This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Printer Drivers

Siliconstan

Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:21:33 am

I used Zorin 9 for quite a while and was quite happy about the way it easily setup network printer drivers.
I do some work in a place that has about 6 similar HP printers and one Brother multifunction printer.
Zorin 9 picked them all up.
Now I installed Zorin 15 in another laptop and tried to get linked to the same printers. It only linked to the Brother. but didnt automatically link to the HP's
Instead it gave a list of manufacurers and printer models drivers none of which which matched the model of printer I use. I highlighted the suggested driver and the printer did not work. Once, i tried a similar model number and the printer spewed out dozens of blank pages.
When the driver is not avcailable locally, what is the method of connedting?
I have used the software center to download chrome successfully. How do I get a driver for Zorin?
Zorin 15 is the only OS on the laptop.. I installed an SSD in the laptop, and swap it with Win 10 drive as needed.

Swarfendor437

Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:56:17 pm

Hi, the interface is not as polished as the old one which still exists it's just that you have to do some more hoop jumping or better still, open a terminal and enter:

Code:
sudo system-config-printer

This brings up the old interface - for your HP networked printers, if they have an assigned IP address which you can get by running the appropriate option from the printer, use the HP Jet Direct option:

HP JetDirect.jpg

If your HP printers have an IP address, enter that in the Host box. ;) :D

Siliconstan

Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:55:20 pm

Sorry to be ignorant, but went through all the settings etc and cant find how to go into a terminal. have done it with 9, windows and as far back as Sinclair-Timex basic. Where is it hiding?

Swarfendor437

Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:31:47 pm

Menu | Utilities | Terminal (or just enter Terminal in the search bar at the bottom of the menu), or Ctrl+ Alt+ T - or you could use Alt+ F2 and just enter the command in that? ;) :D

Siliconstan

Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:43:56 pm

Thanks for information, and I was able to use the old printer installment app.via terminal
However, the printers after driver installation, with and without the printer URL dont work, so restricted to the Brother printer for now. Still able to continue working
I have a 32 bit installation of Zorin 9 on an ASUS eee pc which continues to be linked to all printers, but slow, so reorganize my work to do something else while waiting.. The RAM is 1 Gb hardwired.
I have tried 2 installations of Zorin 9 64 bit, which work for a while, pick up the printers fine, but after some time start displaying internal error notifications which I just have ignored.. Then things start breakung down (mouse stops working) and eventually the OS becomes unuseable. I then use WIN 10 diskpart to clear, format and activate the drive and try something else. Linux Mint doesnt seem to work with the printers either.
I know its ancient history, but is there some fix to the error notification. It offers to report the error but nothing happens when I do.

Aravisian

Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:05:43 am

Siliconstan wrote:Thanks for information, and I was able to use the old printer installment app.via terminal
However, the printers after driver installation, with and without the printer URL dont work, so restricted to the Brother printer for now. Still able to continue working
I have a 32 bit installation of Zorin 9 on an ASUS eee pc which continues to be linked to all printers, but slow, so reorganize my work to do something else while waiting.. The RAM is 1 Gb hardwired.
I have tried 2 installations of Zorin 9 64 bit, which work for a while, pick up the printers fine, but after some time start displaying internal error notifications which I just have ignored.. Then things start breakung down (mouse stops working) and eventually the OS becomes unuseable. I then use WIN 10 diskpart to clear, format and activate the drive and try something else. Linux Mint doesnt seem to work with the printers either.
I know its ancient history, but is there some fix to the error notification. It offers to report the error but nothing happens when I do.

My hats off to ya for using Zorin 9, but why not go ahead and up your installation to Zorin 12.4 LITE 32bit? Zorin 9 may be just too out of date and is not receiving updates.
In this link:
https://zorinos.com/download/12/lite/
Select 32 bit on the right if you would like to try that out.
I am running 12.4 Lite 32 bit on a small older notebook and it is running like a total champ.
Zorin 9 is no longer supported, whereas 12.4 Lite is still supported.