This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

The Software Updater does not automatically check for update

hadisch

Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:38:23 pm

Hello everybody,

The Software Updater does not do what it should on my freshly installed Zorin OS 15 Ultimate.
It does not automatically check for updates from the beginning. If I start the Software Updater manually, it finds updates. Automatically it does not work for me.

It is also strange that if I manually start the Software Updater and install updates, I will still see existing updates when I run in the terminal apt update. When I start the Software Updater again, it claims that there are no updates.

Does the Software updater work correctly for you?

Greetings
Dieter

PS. Sorry vor the bumpy Google translation

Swarfendor437

Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:14:27 pm

Hi Dieter and welcome. Yes it works for me - I have my software updater set to receive updates from Main Server, not from my country's locale server - have you checked your settings?

Hallo Dieter und willkommen. Ja, es funktioniert für mich - ich habe meinen Software-Updater so eingestellt, dass ich Updates vom Main Server und nicht vom Gebietsschema-Server meines Landes erhalte - haben Sie Ihre Einstellungen überprüft?

hadisch

Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:03:07 pm

Hi Swarfendor437,

yes, I switched to the main server right after the installation and have made daily notifications on other upates.

Swarfendor437

Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:44:35 am

Hi, see if this improves your situation. Open terminal and enter:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

hadisch

Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:13:27 am

Hi, that's not the problem. Updates with apt work without problems. The problem is that Software Updater does not automatically check for updates. When I manually start the Software Updater, it checks for updates and displays them. The installation is then no problem. When I subsequently run apt update, apt still shows me updates, but Software Updater says my system is up to date.

Swarfendor437

Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:22:52 am

Thanks for clearing that up - I will flag this with AZorin. ;)

zabadabadoo

Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:28:24 pm

I was not aware that Software Updater was capable of automatic updates. I have always run it manually after login.

Aravisian

Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:47:47 pm

zabadabadoo wrote:I was not aware that Software Updater was capable of automatic updates. I have always run it manually after login.

Mine pops up on the panel to let me know when updates are available. I do not know how much time passes before it alerts me, though. I looked yesterday and saw a Zorin OS update was available, so I ate it.
But I had not gotten the usual Software Updater alert. Maybe enough time had not yet passed.

mdiemer

Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:35:50 pm

Me on the other hand, I get firefox and Gnome language pack updates every day, even though I uninstalled Firefox. I have to deselect them and install the ones I want. I'm hoping that at some point Zorin will allow one to opt out of unwanted updates.

Aravisian

Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:16:42 am

In my meager opinion, the ubuntu Software Channel works poorly most of the time.

hadisch

Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:57:16 am

Surprise! Suddenly and unexpectedly, the software-updater informed me today about updates.
After weeks of not working, I hope that was not a one-time event.

Addendum: Today I received update-notifications again. It suddenly seems to work without me changing anything. Strange but very enjoyable.

chrissi55

Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:55:55 am

My Software Shop (Sys Updater) says all fine - no updates

When starting Software Updater from Startmenue -> System -> Updater i get many updates ready for installing.

Why this difference and why doesn't Software Shop show these important updates?
See Screenshot with my comprare

Aravisian

Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:42:31 am

In my own short experience, Ubuntu Software Channel and Ubuntu Software Updater have never really worked right.
I use Synaptic for all of the above functions, instead.

Swarfendor437

Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:47:39 am

OK. Something I had not really looked into. The Software Channel in respect of updates looks at application updates NOT system updates. THAT is the difference! :D

Whilst on the topic of Software channel, you can install gnome extensions from Software Channel - you don't need to use the Firefox add-on. :D :D