This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED :D] Noob issue on WIFI Zorin BCM4312 Inspiron

oguerra

Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:35:10 am

I know this is a More than published topic, sorry if i am not too clear on the diagnostics and since English is not my first language, and I'm new on installing Zorin instead of Win,

I ran the following commands as suggested on previous posts:
lspci -nn | grep 0280
Code:
0c:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY [14e4:4315] (rev 01)

Tried to sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -f

afterwards tried to run this:
sudo apt-get install bcmwwl-kernel-source
Code:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package bcmwl-kernel-source

Any other thing to try, I really want to get the Wifi enabled :? :?

Swarfendor437

Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:32:54 pm

oguerra

Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:23:04 pm

Thanks, Swarfendor437, so according to your attached thread, what I'm missing is this:
Code:
sudo apt-get install  firmware-b43-lpphy-installer

and reboot afterwards :D

Swarfendor437

Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:10:52 pm

So it's working? Can we mark this thread as [SOLVED]? ;) :D

oguerra

Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:02:48 am

Sorry I still get the Error of Unable to locate package

Code:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package firmaware-b43-installer

:?: :?: :?: what am I doing wrong?

Aravisian

Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:39:32 am

oguerra wrote: :?: :?: :?: what am I doing wrong?

oguerra, when you install from terminal, you do need to be sure that your repositories are up to date.
A repository is like a community bank account- the software is stored in a repository and the users access it with a "key" to download and install it.

Let's make sure you are up to date with your repositories and software:
In terminal, please copy and paste over the following:
Code:
sudo sh -c 'echo "deb http://packages.linuxmint.com/ tessa upstream" >> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mint.list'

Code:
sudo apt-get update

Always be sure to run 'sudo apt-get update' after you add or change a repository.
Now, let's see if you can install:
Code:
sudo apt-get install firmware-b43-installer

This should work. :)

For the bcmwl-kernel-source

Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:longsleep/bcmwl

Code:
sudo apt-get update

Code:
sudo apt-get install bcmwl-kernel-source

FOr a GUI method, you may want to use a GUI installer:
Code:
sudo apt-get install synaptic

Once Synaptic Package Manager is installed, you can find it in your Apps Menu under the System Category OR under System Tools> Administration; Open and run- you will need to enter your password for elevated privileges.
In Synaptic, look for "Search" upper right side of the toolbar (Which may be more middle of the screen...)
Open Search and enter into it: bcmwl-kernel-source, and it should return a result.

Swarfendor437

Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:08:38 pm

First, Go into Software Updater and change the settings from where you get updates from to 'Main Server' instead of your country's locale server for updates.
I would also look at making sure you have an ethernet connection to your router, and boot into recovery mode (you have to hold the left shift key down to see GRUB. Choose the Advanced Recovery mode and when you get the options menu, select Network enabled, then once done come back to the main options menu and run DPKG - this will ensure that all packages needed, including hardware, get installed. Afterwards, don't select 'Continue' but power off the machine and then boot up. ;) :D

oguerra

Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:28:24 pm

Thanks Aravisian That did it all right,

I've been putting off learning Linux for quite a while now, I was tempted to go the GUI way, but I have to try it the Terminal method first, I vome from years of GUI ussage and need the satifaction of reviving an old PC

Thanks again, and Happy coding! :D

Aravisian

Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:46:02 pm

oguerra wrote:I've been putting off learning Linux for quite a while now, I was tempted to go the GUI way, but I have to try it the Terminal method first, I vome from years of GUI ussage and need the satisfaction of reviving an old PC

I had put it off for a very long time, too. It was only very recently I was forced to make the move when my windows machine died.
I started on Zorin and Swarfendor and Zorinantwerp on here got me through a lot of newcomer woes.
Please follow his post above, since he's right, the firmware is included in Zorin and should have installed with the O.S.
There may be other things missing.

You are right, too, the terminal is more powerful a utility than the GUI methods and many GUI methods merely enter a simple command that you could enter through a terminal, but the GUI brings more bloatware.
It takes some getting used to and seasoned Linux veterans sometimes forget to "apt update" or to "sudo -i" first. It can be frustrating when you are not sure what went wrong and it doesn't tell you. But when you get the hang of it, it's very simple and straightforward much of the time.
I knew already the linuxMint repository would work because i have been converting some stuff over to the Cinnamon Desktop just to learn how. But you may need to replace that repository for an Ubuntu one in your sources list when you get around to it...

Swarfendor437

Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:21:14 pm

There is also the 'text install' method posted by decalman:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8004&p=38810&hilit=text+based#p38810