This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

external drive mounting problem

TWH0523

Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:16:40 pm

I am running Zorin 15 Ultimate. I have a USB hub with 3 drives attached. 1 of the drives is encrypted with VeraCrypt. When I boot Zorin it will give that drive a sde1 or sdf1 listing. The problem is when I auto mount favorites with VeraCrypt it will mount the drive sometimes and doesn't mount other times. Is there a way I can get Zorin to list the drive with the same drive letters every time. The 3 drives are never unplugged from the hub and I always plug the hub into the same USB port ( my computer is a laptop) that's why I have to unplug them when I move my laptop. This problem also messes with my virtualbox OS's,
Any help would be appreciated.

Aravisian

Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:45:46 pm

TWH0523 wrote:I am running Zorin 15 Ultimate. I have a USB hub with 3 drives attached. 1 of the drives is encrypted with VeraCrypt. When I boot Zorin it will give that drive a sde1 or sdf1 listing. The problem is when I auto mount favorites with VeraCrypt it will mount the drive sometimes and doesn't mount other times. Is there a way I can get Zorin to list the drive with the same drive letters every time. The 3 drives are never unplugged from the hub and I always plug the hub into the same USB port ( my computer is a laptop) that's why I have to unplug them when I move my laptop. This problem also messes with my virtualbox OS's,
Any help would be appreciated.

The simplest solution I can think of would be to not automount the drives. Manually mount them in the order you want them assigned in. If you are gung-ho for automount, I wonder if you could set it up manual mount, then create a bash script to mount them in the order you want.

TWH0523

Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:20:15 am

I have to manually mount the drive when zorin labels it as sdf1, I don't have the problem with the 3 internal volumes that are encrypted, so I can still do that, but I was hoping for a way to make that drive as sde1 every time. I know this is not a serious problem as I only have to mount 1 drive manually, but I thought there might be a way to do it.

Aravisian

Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:39:39 am

TWH0523 wrote:I have to manually mount the drive when zorin labels it as sdf1, I don't have the problem with the 3 internal volumes that are encrypted, so I can still do that, but I was hoping for a way to make that drive as sde1 every time. I know this is not a serious problem as I only have to mount 1 drive manually, but I thought there might be a way to do it.

Any problem that is bugging you is serious.
It just may not be critical :D You want it solved, all the same and the sooner the better.
Sadly, I do not have the knowledge to help directly, but hopefully I can help point you in the right direction.

The label is set by fstab.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Fstab
Therefor, I think the mountpoint should be the thing you wish to change. Examining if that is also in fstab, I found this
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MoveMountpointHowto

Swarfendor437

Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:00:39 pm

Aravisian's answer on editing fstab was correct. Tutorial here:

https://www.addictivetips.com/ubuntu-li ... -in-linux/