This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Decrease space between taskbar icons

lukebrenner

Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:05:36 pm

Hi there, I could not find any info on this. It's not about the small icons in the system tray, it's about the icons "pined" to the taskbar (see attachment). Is there a way to decrease the space between them ? I checked dconf editor, nothing. I checked gnome tweaks, nothing.
Using Zorin 15 up to date.
Many thanks in advance.

Swarfendor437

Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:18:58 pm

Hi, take a look here:

https://unix.stackexchange.com/question ... debian-whe

last posting. ;) :D

Keep us posted.

lukebrenner

Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:26:52 pm

Hi, thank you I already read that. It's not about THOSE I ons in the system tray. It's about the pined icons.

Aravisian

Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:20:48 pm

lukebrenner wrote:Hi, thank you I already read that. It's not about THOSE I ons in the system tray. It's about the pined icons.

lukebrenner, can you check what GTK theme you are currently using?
The principle of what Swarfendor linked to is the same- you want to reduce the gnome panel padding.
If the theme you are using has a Gnome-shell.css, you can change it there or you can create a gtk.css file in your ~/.config/gtk-3.0 folder with the necessary code. Much like you see in the thread linked to you, but you need to specify panel-button entry, -natural-hpadding and -minimum-hpadding values.
If you give a bit of time, can try to find or compose a copy/paste code for you.
I am not aware of a GUI method of doing this.

lukebrenner

Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:37:08 pm

Thanks Aravisian, I found the path to the css file of the theme, it's in the screenshot attached (so I am using zorin-95 theme) . The thing is that it does not change much of the appearance if I change the specified values. But maybe I made a mistake, I want to JUST change the padding of the PINNED icons on the taskbar ( the "added to favorites" ones in Zorin 15 ), not the icons of the active applications ( in Windows they are tabs not icons ), NOR the icons in the system tray.

Aravisian

Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:30:48 pm

lukebrenner wrote:Thanks Aravisian, I found the path to the css file of the theme, it's in the screenshot attached (so I am using zorin-95 theme) . The thing is that it does not change much of the appearance if I change the specified values. But maybe I made a mistake, I want to JUST change the padding of the PINNED icons on the taskbar ( the "added to favorites" ones in Zorin 15 ), not the icons of the active applications ( in Windows they are tabs not icons ), NOR the icons in the system tray.

That does look right. Odd that it didn't change your padding values on screen- did you restart gnome-shell / gnome panel after setting the new values?
I might add that changing the padding works for xfce-panel and it USED to work this way for gnome panel but I ran into a similar issue as yours when I tried to change the space between titlebuttons. I could change the padding, but I could never reduce that space between titlebuttons, although I could expand the space between titlebuttons.
So I am not sure on this, but I am sure we can figure something out with time.

lukebrenner

Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:46:39 pm

Hi, I changed the padding from 12 to 3 px, that is 3/4 of reduction so it SHOULD be (very) visible. Instead it changed the padding like one or two pixels or so.
I bought the Ultimate version ( not really for the features, but out of respect and support for the developers). I checked the info on the homepage and now I realize that support is offered ONLY for the the installation :) so no "aftersales" support.
Anyways, I think it is somewhere in that theme css file. It depends on the "view" as well. I have selected the "windows" view. Logically, for the Mac Gnome view the structure changes, so what css file is it then ?
I'll check some more when I'll have the time and report my findings here.
There's really NOBODY from the development team answering questions here ?
Cheers

Aravisian

Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:16:00 pm

lukebrenner wrote:Hi, I changed the padding from 12 to 3 px, that is 3/4 of reduction so it SHOULD be (very) visible. Instead it changed the padding like one or two pixels or so.
I bought the Ultimate version ( not really for the features, but out of respect and support for the developers). I checked the info on the homepage and now I realize that support is offered ONLY for the the installation :) so no "aftersales" support.
Anyways, I think it is somewhere in that theme css file. It depends on the "view" as well. I have selected the "windows" view. Logically, for the Mac Gnome view the structure changes, so what css file is it then ?
I'll check some more when I'll have the time and report my findings here.
There's really NOBODY from the development team answering questions here ?
Cheers

This is more of a Gnome Issue, not an issue related to the Zorin side of development. However, the Zorin Team which consists of two overworked people, are very helpful and nice guys. I have never seen them turn a person away refusing to help. It doesn't mean they never do- I have just never witnessed it.
That being said... I have not used Gnome Panel in a long while. I will keep looking into this as time allows and I am confident a solution will be found.

Swarfendor437

Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:32:28 pm

I've been mooching around on the internet and have read posts on other distributions about using gconf-editor. Decided to install, and just like the change of how dconf-editor looks and performs, the same can be said of gconf-editor - whilst gconf-editor has a similar design to the old dconf-editor, none of the items can be 'written to' (values changed) - will be available in a later release.

Current layout in 15 of dconf-editor:
dconf-editor in 15.jpg

gconf-editor (launched from terminal after installing):

dconf-editor in 15.jpg

no 'wm' value present in current gconf-editor.

(Source of my investigation (last post): https://www.unix.com/unix-desktop-quest ... ditor.html)

:(