This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin 12 Kernel panic

tld6008

Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:18:26 pm

I have a dual boot dell laptop with Win 8 and Zorin 12 on it. A couple days ago when I rebooted the computer Zorin locked up down with a Kernel Panic. I made a bootable Zorin 15 usb so I could get the computer going again and try to figure something out which isn't much. I have got some suggestions LQ.org but nothing seems to be getting me any closer to solving the issue. For one thing I can't see the crash report after it locks up just the end (attached) which I had to take a photo of.I ran the boot-repair program the results are here:
(http://paste.ubuntu.com/p/n9TKJnxtXs/)
To me the report doesn't look bad but my Zorin keeps locking up when I try to boot it. Also the Caps Lock key blinks when the computer is locked up.
I hope some one on here can assist me.

TIA

Swarfendor437

Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:08:58 pm

Hi, See if this thread might help:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/898449/ ... r-updating

When you boot the machine, hold the left shift key down to get GRUB to show then boot in Advanced mode and choose an earlier kernel that is installed to see if that is the issue. ;) :D

tld6008

Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:12:35 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, See if this thread might help:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/898449/ ... r-updating

When you boot the machine, hold the left shift key down to get GRUB to show then boot in Advanced mode and choose an earlier kernel that is installed to see if that is the issue. ;) :D

The left shift key makes no difference but I do have the Advanced Options when the dual boot screen comes up. I have selected that a few times and it has several different numbered editions(?) with a generic and recovery mode set for each one. (Pic attached)
I have selected several of these and in all cases the plain generic ver. immediately dump the last part of the boot log (assuming that's what it is) If I choose the recovery mode the entire log is displayed (scrolled) still too fast to read but it stops with more information on the last page
The thread you suggested seems informative but I am NOT able to understand how I can use the information

SAM_1502.JPG

Aravisian

Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:49:21 pm

tld6008,
reading the other thread, it was noted that your /etc directory was missing.
That is a pretty large directory to go missing. The implication being that either something is very corrupted - as well as that other things may be missing, as well.
(I wonder if it is possible that Windows did some over-writing, there...) ---(Edit- see edit below)
If you make a back-up, it almost always saves the important configuration files in your Home Folder, only. You need to do a more comprehensive back-up to save more than that.
Think of the Home folder like Your User Account on Windows. On win, you have "My Documents, My Pictures" and so on, right?
That is like your Home folder on Zorin. It is where all your personal configurations, preferences and personal items go. The Root folder contains the commands to make the operating system function, boot up and all the installations you add to it.
So if you backup Home folder, then do a wipe and reload of the O.S., you will need to Re-Install any software you had installed. But your preferences, personal files and configurations will be saved in the Back-up Home Folder that you can restore.

On topic-Your missing /etc directory is a pretty big deal. I have not confirmed that it IS missing, only quickly spotted that was mentioned in that other thread.
Could you please re-trace those steps that led to that conclusion there over here? (EDIT: Now that I have read the other thread in full, this request is no longer necessary. Leaving the request in for posterity to show what happens when I type before I read.)

I'd like to warn you that you are facing the real possibility that you will have to re-install Zorin. Mentally prepare yourself,for that.
Could you please say what version of Zorin it is (Zorin9,Zorin12.4, Zorin15)?

From the below screenshot, you are holding a Lot of Kernels.
You can probably do with one current version Kernel and one back up older copy Kernel and remove the rest- that would be to be done at a later date only if you are able to recover this installation. IF you wipe and reload, that will solve that problem all by itself.
The kernels I see listed are pretty old. I am not on Zorin 15, I am still using the slightly older 12.4 and I am on kernel 4.15.0.58
Yours lists 3.13.0.138.

When you select one, select the newest version, In Recovery Mode. Then bump down to Run with Command Prompt. You will then press enter key and proceed to enter the commands. But before we can get to that point- we need to know what commands you must input...

EDIT: On further reading of the other thread, they also suggest you have a corrupted partition (sda7) which could very well explain the suddenly vanished /etc directory and also suggests that something else may be missing that you have not noticed, yet.
I also see where it is confirmed that your /etc directory is indeed quite missing.
[s]We should look into checking that, but again,[/s] I think mentally preparing yourself for a wipe and reload is necessary. We will need to try to back up your personal files, first.
But if you have a bad partition, you may want to quarantine that partition off and (recommended) get a replacement drive. IF part of it has gone bad- you are warned other parts may soon do so as well. (Then again, it may work perfectly well for years, who knows. But the red flag is raised, either way).
I would suggest first steps to take is to back up important personal files - will need to walk through doing that.
Id highly recommend doing it for your Windows partition, as well. You can get a few gigs free on Sync.cloud and Pcloud services, almost ten gigs worth, where you can store personal files. You also can use USB thumb drives.
Then, try recovering as a Band-Aid if nothing else, to get you up and running while you plan on getting a new hard drive.

tld6008

Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:41:11 pm

Wow that is a lot to take in. I am ready to install Zorin 15 which I have been live booting from. I believe the corrupted OS is Zorin 12 I don't know how to currently determine that but I installed it in 2016. I will look into one of those cloud storage sites and back up my Windows 8 files. It was suggested On LQ.org that I save the Zorin Home directory but I don't know how to do that. The bad hard drive issue is something that I am not sure what to do about. I ran the disc repair tool from the zorin live usb and did something similar with whatever windows provides, there were not any red flags that I recall.
I would welcome further assistance from you if you have the time. I have loaded zorin as a dual boot with windows twice but always years apart so it it is somewhat daunting to face again.

" Quote"
When you select one, select the newest version, In Recovery Mode. Then bump down to Run with Command Prompt. You will then press enter key and proceed to enter the commands. But before we can get to that point- we need to know what commands you must input...

I see what you mean by determining what commands to input I hit tab and the available list populated....too many choices.
BTW I would like to be able to run the recovery mode and maybe get to see the log. I have run several of them but they all end up in a kernel panic

tld6008

Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:03:46 pm

I just tried to reboot the system normally and the startup screen (blue with the pulsing Z) was taking too long so I walked away for a couple minutes and when I got back there was this, not the kernel panic that had been being produced repeatedly. Don't know it this indicates anything usable?

Aravisian

Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:23:32 pm

tld6008 wrote: It was suggested On LQ.org that I save the Zorin Home directory but I don't know how to do that.

On the Home folder being saved- can you first clarify whether or not you need to?
You mentioned at one point that it was only being used as a server. If there are no personal files on the home folder and you stand ready to load Zorin 15, do you want to bother with trying to save the home folder?

tld6008 wrote:The bad hard drive issue is something that I am not sure what to do about.

You can only replace the drive.
There really is nothing else you can do. Now you are sure about what to do about it.;)
How you replace it has some options, though. I would recommend you back up all important data onto your external terabyte drive (I assume you have one as that was mentioned in the other thread.) or any other storage you wish to use. Then, plan a budget on replacing that hard drive. On most computers, including notebooks, the physical act of replacing the hard drive is usually very easy.
You may opt to buy a used working hard drive for cheap or run to the supply store and buy the biggest, latest and greatest. But... you are running risk of losing data if you put it off without backups for too long.
tld6008 wrote:I ran the disc repair tool from the zorin live usb and did something similar with whatever windows provides, there were not any red flags that I recall.

The Red Flag is the missing /etc directory.
Given the screenshot you just posted in this thread, it looks worse.
Is it possible that your hard drive is fine and Windows caused the corruption? It is possible... but which chances are you willing to take.
You also are able to run Zorin Live with persistance without actually installing it. It will only operate and run when you actively run it, however.
tld6008 wrote: I have loaded zorin as a dual boot with windows twice but always years apart so it it is somewhat daunting to face again.

It is and as more time goes by, Windows makes it harder and harder to do.
tld6008 wrote:I see what you mean by determining what commands to input I hit tab and the available list populated....too many choices.
BTW I would like to be able to run the recovery mode and maybe get to see the log. I have run several of them but they all end up in a kernel panic

Well, what I was referring to was the commands that would mv your files, but first we must figure out what you need to move.
Another option would be to put the Zorin 15 disk in and boot from it. Then, on the running Zorin live session, look for the files that way and move them in GUI fashion. Drag and Drop.

tld6008

Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:52:47 pm

Earlier today I ran chkdsk today from the windows cmd on drive C with the /r /scan /perf options it found some corruption on the hard drive and repaired it alsio there were other issues that had to be repaired after a restart. I failed to document what exactly the issues were but I remember something referring to old windows file.
Back to you comments. When I boot from the live distro I don't see anything that looks like the old Zorin files. I feel there are not enough to worry about. What concerns me is the possibility of the hard drive going bad. I don't have a problem replacing it but the computer came loaded with windows from Dell and there was no install discs etc with the package. not that I need it. I would like to verify that the HD is damaged or going out before I load Z 15 onto it. I might just run it for a while from the USB as long as I can set up a few programs with it like that... like my VPN and PLEX. Will programs be loaded onto the HD while the OS stays on the USB?

Aravisian

Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:32:36 am

tld6008 wrote:Will programs be loaded onto the HD while the OS stays on the USB?

I do not trust my answer on this: Maybe Swarf or others that I know do know better than I do can comment.

tld6008 wrote:Earlier today I ran chkdsk today from the windows cmd on drive C with the /r /scan /perf options it found some corruption on the hard drive and repaired it alsio there were other issues that had to be repaired after a restart. I failed to document what exactly the issues were but I remember something referring to old windows file.

Repair for Windows means that it found corruption, then moved salvageable data elsewhere and inserted new data that was missing if applicable. Windows is very slipshod about that- It places the data in the next open free space. Not the best way to do it and that leads to fragmentation.

HDD's spin very fast. The reader is positioned microns above the disk. Less than the width of a hair. Any bump can cause the reader to smack into the disk knocking out a tiny chuck. We would call that chunk a speck of dust.
However, at very fast speeds in the disk case, that speck of dust can cause a lot of damage, knocking free other debris that joins the race to the finish off the drive.
You won't know it 'til the drive breaks or you take it entirely apart...
I agree with your thinking of wishing to verify but sadly, it's not that easy. It's more like Probabilities than anything else.
You take your chances.
If you opt to keep running the drive, just be sure to back up often and when you work on an important project with changes applied to it, always back that up after each work session.
Even then, it may go out mid-work and you will be throwing Happy Gilmore into an alligators mouth.
There's nothing wrong with taking your chances.
Unless you also don't do back ups.

tld6008 wrote:Back to you comments. When I boot from the live distro I don't see anything that looks like the old Zorin files.

Yes, you must access them. I have done it but it has been a long while and I cannot remember how I did it. I'd look it up real quick but... in the next line you say you are not worried about it.
tld6008 wrote: I feel there are not enough to worry about. What concerns me is the possibility of the hard drive going bad. I don't have a problem replacing it but the computer came loaded with windows from Dell and there was no install discs etc with the package. not that I need it. I would like to verify that the HD is damaged or going out before I load Z 15 onto it.

That is what got me away from Windows. :D
It came with the computer and when my hard drive died, it took Windows with it. After ten years of me grumbling about switchign to Linux, I finally did- by force.

I don't miss MS Windows any.

mdiemer

Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:52:16 pm

A couple of things I would add to the discussion. First, if you want to reinstall Windows (just sayin', who knows you might experience Windows Withdrawal Syndrome), Dell will be glad to ship you a system disc. I called them awhile back for this reason, and talked to a guy in India. We literally had the disc the next day. He overnight-ed it to us free of charge. You can also use any install disc you might have or obtain, it's the license that counts (you do need to have that). you can even download Windows for free.

Second, the computer I use for Linux is a 10 year old Gateway. The original hard drive still works, although rated bad (RED) by Crystal Disc, which utility you should have, if you don't. I have used it to experiment with all sorts of Linux systems, even a couple BDS systems. I currently have Watt OS on it, 32 bit, because it's extremely light weight. It's there as a backup utility in case I need it to fix the other two discs, in the unlikely event they fail at the same time.

I have a theory that Windows eats hard drives. When that drive had Windows on it, it sounded like an electric chair being fired up as it was starting. with Linux or BDS, it runs quiet and considerably cooler. So you may get away with running Zorin on it for a long time. Still, you are pushing the envelope. That's why I only use mine as something to play around with, or another way to get into my computer if the need arises.

zabadabadoo

Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:51:51 pm

tld6008 wrote:Earlier today I ran chkdsk today from the windows cmd on drive C with the /r /scan /perf options it found some corruption on the hard drive and repaired it alsio there were other issues that had to be repaired after a restart. I failed to document what exactly the issues were but I remember something referring to old windows file.
Back to you comments. When I boot from the live distro I don't see anything that looks like the old Zorin files. I feel there are not enough to worry about. What concerns me is the possibility of the hard drive going bad. I don't have a problem replacing it but the computer came loaded with windows from Dell and there was no install discs etc with the package. not that I need it. I would like to verify that the HD is damaged or going out before I load Z 15 onto it. I might just run it for a while from the USB as long as I can set up a few programs with it like that... like my VPN and PLEX. Will programs be loaded onto the HD while the OS stays on the USB?

It is not clear from your post the extent of the curruption of your HD. I assume chkdsk reported some bad sectors. Repair would mark them bad and try and shift data to other good areas of the HD. If you were to run chkdsk again after a few days and then get more bad sectors reported then for me that would set off alarm bells of impending HD failure. I would always backup everything on a HD anyhow, they have moving parts and whilst statistically reliable you never really know when it will terminally fail.

When you run distro from USB with persistence, I understood that bypasses your HD totally. So any progs you add would go to the USB not HD. I am sure others on here will correct me if I have got that wrong. When I first tried Linux (Z12.4) for the first time. I ran a live USB with persistence which enabled me to do a bit of tinkering with programs and settings. But was very slow to startup.

tld6008

Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:24:39 pm

Well I tried to install Zorin using the Use Something Else option and after selecting the partitions and hit Install Now it says no "EFI partition found" and computer will probably not boot if installation proceeds!!!!!!

zabadabadoo

Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:33:51 am

tld6008 wrote:Well I tried to install Zorin using the Use Something Else option and after selecting the partitions and hit Install Now it says no "EFI partition found" and computer will probably not boot if installation proceeds!!!!!!

Don't know if this will be of any help to you in the short term:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=14826&p=65561&hilit=no+efi+partition#p65561
Also maybe:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14808&p=65442&hilit=efi+partition#p65442

Can you still boot into Windows on that laptop?
I had a issue with GRUB and Z12.4 ahead of my Z15 install. Boot Repair, under windows helped me get back to normal service. See this one:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=14653&p=64864&hilit=no+efi+partition#p64866

tld6008

Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:28:54 pm

zabadabadoo wrote:
tld6008 wrote:Well I tried to install Zorin using the Use Something Else option and after selecting the partitions and hit Install Now it says no "EFI partition found" and computer will probably not boot if installation proceeds!!!!!!

Don't know if this will be of any help to you in the short term:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=14826&p=65561&hilit=no+efi+partition#p65561
Also maybe:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14808&p=65442&hilit=efi+partition#p65442

Can you still boot into Windows on that laptop?
I had a issue with GRUB and Z12.4 ahead of my Z15 install. Boot Repair, under windows helped me get back to normal service. See this one:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=14653&p=64864&hilit=no+efi+partition#p64866

Thanks, that first link sounds easy enough just don't understand why it is not mentioned in any install instructions if it is required. I will try it later today.
BTW, My computer currently has windows 8 on it plus Zorin 12 and what I want to do is install with only Zorin 15. I was wondering if any extra step need to be taken to rid it of the windows side of things.

zabadabadoo

Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:16:17 pm

tld6008 wrote:BTW, My computer currently has windows 8 on it plus Zorin 12 and what I want to do is install with only Zorin 15. I was wondering if any extra step need to be taken to rid it of the windows side of things.

If you look at Swarfendor's Unofficial Manual for Zorin 15 page 13, you will see this written:
"Only Zorin to be installed?:
If Zorin is going to be the only system on your device, then choose the first
installation option where it wants to wipe everything out.
"

Like others I used the Something Else install option because I wished to do a dual-boot Windows/Zorin. That is not necessary if all you want to do is wipe Windows completely and use only Zorin exclusively on your machine. Probably worth creating Windows media in case you decide to switch back sometime in the future. Never say never.

tld6008

Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:16:22 pm

zabadabadoo wrote:
tld6008 wrote:BTW, My computer currently has windows 8 on it plus Zorin 12 and what I want to do is install with only Zorin 15. I was wondering if any extra step need to be taken to rid it of the windows side of things.

If you look at Swarfendor's Unofficial Manual for Zorin 15 page 13, you will see this written:
"Only Zorin to be installed?:
If Zorin is going to be the only system on your device, then choose the first
installation option where it wants to wipe everything out.
"

Like others I used the Something Else install option because I wished to do a dual-boot Windows/Zorin. That is not necessary if all you want to do is wipe Windows completely and use only Zorin exclusively on your machine. Probably worth creating Windows media in case you decide to switch back sometime in the future. Never say never.

Thanks I missed that part, I'm through with windows so I will go back and choose the first option and see what happens

zabadabadoo

Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:19:56 pm

tld6008 wrote:Thanks I missed that part, I'm through with windows so I will go back and choose the first option and see what happens

Did you manage to do your Zorin only install OK?

tld6008

Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:26:42 pm

Sorry this is so late but yes I was able to do the Zorin 15 only install, it worked well up until a week ago then I started have similar issues as before. I changed out the hard drive a couple of days ago so far so good except I can't restore the backup files I made before the switch. Seems like there might be or was an issue with that feature in the original Zorin 15 release.