This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Another newbie question --- Networking Zorin computers

Scotty1954

Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:14:07 pm

First off I appreciate all the help I have gotten so far in this forum! A recap: I am converting all 4 of my desktops and 2 laptops to Zorin from various Windows OS's. I have 1 desktop converted and have just finishing converting 1 of my laptops. The Laptop went ok but it is running a bit slower than I expected ... it is a dual-core 2.0ghz Intel cpu with 2gb ram. The desktop is a dual-core 3ghz cpu with only 1gb ram yet is much fater than the laptop. The Laptop conversion otherwise went well though I am having intermittent wireless disconnect issues. My research shows this is not an uncommon problem especially with Dell (I HATE Dell!) LOL... So I will continue researching and trying to debug the wireless issue. My reason for coming here today is I am lost when it comes to networking the Zorins. I can see my windows network via File Manager and access shared devices that are on the windows machines but the 2 Zorin computers don't seem to see each other .... or more accurate I have no clue where to look! I can not find any utility or anything to view the Zorin network and suspect I need to do something to network them but have no clue where to start. Any help would, as always, be GREATLY appreciated :)

Swarfendor437

Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:32:18 pm

Scotty1954

Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:31:20 pm

Update: OK... so first off the laptop is running better and the wireless disconnects have (knock on wood) stopped .... probably due to some updates I was able to get in. My research has lead me to believe that I will not be installing a network like in my windows machine but should be able to achieve the desired results via sharing. I have been successful in installing my printer on the Zorin desktop and sharing it and can now access it and print from the Zorin laptop. That is 90% of what I need but I also have numerous external hard drives that I would also like to share. I tried to connect 1 of the externals to the Zorin desktop and could not mount due to it being exfat file system .... so I installed the exfat utility packages and I was then able to mount and access the external. Now all I need to do is share the external but here I am stuck again! Any clues will be greatly appreciated:)
Scotty

Scotty1954

Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:26:38 pm

I thought Samba might be the answer to I installed it only to discover it is mainly for Zorin/Windows sharing which I will NOT need .... so I uninstalled it and am back to start. Still can't figure out how to share the external drive.....

Swarfendor437

Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:24:03 pm

Hi, take a look at these two pieces of information/thread I have found:

https://www.wikihow.com/Share-Files-Bet ... -Using-NFS

https://www.linuxquestions.org/question ... ve-601848/