as "Error while installing package: unable to open '/usr/share/games/supertux2/music/forest_theme.ogg.dpkg-new.' The error messages vary somewhat according to the game I am attempting to install, but all seem to involve access to the /usr/share/games' directory and its contents. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Swarfendor437

Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:30:17 am

Hi, firstly can you run Software Updater then stop it - we need to check 'Settings' so select that and ensure you get downloads from 'Main Server'. Use Software to remove that game, install Synaptic and install Supertux from there.

smithdru

Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:12:33 pm

Hi! Thanks for your reply! I ran Software Installer again and before I stopped it, I noticed it had gotten a lot further than before. Let it run and it installed the game without event. Tried a couple of more games and they worked fine also. I had a power outage right before I started having the problem and wonder if that caused the initial problem and a few reboots corrected itself. I did take your advice and installed Synaptic, after doing a little study on how to use it online. I will have it as a backup now, if I have any further problems. Sorry to have cried "Wolf!" too soon, I am a little nervous using Linux, as I am pretty new to it, but am really enjoying the Zorin experience. Thanks again for your reply, have a great week!
Dan