[CLOSED] Jave Core Dump Error

[CLOSED] Jave Core Dump Error

Postby kay-dee » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:29 pm

Hi everyone.
I keep getting an Error Message in Home stating that Java “Failed to write core dump” and to run “ulimit -c unlimited” before running Java again. See Screen Shot. I ran that command in Terminal but it didn’t make any difference. I did a search on the forum and see george343 had the same issue but I didn’t see an answer provided. Anyone know what’s happening here? And how to repair the Core Dump?
Thanks as always,
Katie
Attachments
Screenshot from 2019-08-13 12-48-39.png
Clevo N141ZU with Zorin 15 only, Gnome DE, Dual Drive: SSD & HDD, Processor: Intel Core i7-10510U, 32 Gb RAM, Graphics: Intel UHD
kay-dee

Re: Jave Core Dump Error

Postby Aravisian » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:50 pm

It looks like you are running out of memory. I know, that seems odd. JDK 8 seems to be the culprit. According to Java bug report, they could not reproduce the bug with JDK 9.
Also, I found this thread where the poster describes his solution:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/180 ... mory-issue
Aravisian

Postby kay-dee » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:23 pm

Thanks Aravisian, but you’ve shot way over my head :-)
Not sure what JKD 8 is, but short of memory? I’ve got 8 gigs of RAM installed on a 1T of storage ThinkPad. And I’m not using this machine for much more than receiving email and downloading You Tube vids, mostly Linus Tutorials and a few, I mean a dozen or so, music vids. And any of these vids I find of interest, are moved to another machine. I should have plenty of resources.
I followed the link you supplied but didn’t understand much. Too many acronyms.
Do I need Java? Are there commands for the Terminal to find out what’s going on? Need something concrete to work with. Please.
Much thanks, as always…
Katie
Clevo N141ZU with Zorin 15 only, Gnome DE, Dual Drive: SSD & HDD, Processor: Intel Core i7-10510U, 32 Gb RAM, Graphics: Intel UHD
kay-dee

Postby Aravisian » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:54 pm

kay-dee wrote:Not sure what JKD 8 is, but short of memory? I’ve got 8 gigs of RAM installed on a 1T of storage ThinkPad. And I’m not using this machine for much more than receiving email and downloading You Tube vids, mostly Linus Tutorials and a few, I mean a dozen or so, music vids. And any of these vids I find of interest, are moved to another machine. I should have plenty of resources.

The above is exactly why I said, "I know, it seems odd."
You shouldn't be running out of memory, but that is what is happening. The reason why is a Bug.
Java which is what JDK is, is causing the bug but not dumping "old data" from the RAM. This will, over a bit of time, fill the RAM up. Do you need Java? I don't know, it depends on your usage but honestly, I bet you do not need JDK8 and it depends on what you are using for 9.
I uninstalled it from my machine a few days ago and with no ill effects. Try using Synaptic, search in the Synaptic search for "JDK" and if you find packages for "JDK8" go ahead and remove them. ONLY packages parked as JDK with "Java Runtime" in the description.
Aravisian

Postby kay-dee » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:33 pm

Thank you again, Aravision.
Sorry for the delay, I was out of town yesterday.
Here is a Screenshot from Synaptic and as you can see, JDK 8 is listed but does not seem to be installed. When I check on the box I only get the option to install.
Am I doing something wrong?
Katie
Attachments
Screenshot from 2019-08-25 15-24-37.png
kay-dee

Postby Aravisian » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:10 am

kay-dee wrote:Here is a Screenshot from Synaptic and as you can see, JDK 8 is listed but does not seem to be installed. When I check on the box I only get the option to install.

In terminal, can you
Code: Select all
java -version

kay-dee wrote:Am I doing something wrong?

It is just as possible that I am.
Let me search for helpful information.
Aravisian

Postby Aravisian » Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:32 am

kay-dee wrote:Thank you again, Aravision.
Sorry for the delay, I was out of town yesterday.
Here is a Screenshot from Synaptic and as you can see, JDK 8 is listed but does not seem to be installed. When I check on the box I only get the option to install.

Hmmm Odd, I just went up to the top and looked at your first screenshot and it said "version: Open JDK Environment (8.0_141-b15)"

I would suggest doing a complete re-install, first. Then see if it persists.

You may also check Libsoup and try suggestion 4 from this link:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/644 ... egv-libjvm
Aravisian

Postby kay-dee » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:45 pm

Well that didn't work....
Ran the two command lines in Answer 4. Was told they couldn't be found. I took a screen shot.
Ran "java -version" in terminal. Told me that Java could be installed and gave three choices. Took a screen shot.
Went to open my File Manager to check Pictures for the screen shots and File Manager would not open.
Re booted computer.
Zorin will not boot up.
Help!
Katie
kay-dee

Postby Aravisian » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:33 pm

kay-dee wrote:Well that didn't work....
Ran the two command lines in Answer 4. Was told they couldn't be found. I took a screen shot.
Ran "java -version" in terminal. Told me that Java could be installed and gave three choices. Took a screen shot.
Went to open my File Manager to check Pictures for the screen shots and File Manager would not open.
Re booted computer.
Zorin will not boot up.
Help!
Katie

From your Computer Splash Screen, hold the Left Shift Key down to pull up the Recovery Mode for Zorin.
Tab down to enable Network, first.
Then go back and check for broken packages.

Nothing you were doing could have caused that. (Entering the above commands in terminal like "Java -Version")
Given the Series of Unfortunate Errors, I hope you are not suffering hardware failure.
Aravisian

Postby Swarfendor437 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:15 am

The command is actually:

Code: Select all
java --version

[You were missing one dash Aravisian. ;) ]
https://vimeo.com/user15592214
https://www.deviantart.com/swarfendor437
https://trisquel.info/

Machine: ASUS X470-PRO, AMD Ryzen 7 1700X 8 Core, 16 Gb RAM, ZOTAC Geforce GT1030 (2 Gb)
Swarfendor437

Next

Return to Help and Support