This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Help needed to find POP Email Client for Zorin 12.4 LTS Lite

Scotty1954

Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:18:47 pm

I am making the switch from Windows OS on my 4 computer to Zorin! I have successfully instaled Zorin 12.4 LTS Lite on 1 of my computers and all went very well until I tried to configure the email program Geary. Much to my dismay I discover it only uses IMAP and that is not acceptable for me as I need to run POP or POP3 in order to delete all email once it migrate from my provider server. I know there is a later version of Geary that accommodates POP but I do not know if it will run OK on Zorin Lite. I also have heard Thunderbird it a good client. Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks:)

Swarfendor437

Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:50:28 pm

Hi, and welcome to the forum! Yes Thunderbird supports POP email and is very easy to setup. You should be able to install it from the Software centre - and you should be able to get rid of Geary via the Software centre too. I never understood why Team Zorin went with Geary - it looks so much like Outlook 365 with even less functionality. Thunderbird is very good at testing your account settings before it launches for the first time. I highly recommend it. ;) :D

hadisch

Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:55:47 am

Hi Scotty1954,

Scotty1954 wrote:Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks:)

Geary is really c*** in every way.
I'm quite happy with Evolution, but since you're using Zorin Lite, you probably want a lightweight client. I would recommend that you take a look at Claws-Mail, or even smaller, at Sylpheed. Both programs have served me well on a decrepit laptop for a long time.

Swarfendor437

Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:19:11 pm

hadisch wrote:Hi Scotty1954,

Scotty1954 wrote:Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks:)

Geary is really c*** in every way.
I'm quite happy with Evolution, but since you're using Zorin Lite, you probably want a lightweight client. I would recommend that you take a look at Claws-Mail, or even smaller, at Sylpheed. Both programs have served me well on a decrepit laptop for a long time.

I used claws mail and sylpheed and they crashed out on me so I now avoid them. ;) :D

mdiemer

Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:35:31 pm

Both Evolution and Thunderbird have worked well for me, the rest, not so much.

Scotty1954

Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:03:05 pm

So I found Thunderbird in the library and installed it in seconds! I was VERY pleased with the ease of configuration and it is now up and running. How do you close a post as I am very satisfied at this point.

Aravisian

Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:29:09 pm

Scotty1954 wrote:So I found Thunderbird in the library and installed it in seconds! I was VERY pleased with the ease of configuration and it is now up and running. How do you close a post as I am very satisfied at this point.

Scotty, all you gotta do is go to your First Post and click Edit.
Then in the Title Portion, add "SOLVED" to the existing title.
This helps others know where to look for assistance.