This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Need help with wireless card driver install

zrcat97

Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:40:00 am

Hi, I am having trouble installing a driver for my wireless card, the wireless card is an Realtek RTL8192ce, and I have downloaded the proper driver from the Realtek website, I have the version 2.6.38-13 Generic Kernel, and i have updated the headers for kernel, but when i try to use the command make menuconfig, it doesnt go to the program, what am i missing, or needing, any help would be greatly appreciated, THANKS>

Wolfman

Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:59:12 am

Hi,

this is somewhat dated and for Mint but the principal is the same:

http://mentoliptus.blogspot.com/2008/03 ... howto.html

Regards Wolfman :D

madvinegar

Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:50:01 pm

You can also try one other thing.

Try to find the windows XP drivers of your ethernet card.
Download them and unzip them somewere on your pc, i.e. in your "downloads" folder. Check to see for a file that ends in ".inf".

Then go to control center and open "windows wireless drivers", click the "add" button and browse/select the ".inf" file.

That might do the trick.

zrcat97

Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:26:07 am

Ok, so i was able to get the driver installed, but then my wireless "radar" disappeared, and when i do the iwconfig, it tells me:

jason@jason-Satellite-C675:~$ iwconfig
lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

How do i get these extensions back? thanks for the replies and help

madvinegar

Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:32:26 am

First of all, how have you installed the drivers? Like I told you? Were they accepted/found? Did the blue light of Wifi turn on? Have you rebooted afterwords?

Secondly, have you checked (when you left click the wireless icon on the panel bar) that the "enable networking" and "enable wireless" are both ticked/enabled?

You don't need to worry about "no extentions" at
Code:
lo
and
Code:
eth0

You are trying now to get results for
Code:
wlan0

zrcat97

Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:18:57 am

So, I dont have the wireless icon at the notification bar, i have the wired icon, but not an area that i can enable wireless. I have the wireless button turned on, on the computer. Is there a way to turn that back on? Thanks

madvinegar

Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:26:37 am

Left click on the "wired icon" and on the menu that will appear tick "enable wireless". (Is this option there?)

cogier

Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:14:41 pm

Zorin is based on Ubuntu and they have a great help page for this issue. Have a look here https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/WirelessTroubleShootingGuide

zrcat97

Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:40:38 pm

Hey thanks for the INFO, i will giver her a try again tonight...by the way, i did re-install zorin to try all over again, so i do have the wireless icon back

Thanks again