This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] not enough free space on /boot

carmar

Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:35:13 pm

Silly question, I thought system updates were installed to root, not boot. I'm getting a message when trying to update.
I reinstalled Zorin, some time back, with 38G root partition (11G used). But I still only have 464MB boot partition (359MB used).
Is boot space the new thing to worry about? Is this because I let old kernels stay?

Swarfendor437

Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:53:22 pm

Hi, Did you set up /boot at install or did you do an automatic install? I only ever create a /boot partition manually for complex installs (Win 10 if I ever used it but not in the future) or complex SSD's like on EEEpc netbooks. When doing a 'something else' install I only ever use:

/esp (50 Mb) (if GPT/secure boot install
/root (30/50 Gb
/home (space left at beginning of extended partition)
/swap (at end of extended partition, double the physical RAM) - (NOT needed if installing to SSD!)

carmar

Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:28:38 pm

I set up root, boot, swap (12GB since RAM is 6GB), home (20GB) partitions myself on installation. Not automatic installation, the "something else" option.
I have only HDDs, not SSDs.

hadisch

Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:01:53 pm

Presumably there are too many old kernels around in /boot.
sudo apt autoremove --purge should solve the problem.

carmar

Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:32:54 pm

Thanks, hadisch. That is also what the Software Updater messaged.

To be more specific, my question is:
In the long run, is it more efficient (time cost, not disk cost) to either: (a) have a larger boot partition than 500 MB, or, (b) keep cleaning out old kernels ?

Based on Swarf's and your response, it seems (a) is the answer. But if anyone recommends (b), I'd like to know what boot partition size they recommend.

hadisch

Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:29:56 pm

Since too little space today is no longer an issue, I would put on a larger /boot partition. But it does not hurt to occasionally clean up under the old kernels. I myself have not seen any need for a separate /boot partition.

Aravisian

Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:12:51 pm

hadisch wrote:Since too little space today is no longer an issue, I would put on a larger /boot partition. But it does not hurt to occasionally clean up under the old kernels. I myself have not seen any need for a separate /boot partition.

I agree. My boot partition is default 500megs and I never have any issues. I also do not hang on to old kernels.
However, just as we all use our brains differently, people use their computers differently, too. A person that does a LOT of installations of software, trying out many different softwares and testing will probably be better served with a bit more boot space.
The only solid recommendation is to find your groove and snuggle up into it. Whatever works best for you is what is best for you.
If you feel like you are needing to clean too often and too much, then you may be cleaning too often and too much for your tastes. ;)

carmar

Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:50:27 pm

hadisch wrote:Since too little space today is no longer an issue, I would put on a larger /boot partition. But it does not hurt to occasionally clean up under the old kernels. I myself have not seen any need for a separate /boot partition.

Thanks. What do you recommend for larger boot size?

Aravisian wrote:...
However, just as we all use our brains differently, people use their computers differently, too. A person that does a LOT of installations of software, trying out many different softwares and testing will probably be better served with a bit more boot space
If you feel like you are needing to clean too often and too much, then you may be cleaning too often and too much for your tastes. ;)

I don't use my brain at all - it should show in my posts. ;) :D :o

But seriously, thanks A.

This is the first time I saw the boot space message since I installed (for both 1st and current Zorin install). I install my windows games occasionally using PlayOnLinux but I don't get any space messages due to them. Other than that I don't install any other new software. My root partition has consistently been 11GB since I reinstalled Zorin with a 38GB root partition. I'm fine with the extra space sitting unused but I'm also fine with frequent cleaning.

Ok, once hadisch recommends a larger boot size, I may consider reinstalling but first I'll do a cleanup for sure. I have no problem doing a reinstall with different partitions since I don't install many programs. And my storage drives are separate from my system drives, so my setup times are very small after an OS install.

hadisch

Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:48:26 pm

carmar wrote:Thanks. What do you recommend for larger boot size?

I would recommend 500 MB - 2 GB, so that there is always enough space for kernel updates. But like I said, I actually do not see any need for a separate boot partition.

carmar

Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:29:33 pm

Thanks. One more question. When you write 'separate boot partition', do you mean that if I install without specifying a boot partition (while using the 'something else' option during install), then I should be ok? So, I can install after just specifying the root, home, and swap partition sizes? Or did I misunderstand?

hadisch

Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:57:11 pm

It is exactly like that. As far as I know, a separate boot partition is only necessary if you encrypt your entire system.
On my system I only have partitions for root, swap, home and timeshift. On my old laptop I had an encrypted system at times, in which case a separate boot partition was required.

Swarfendor437

Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:42:37 pm

That is all I ever do. But if your motherboard has EFI then you will also need an ESP partition.

carmar

Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:37:56 pm

Very useful stuff I was unaware of. Thanks, both. Now I know about timeshift and ESP partitions too.

hadisch

Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:12:16 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:That is all I ever do. But if your motherboard has EFI then you will also need an ESP partition.

Interesting, I did not know that yet. I have never had to deal with EFI.

Swarfendor437

Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:01:46 am

hadisch wrote:
Swarfendor437 wrote:That is all I ever do. But if your motherboard has EFI then you will also need an ESP partition.

Interesting, I did not know that yet. I have never had to deal with EFI.

Here is a snapshot of my Zorin drive:

esp.jpg

carmar

Mon May 11, 2020 3:43:44 pm

Sorry to necropost. I was installing Core on my niece's laptop - Satellite p55w-c5316: https://support.dynabook.com/support/st ... Link=false

I turned off UEFI. On install, after setting root and home, the setup insisted I set aside space for boot. Hadisch had suggested up to 2GB and I didn't know how to set the boot, esp flags so I arbitrarily picked 10GB (certainly not the mean between Swarf's 100GB and Hadisch's upper estimate) and then selected "Reserve for Boot" - or something like that selection in the drop down menu. What should I have done correctly?

Aravisian

Mon May 11, 2020 7:00:48 pm

carmar wrote:Sorry to necropost. I was installing Core on my niece's laptop - Satellite p55w-c5316: https://support.dynabook.com/support/st ... Link=false

I turned off UEFI. On install, after setting root and home, the setup insisted I set aside space for boot. Hadisch had suggested up to 2GB and I didn't know how to set the boot, esp flags so I arbitrarily picked 10GB (certainly not the mean between Swarf's 100GB and Hadisch's upper estimate) and then selected "Reserve for Boot" - or something like that selection in the drop down menu. What should I have done correctly?

For me, 10gigs would be more than enough. I have noticed that others seem to install a lot more software and need more space (Or they install a bunch of stuff that they never remove). I am probably using about 2 gigs for root, now... But when I first started using Zorin, it was closer to 5gigs, with Home using another 5 or 6 gigs.
Fifty gigs should be plenty enough for any average user.

Swarfendor437

Mon May 11, 2020 7:57:07 pm

carmar wrote:Sorry to necropost. I was installing Core on my niece's laptop - Satellite p55w-c5316: https://support.dynabook.com/support/st ... Link=false

That was an install error on my part - must have been nodding off when I wanted it to be 100 Mb! :lol: :oops:

carmar

Mon May 11, 2020 9:31:26 pm

Thanks to you both.
Actually, I set her root to 100GB - she's not gonna install anything without me knowing (or if she does there is still an obscene amount of space) but she has a 1TB whopper of a drive so I figured why not. After 24GB swap she had ~800GB still left for home. Even then install still asked me for boot space and that is where I picked 10GB just for boot.

Could you still explain to me how to set "boot, esp" flags or should I not worry about that?

Swarfendor437

Tue May 12, 2020 2:54:06 pm

Hi, It should show up when you install as one of the options in respect of 'esp' should show up if you have EFI enabled in the BIOS. Whilst i am now steering well clear of Makulu - one of it's install features was a reminder if you hadn't created an EFI partition, the same with FerenOS.

carmar

Tue May 12, 2020 3:02:12 pm

Thanks. Ok, I will look for it if I don't disable UEFI and then aim for ~10GB if I have lots of space.

Swarfendor437

Tue May 12, 2020 3:07:36 pm

carmar wrote:Thanks. Ok, I will look for it if I don't disable UEFI and then aim for ~10GB if I have lots of space.

For the EFI partition (ESP) then it only needs to be 50 Mb max - the recommended size is 35 Mb - and format to FAT32. :D

carmar

Tue May 12, 2020 11:51:33 pm

Ah ok. I'll keep it at 50 MB then. Thanks, again.