This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

RESOLVED ZORIN 15 WINE & USB

PeterB

Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:04:53 am

I am unable to talk to my USB ports using ZORIN 15 or LINUX 19.1.
I went to Zorin because it is said to be WIN 7 like and it sure bragged about all the things you can do with wine and yet does not come with it.
I think I have been done for $60 or can it be fixed?

Peter

Swarfendor437

Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:09:31 pm

I've never used WINE for USB access and in view of Microshaft's hidden patents I'll never use Wine again or anything from GitHub which they now own.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=14806

PeterB

Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:12:26 pm

And I have never climbed a mountain. WOW! you and I have so much in common.
I was hoping for a response from a less arrogant, more helpful person.

Peter

Swarfendor437

Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:52:34 pm

I can't answer your question but if you are happy to be sued by M$ that is your prerogative.

PeterB

Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:41:26 am

And now we make progress.
Why will I be sued?

Aravisian

Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:22:47 am

PeterB wrote:I am unable to talk to my USB ports using ZORIN 15 or LINUX 19.1.
I went to Zorin because it is said to be WIN 7 like and it sure bragged about all the things you can do with wine and yet does not come with it.
I think I have been done for $60 or can it be fixed?

Peter

Are you saying that you cannot access USB while using Wine4?

Please ensure you ARE using Wine4 and not Wine3.
You can put this in terminal to check:
Code:
wine --version

I found it odd, too, that Zorin 15 does not come with Wine. I am still using Zorin 12.4 (the Previous Zorin O.S. Release before 15)- It is better for my applications and still a well supported and rock solid O.S. It came with WIne3, which I upp'ed to Wine4.

I also have never tried accessing USB ports while using Wine (In fact, I use Wine for very little) but I will do some testing and searching in a little while and see what I can find out.

Part of the trouble is- Zorin O.S. ads may point out what can be done with Wine the same way many other Distro's point it out- But the functionality of Wine is dependent on the development team of Wine.

Edit to add: Here is what I found on WineHQ website:
https://wiki.winehq.org/Wine_User's_Gui ... llel_Ports
https://wiki.winehq.org/Hid

In hindsight, I am glad that you asked this question since I just realized that I DO have a program I need to have access to USB that I have not actually used, yet. I have an automotive OBDII scanner and software that must run on WIndows. I have it working well, but have not yet had occasion to hook up to a vehicle...This may be information that I need, as well.

Aravisian

Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:13:12 am

PeterB wrote:And now we make progress.
Why will I be sued?

From what I have read as well as a general familiarity with Swarfendor, it looks not that he was saying you will be sued, but that he wouldn't be surprised these days if Microsoft went to such extremes in their efforts to take back market control.
Swarf is clearly unhappy with recent MS developments (as are we all). Given that he was off on a road trip recently, I might suggest that short posts be avoided until able to make more clear ones without rushing.;)

I found a reddit thread on topic...
https://www.reddit.com/r/linuxquestions ... k_in_wine/

PeterB

Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:31:05 am

Thanks for your interest..
I don't know where you are in the world but in Australia we have a thing called "The Back Shed" which deals with micros etc in general and MMBASIC inparticular and within that is a program called MMEDIT which do need USB. It is used by people all over the world and will run on linux 18.x and probably Zorin. So I decided to go all the way and get ZORIN 15. It failed. So back to Linux. It failed. Then I noted that my linux is 19.1. Hence my questions.
I do seem to have discovered a problem but given my lack of experience and confidence I am a bit confused.

The world will not stop turning if Zorin 15 is a dud but it did seem nice.

Peter

Aravisian

Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:37:15 am

PeterB wrote:Thanks for your interest..
I don't know where you are in the world but in Australia we have a thing called "The Back Shed" which deals with micros etc in general and MMBASIC inparticular and within that is a program called MMEDIT which do need USB. It is used by people all over the world and will run on linux 18.x and probably Zorin. So I decided to go all the way and get ZORIN 15. It failed. So back to Linux. It failed. Then I noted that my linux is 19.1. Hence my questions.
I do seem to have discovered a problem but given my lack of experience and confidence I am a bit confused.

The world will not stop turning if Zorin 15 is a dud but it did seem nice.

Peter

Zorin 15 is based on Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver. What came with Ubuntu 18.04 is generally what is on Zorin 15.
I wonder if it may work on Zorin 12.4 Core with Wine4? When you say Linux 18.x, are you referring to Ubuntu 18?
I doubt I can discover that answer running Zorin AND Wine in VirtualBox...

On the side-note; No, Zorin 15 is certainly not a dud. In fact, it is one of the more highly rated distor's you can get. As you opted for the Ultimate Edition, you also can Contact Artyom Zorin directly using the Customer Service that comes with your selection of Ultimate Edition.
Please Keep In Mind: The Zorins are currently Two People answering all Customer Service Tickets. Please be patient in waiting for a response.
But alerting the Developer to the issue may go a long way toward a solution.

PeterB

Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:00:57 am

People on the Back shed kept saying "Linux Mint 18.1 with wine and MMEDIT works" so it came as a shock to have my effort fail but then I'm not bad at producing failure with this clever stuff (why me?)
I used wine 4 with Zorin 15 and the usb ports just failed. I did get them working on Linux Mint 19.1 but they did not survive a power down. I think that's where I got to. So then I have to decide is it Zorin, wine, me or the day of the week? did a black cat die? who knows?
I will pluck up the courage to try Zorin direct.

Peter

p.s. bionic beaver? where do they get these names?

P

Aravisian

Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:10:27 am

PeterB wrote:People on the Back shed kept saying "Linux Mint 18.1 with wine and MMEDIT works" so it came as a shock to have my effort fail but then I'm not bad at producing failure with this clever stuff (why me?)
I used wine 4 with Zorin 15 and the usb ports just failed. I did get them working on Linux Mint 19.1 but they did not survive a power down. I think that's where I got to. So then I have to decide is it Zorin, wine, me or the day of the week? did a black cat die? who knows?
I will pluck up the courage to try Zorin direct.

I would post confidently that Wine is the culprit, myself. IF it is, there may be little that Zorin Customer Support can do to help...
Clearly, something changed on someones line, creating some complications- was it a change in Ubuntu 18 (and bionic-based distros)from .18.04 to 18.04.3? I gather that Wine4 introduced the USB readability and that it was not available on Wine3.
You probably need to risk getting the Latest Beta of Wine4, rather than the Stable Release.
From there, I would suggest following the steps available on the WineHQ website. They also have a forum there, with many people more familiar with how Wine works.

PeterB wrote:p.s. bionic beaver? where do they get these names?

I have always wondered the same...
Beaver is suggestive, isn't it?:P

PeterB

Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:26:33 am

I think you have given your age away. That was popular 40 years ago. Is it still?

Aravisian

Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:40:15 am

PeterB wrote:I think you have given your age away. That was popular 40 years ago. Is it still?

I'm 41, so barely. Heh... But I guess some young people still use it.

PeterB

Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:52:45 am

I'm 81

FSG

Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:55:14 am

well I'm in Brisbane
have Zorin 15 Ultimate Tri Booting on a 1TB SSD with Win 10 and Linux Mint 19.1

I have Wine 4.0 Installed on both flavours of Linux

I have a few Win Applications installed one of which is FastStone Image Viewer

FastStone on both flavours can see a USB (Imation 8GB) that has a Win10 ISO on it, I have copied some pix to this USB Stick with the File Manager and can manipulate (edit/crop) them and save back to the USB

the mount point under Zorin 15 is /media/gary

it can be seen as the F Drive in FastStone, FileZilla and Sumatra PDF that also run under Wine 4.0

Can you see the USB within GParted ?

PeterB

Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:26:37 am

I may be causing some confusion here. I can't try anything until tomorrow but I think Zorin 15 can see a USB drive and read its contents. What it can't do is connect via USB to an Arduino nano or a MM device.

And I'm in Adelaide, sort of.

Peter

Swarfendor437

Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:46:21 am

Aravisian

Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:36:23 am

PeterB wrote:I'm 81

Ah... back in your day, computers were made of stone. :D

The CD Drive had a shrew running on a wheel and the speakers were parrots.

FSG, was it necessary to configure anything to get Wine to see your USB?

Swarf, things like this...
There is a bug in Arduino 1.8.5 Linux. Updating to Arduino 1.8.6 Linux resolved my problem. If anyone else is having this issue, please update or downgrade to 1.8.4. Hope this helps someone else.

make me wish Linux Bugreports had a Public Service Announcement channel on all television stations.

Swarfendor437

Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:38:54 pm

Aravisian wrote:
PeterB wrote:I'm 81

Ah... back in your day, computers were made of stone. :D

The CD Drive had a shrew running on a wheel and the speakers were parrots.

Swarf, things like this...
There is a bug in Arduino 1.8.5 Linux. Updating to Arduino 1.8.6 Linux resolved my problem. If anyone else is having this issue, please update or downgrade to 1.8.4. Hope this helps someone else.

make me wish Linux Bugreports had a Public Service Announcement channel on all television stations.

Hi, the bug quoted is in Arduino (for [GNU/]Linux) ;)

FSG

Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:11:57 pm

No

PeterB

Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:30:02 am

The Arduino IDE is 1.8.9 (windows version)
If I plug a USB device into the machine it opens and does all the things one would want. So up to this point, Zorin looks to be exactly what I want.
To communicate with things like the Arduino nano the USB ports have to be set up and what follows is my interpretation of that.

Most important to put yourself in the dialout group
then start the terminal
dmesg | grep tty
to see what is connected. mine shows E64 as ttyACM0 & nano as ttyUSB0

cd .wine/dosdevices
ls
to list ports. use rm comx to remove any that need to be removed

ln -s /dev/ttyUSB0 ~/.wine/dosdevices/com1
to connect USB0 to com1
ln -s /dev/ttyACM0 ~/.wine/dosdevices/com2
to connect ACM0 to com2

to list USB devices
ls -l /dev/ttyUSN*
to list ACM devices
ls -l /dev/ttyACM0

One bloke used sudo systemctl disable ModemManager.service
to turn that off

All of the above is "monkey see monkey do" I don't pretend to understand it but I will.

My copy of MINT 18.1 should get here in a couple of days and then I can go back over all this.
For less than $20 I would rather buy a USB stick than try to down load it.

PeterB

Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:32:28 am

My Mint 18.1 arrived and is installed and working with MMEDIT, PUTTY but not ARDUINO.
I have had ARDUINO working some weeks ago with ??? but the details have gone (I'm 81 remember)
So now I have to go to ZORIN directly.
But 18.1 is good. 19.1 is bad.
ZORIN 15 is bad.

Peter

PeterB

Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:18:46 am

G'Day All

Many things have happened some of which I understood (well almost)
I was invited to update 15, so I did, and for a while it came good but then went back to normal.
I contacted ZORIN and since they are understaffed and overworked there was a delay but they turned up about Sunday.
One of their suggestions was ls -l ~/.wine/dosdevices/
That indicated that USB0 was connected to com33
and ACM0 was connected to com34
And that was it. How they got there is beyond me. I had been putting them in com1 & com2.
Anyway, I now have ARDUINO, MMBASIC & PUTTY all working.
So then to show off I installed LINUX MINT 19.1.
Again there was a substantial update and now it is running MMEDIT & PUTTY but ARDUINO can't find any com ports but it will.
The world is a much nicer place now :)

Peter

Aravisian

Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:03:30 am

PeterB wrote:G'Day All

Many things have happened some of which I understood (well almost)
I was invited to update 15, so I did, and for a while it came good but then went back to normal.
I contacted ZORIN and since they are understaffed and overworked there was a delay but they turned up about Sunday.
One of their suggestions was ls -l ~/.wine/dosdevices/
That indicated that USB0 was connected to com33
and ACM0 was connected to com34
And that was it. How they got there is beyond me. I had been putting them in com1 & com2.
Anyway, I now have ARDUINO, MMBASIC & PUTTY all working.
So then to show off I installed LINUX MINT 19.1.
Again there was a substantial update and now it is running MMEDIT & PUTTY but ARDUINO can't find any com ports but it will.
The world is a much nicer place now :)

Peter

Peter, that is good news.
I have always wanted to learn Arduino as it would come in very handy for me. If you ever check out Tested.com, you will see plenty of reasons to learn it.
Just one of the things on a long list of things I intend to study. I'll get to it...

PeterB

Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:37:14 am

Not all versions of ARDUINO are created equal, or so it seems.
I had to uninstall and find a different version but all good now.
Do not be scared of ARDUINO. If I can do it any body can and THE BACK SHED forum is full of helpful people.
Good luck.

Peter