This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Is Zorin compatible with the new AMD APU's

stealthp90

Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:31:56 am

Hi i was wondering Zorin is fully compatible with the new AMD APU do to other versions of Linux are not. Could some one answer this question. Also can you run steam ans steam games on Zorin. Thank you.

Wolfman

Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:42:04 pm

Hi,

I can only post a link about steam, about the other thing, I just don't know!!.

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wik ... nder_Linux

Regards Wolfman :D

manmath

Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:16:58 am

Yes. Zorin 5.2 is fully compatible with all the recent AMD APU's including - Ontario (C-30, C-50 and C-60), Zacate (E-340, E-350 and E-450) and Lano (A-4, A-6 and A-8). The stock Zorin 5.2 kernel recognizes all the cores and graphics subcore very well. However, the opensource gallium drivers are very lame at this moment to utilize the full potential of the graphics. You should install fglrx and xvba-va-driver packages for complete 2D/3D acceleration and proper power management.

There's one more annoyance you should take care. Zorin 5.2 pulls packages from Natty repositories. It's fine except xvba-va-driver package. So, after installing fglrx prackages, download xvba-va-driver from Oneiric repository and install. It should go well.

I've ran zorin on Asus 1215B (with C-50 APU) and HP dm1z (with E-350 APU). The experience has been rewarding with propriatary catalyst drivers.