This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Sound profile for surround sound showing as stereo - Zorin15

livingdead

Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:13:48 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm pretty new to Linux and new to Zorin 15, but I have this on my main PC now and am loving it. I am having some problems with the sound set up though. Installation went great and out of the box I had sound on my TV through HDMI, and sound on my external surround sound system, connected via optical connection. However, I realised later that the surround sound system only has a profile for stereo, and no 5.1 profile. There is nothing else on the drop down list and seemingly no way to change this from the settings menus.

Can anybody help with this please?

Swarfendor437

Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:24:45 pm

livingdead

Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:58:27 pm

Hi, thanks for your reply. I've had a read of that thread, and have installed Pulse Audio to have a deeper look into the configuration. On the configuration tab there are profiles for everything, including 5.1, but all are shown as unplugged apart from the stereo options. I've always been able to use the surround before, so I'm unsure what the issue is. Thanks

Swarfendor437

Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:56:44 am

You need to read that thread again more closely! ;)

livingdead

Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:09:05 pm

Thanks, I've got this working via pass through on Kodi, but that's not an ideal solution as it only works via Kodi, not VLC or other output sources. It'll work for the time being though. Thanks

Aravisian

Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:04:51 pm

livingdead wrote:Thanks, I've got this working via pass through on Kodi, but that's not an ideal solution as it only works via Kodi, not VLC or other output sources. It'll work for the time being though. Thanks

Sometimes, entering tty1 can jostle it.
If you hit ctrl+alt+f1 it will take you into tty1. Enter your username and password. Then, hit ctrl+alt+f7 to revert back to your main screen and exit tty1 and then your pavucotnrol configuration tab will show stereo output as plugged.
This works for some.
You might also try setting the profile from terminal
Code:
pacmd set-card-profile 0 output:hdmi-stereo

Swarfendor437

Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:24:06 pm

Going back to that thread:

"...the problem was the S/PDIF link between my TV and speakers, which can only carry two uncompressed audio channels..." ;)