This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Installed 3rd party printer monitor but can't find how to st

Scotty1954

Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:10:30 pm

Here I am back with another newbie question. I have Zorin on 1 of 4 computers and was able to access my Epson WP-4020 printer via the windows network. I was able to find a generic driver that works and can print ok. In the future all 4 computers will be on Zorin so I want to be able to have more control of the printer. Epson has drivers and most importantly a Printer Utility for Linux on their website. So I downloaded the Printer Utility (need to check ink levels and more importantly clean heads) and I was able to install it ok. When I go to 'Software' I see it in the 'Add-ons 3rd party' section but I can't figure out how to get it to launch! Another bit of info and question .... I successfully installed Thunderbird and while looking around found a button to Uninstall Geary which I did. I now have an icon on my desktop labelled 'Volume' that I can not mount or get rid of! Is this desktop icon related to my removal of Geary or is it related to my installing the Epson printer utility? Any advice, as always, GREATLY appreciated!

Scotty1954

Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:09:23 pm

An update: After a while of trying to get the Epson printer monitor program to run I discovered the 'Run Program' utility only to find it could not find the Epson Utility! I looked in 'Software' and sure enough where I had seen it as installed in the Add-On section it was now gone! I tried to install it again and it showed that it was installed again but still could not get it to run. At this time another 'Volume' icon appeared on my desktop. Frustrated I shut down and quit for the day. This morning when I booted both 'Volume' icons are gone and the Epson Utility is no where to be found! It is like Zorin is cleaning up my messes as I make them!

Aravisian

Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:27:12 pm

Scotty1954 wrote:An update: After a while of trying to get the Epson printer monitor program to run I discovered the 'Run Program' utility only to find it could not find the Epson Utility! I looked in 'Software' and sure enough where I had seen it as installed in the Add-On section it was now gone! I tried to install it again and it showed that it was installed again but still could not get it to run. At this time another 'Volume' icon appeared on my desktop. Frustrated I shut down and quit for the day. This morning when I booted both 'Volume' icons are gone and the Epson Utility is no where to be found! It is like Zorin is cleaning up my messes as I make them!

The Mounted Volume items probably were due to the USB connection from the printer.
Are you running Zorin 15 or 12.4?

Any help here?:
https://epson.com/Support/wa00821

Can you open Synaptic Package Manager and check that you have these up to date and installed?:
libqtcore4, libqtgui4 and libcanberra-gtk-module.

If you do not have Synaptic, you can install with:
Code:
sudo apt-get install synaptic

Scotty1954

Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:43:24 pm

Aravisian,
Thanks so much for the reply! I has been thinking that the 'volume' icon has something to do with the printer not being plugged into the Zorin computer as I was accessing it via my windows network. So I installed Synaptic and then found and installed the packages you mentioned (libqtcore4, libqtgui4 and libcanberra-gtk-module). I then plugged the printer (USB) into the Zorin computer and looked for it. It was there and actually properly identified I had been using a somewhat generic driver when accessing it via windows network) So I removed the generic networked printer and then reinstalled the Printer Utility I am trying to get running. It seemed to install again but then I couldn't launch it tho it does show in the Software list as an add-on again. I got another icon on the desktop but this time instead of being labeled simply 'Volume' it is labeled '4.1KB Volume'. I can try to install a windows base Utility using Wine but would rather have a Linux app running. So at this point I am stuck again and will try to digest. Any clues would be GREATLY appreciated;)
Scotty

Swarfendor437

Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:58:21 pm

Hi Scotty1954,

I installed your printer driver and the utility. I had to use fake serial connection to install the Epson driver. I then tried searching for the utility. Then like canon scangear for my all-in-one I entered:

Code:
epson-printer-utility

when I ran it I got "error - missing canberra-gtk-module"

So if you have synaptic, I searched for "canberra" - and sure enough - there was the missing module in the list - installed it but got a daemon down - probably because I don't have a WP-4020 connected to this rig! ;) :D

Scotty1954

Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:42:51 pm

Woo-Hoo!! It works:) Thank you all so VERY much. I suspect I'll be back soon ,,, LOL!