This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

failed to download repository information check

NarakuITA

Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:03:42 pm

Question:
When I go up; Settings and Software Update, the following message appears:
"failed to download repository information check
Check your internet connection "
I am connected to the internet and surf very well without problems, both with cable and wi-fi.
How do I fix the problem?

I read a few discussions and performed the operations that others have benefited from by solving the problem. Unfortunately it didn't work for me.

Aravisian

Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:55:17 pm

NarakuITA wrote:Question:
When I go up; Settings and Software Update, the following message appears:
"failed to download repository information check
Check your internet connection "
I am connected to the internet and surf very well without problems, both with cable and wi-fi.
How do I fix the problem?

I read a few discussions and performed the operations that others have benefited from by solving the problem. Unfortunately it didn't work for me.

This happens to me all the time, as well. Another member also posted about it.

Swarfendor437

Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:57:21 pm

Hi, can you include a screenshot? If you haven't done so already, make sure you get your updates from 'Main Server' - first tab (left most) of Update settings. ;) :D

Aravisian

Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:39:23 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, can you include a screenshot? If you haven't done so already, make sure you get your updates from 'Main Server' - first tab (left most) of Update settings. ;) :D

I can pop one up right now.
I did as you suggest and switched to "Main Server"
Then ran for updates, it got most of the way through, then fell over dead with it's tongue lolling out.

(The tearing you see in the text on the window is because of the timing of the Screenshot snapping its picture)
2.png

3.png

EDIT: When I clicked "Details" it said it spit the Cairo-Dock repository information back out. That was the only repository item listed - I no longer use Cairo-dock, anyway.

Swarfendor437

Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:34:49 pm

Usually, it has come back to me now, you get this message when software that has been installed is not listed in Synaptic - e.g., Opera Browser will throw this up in another OS I use (FerenOS). Whilst you no longer use Cairo-Dock - are there any PPA references or Certificates present for same in the other Tabs. ;) :D

Swarfendor437

Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:44:49 pm

Interestingly, had same error message in FerenOS when I was updating the cache and I also removed some keys (Amazonaws Brave Browser Authentication Key) and Google Chrome.

Forgot about how deep Feren OS goes:

Workspace 1_028.jpg

Workspace 1_029.jpg

Aravisian

Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:58:24 pm

Are you saying that removing unnecessary repositories from sources list would resolve the issue?

Swarfendor437

Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:39:55 pm

It may do, but, for example, if you have Opera Browser installed you would get that error message as it is not usually found in official repositories as it is a 3rd Party offering as opposed to Ubuntu's official partners. ;) :D