This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

How To Connect Wireless Printer?

mdiemer

Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:56:47 pm

I've never tried adding a wireless printer in Zorin. It's my wife's printer and her laptop (most of my questions do seem to involve her - I keep my system simple, use a physically connected printer for example). Anyway, it's a Brother MFC-J480DW wireless printer. How do I add it in Zorin 15 Core?

Thanks as always, Mike

Swarfendor437

Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:35:22 pm

Hi mdiener,

Go to this web page:

https://support.brother.com/g/b/downloa ... _as&os=128

and download the following packages:

Driver Install tool
LPR printer driver (deb package)
CUPSwrapper printer driver (deb package)
Scanner driver 64bit (deb packag)
Scan-key-tool 64bit (deb package)
Scanner Setting file (deb package) - go to this link for more information:

https://support.brother.com/g/s/id/linu ... edirect=on

And scroll down to the Ubuntu section.

I don't think you will need the CUPS wraper Printer driver Source Codes.

Install all the deb packages firs using GDEBI Package Manager, then from a terminal enter:

Code:
sudo system-config-printer

When the interface opens, select Add printer then from the next window, Select 'Network printer'
If you are able to find the wireless ip address that it has got assigned to your router (that is how my Canon printer works, you will need to add the ip address of the printer - I know hp needs to have the printer connected by cable to setup the ip address - I don't know about brother. ;) :D

Now that you have installed the drivers before the Add printer bit you should see your model in the Brother section of the printer selection tool.

Keep us posted.

mdiemer

Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:12:20 am

Thanks Swarf! I think I sorted it out. I'd forgotten that I had changed our WiFi password. I had to run the printer's setup wizard, put in the new password, and next time I started up the computer the printer had already been recognized! I printed a document so it works.

Sorry, this thread could have been avoided if I had just remembered about the password change. Just goes to show you though, when you change something, it can have ripple effects. Maybe that's why I like to keep things simple.

Swarfendor437

Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:47:08 am

Would be curious to know if simples an works with your all-in-one.