This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Unwanted Updates

mdiemer

Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:49:34 pm

This is similar to my earlier thread re: Firefox. I uninstalled it, as I prefer Vivaldi. But I still get hit with updates (language packs) daily. Similarly, I am now using a different Office suite, but I'm getting updates for Libre Office (also language packs). I could uninstall it also, but I fear the updates will keep coming.

I can't see any way of disabling the updates. They don't make any sense as in the case of Firefox I don't even have it installed, and I'm not using Libre (although I plan to keep it as it has more apps than the other office suite). Although I would not hesitate to uninstall it, if that would stop the updates. But I fear they will come anyway.

Is there any way out of this minor daily annoyance?

Swarfendor437

Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:36:43 pm

Not at my machine right now. Will look tomorrow.

Swarfendor437

Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:15:22 am

Hi mdiener, the process will be exactly the same as for Firefox:

Help files to remove:

LibreOffice help files.jpg

Language Packs to remove:

LibreOffice Language packs.jpg

Dictionary and Thesaurus and hyphen rules files:

LibreOffice Dictionaries and Thesauri.jpg

Open Synaptic Package Manager, right-click the green box with the stars in and select, 'Mark for Removal' then click on 'Apply' from the Menu bar. ;) :D

Swarfendor437

Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:56:32 am

You will also be interested to do the same for GNOME Language Packs - open Synaptic Package Manager and search for 'language-pack' - and remove all of the ones not needed. Remember to reboot after removal. ;) :D

carmar

Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:30:45 pm

Thanks, swarf. And thanks to mdiemer for asking the question. I forgot about these until now. Will go and get them out of my machine too.

mdiemer

Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:24:54 am

Yeah that seems to have done the trick, thanks again Swarf The Amazing.

mdiemer

Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:38:09 pm

Oops, I spoke too soon. They are all back, Firefox language packs, gnome and libre as well. I was not able to bring up in Synaptic everything you indicated, only the Firefox stuff, but the first couple times I rebooted I had no updates so I thought all was well. Now they are all back. At this point I'm ready to uninstall Synaptic, although I doubt that would help.

Swarfendor437

Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:03:01 pm

Hi mdiener, Your updates are definitely set to 'Main Server'? ;) :D

Had no issue with Firefox language packs since I removed the ones other than EN-GB - same for all the others. ;)

Aravisian

Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:43:23 pm

I tried this out just - cuz.

I failed, utterly.

I don't have any of that stuff. At all. Nothing to uninstall.

Then, I remembered that I use Waterfox instead of Firefox.

Swarfendor437

Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:14:21 pm

Aravisian wrote:I tried this out just - cuz.

I failed, utterly.

What about Gnome language packs? Libre Office Help, Language, Dictionary, Thesaurus, hyphen language packs? ;) :D

Aravisian

Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:10:54 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:
Aravisian wrote:I tried this out just - cuz.

I failed, utterly.

What about Gnome language packs? Libre Office Help, Language, Dictionary, Thesaurus, hyphen language packs? ;) :D

Gnome language packs- One entry for Gnome-Language-Selector
Libre Office Help - one entry for libroffice-help-en-us
Dictionary - aspell-en, cracklib runtime, hunspell-en-us, liblouis-data (braille) and libgdm3
Thesaurus- libmythes, mythes-us
hyphen language packs- Nothing.

So, not a whole lot there for those.
synapticsearch.png

Swarfendor437

Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:57:48 am

If I could just interpret your Azenis theme! ;) :D

Aravisian

Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:15:38 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:If I could just interpret your Azenis theme! ;) :D

Is my big huge "Software Updater" icon killing ya?
I know how to fix that- I just don't want to. I like the big huge icon effect, sometimes.
I bet the image looks better for you since mine has the actual screen covered in swatted flies, sneeze-juice, and pizza debris.
You may note the W-i-d-e title bar buttons. Not so close together, makes it easier to hit your target when you want to Minimize, Maximize or Close. I added glow effects to the buttons on mine, but I have not updated the download page for them. Maybe I will get around to doing that...
Got rid of Cairo -dock and went another way with the panel. Off topic... anyway.... Given that list of what I found on searching, am I a dirty, dirty boy or all kinds of squeaky clean?
I Still think using Waterfox makes a big difference.

I was kidding about swatted flies, sneezes and pizza bits. I Hate a dirty screen.

mdiemer

Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:53:36 pm

This problem may have been fixed, as the last few updates have had no language pack updates for Firefox in them. If so, thanks to the Zorin team. I reset my update settings to default. We'll see what happens.

mdiemer

Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:55:39 pm

I spoke too soon. They weren't showing up because I had changed the settings for updates. The bogus language packs are now showing up again. I have to set it to notify me only weekly or bi-weekly. That seems to be the only way to stop the daily notifications, which are a problem, because they cause my Cantata music player to crash when they appear, necessitating a trip downstairs to the basement, to reset it.

mdiemer

Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:24:12 pm

Well, I may have solved it, finally. I searched for the offending updates in Synaptic, this time trying different search filters. I found them under the "up-gradable" filter. I marked them all for removal, and next time I ran the software updater, they did not appear. I have rest my settings to check for updates weekly, but to display security updates immediately.