This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

zorin os 15 core hangs when powering off

medoking2900

Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:53:46 am

hi, i have installed zorin os core 15 a while ago on the same hardware as of right now and it worked flawlessly , but 3 days ago , i formatted everything the right way zorin os then the windows (dual boot) , and reinstalled again , there is a weird problem i am having , when powering off from zorin os , it plays the animation and then hangs on powering off , and i have to press the power button for 10 seconds to force the laptop to go off , now i updated and upgraded the system , same problem still exist , i tried to clean install it again , same problem , i tried reinstalling with a newer ISO image , still no , i tried to make the live usb installation volume with Etcher rather than rufus , still nothing happened , what could be the problem ??? is there something or some code i have to put to solve this , could there be a program stopping the power off ?? please help .... in the meanwhile i restart from zorin , enter windows and then power off from windows ,another thing , when i suspend the system , sometimes when i wake it up it goes directly to the desktop without the login process !!

Swarfendor437

Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:07:08 pm

medoking2900 wrote:hi, i have installed zorin os core 15 a while ago on the same hardware as of right now and it worked flawlessly , but 3 days ago , i formatted everything the right way zorin os then the windows (dual boot) , and reinstalled again , there is a weird problem i am having , when powering off from zorin os , it plays the animation and then hangs on powering off , and i have to press the power button for 10 seconds to force the laptop to go off , now i updated and upgraded the system , same problem still exist , i tried to clean install it again , same problem , i tried reinstalling with a newer ISO image , still no , i tried to make the live usb installation volume with Etcher rather than rufus , still nothing happened , what could be the problem ??? is there something or some code i have to put to solve this , could there be a program stopping the power off ?? please help .... in the meanwhile i restart from zorin , enter windows and then power off from windows ,another thing , when i suspend the system , sometimes when i wake it up it goes directly to the desktop without the login process !!

Highlighted text - you put Zorin OS on the machine first, then Windows! No! Windows first THEN Zorin so that Windows is at the start of the drive and Zorin at 'the end' of the drive. ;) :D

medoking2900

Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:48:16 pm

yeah , sorry for the way i put it , but i meant that i deleted zorin os first from windows 10 and then formatted windows 10 , and then added zorin os 15 again (dual boot with windows) to check if a fresh install solve the problem since i was speculating that it might be a program or a code or something that made this problem happens , but nothing changed , it is weird , so i done all of that again removing zorin os then formatting windows and then installing zorin os again (dual boot with windows) but from a different iso image , i thought that it could be an corrupted image iso that causes this problem in the system but still the same , and then i tried everything again with etcher -to create the live usb to install zorin os- instead of rufus, still same thing , how can i make sure that the part that is responsible for running the process (powering off the machine) is correct and nothing affected it and made this problem ??
so it is not the installation process since i finished troubleshooting this part.

Aravisian

Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:14:42 pm

medoking2900 wrote:when powering off from zorin os , it plays the animation and then hangs on powering off , and i have to press the power button for 10 seconds to force the laptop to go off

Troubleshooting this one is not so easy as many things can cause it.
All you can do is start at the top of the list and work your way along until you find the fix.

-Auto suspend may be causing the issue:
try going to Settings > Power and then turn off all Automatic Suspend options. Set blank screen to Never.

-You may need to update or adjust nivida / Xorg drivers.

-Some solve this issue by switching from GDM to Lightdm. But that can have it's own problems, so I wouldn't recommend trying this one right away.

-Entering in terminal
Code:
poweroff -f
may work to shutdown without holding the powerbutton down.

-Check if your PC uses Intels "Bay Trail" CPU (Mine does and I have had this problem.
If it does, in terminal:
Code:
sudo -H gedit /etc/default/grub

Change
Code:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet-splash"

to
Code:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="intel_idle.max_cstate=1"

Alternatively change it to:
Code:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=""

-You may try turning secure boot off.

-You may try hitting escape during shutdown and looking for what is causing hang, such as an unruly program refusing to quit.

medoking2900 wrote: in the meanwhile i restart from zorin , enter windows and then power off from windows ,another thing , when i suspend the system , sometimes when i wake it up it goes directly to the desktop without the login process !!

I have no idea on this one...

carmar

Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:29:09 pm

FWIW, I have not had a problem using Easy BCD https://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/ - I have Win and Zorin on separate drives and installed Zorin after Win. Ran Easy BCD on Win to set up the boot order and never had a problem with either one booting or shutting down. May help you.

medoking2900 wrote:when i suspend the system , sometimes when i wake it up it goes directly to the desktop without the login process !!

I did a Zorin reinstall and there is some selection (can't remember, was under the "something else" option) where I selected to not have it ask me for password. It has never been one or the other for me. In one install it asked me for password always. In the other, once I selected the option, it never asks me for password when back from suspend.

Aravisian

Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:47:23 pm

carmar wrote:FWIW, I have not had a problem using Easy BCD https://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/ - I have Win and Zorin on separate drives and installed Zorin after Win. Ran Easy BCD on Win to set up the boot order and never had a problem with either one booting or shutting down. May help you.

medoking2900 wrote:when i suspend the system , sometimes when i wake it up it goes directly to the desktop without the login process !!

I did a Zorin reinstall and there is some selection (can't remember, was under the "something else" option) where I selected to not have it ask me for password. It has never been one or the other for me. In one install it asked me for password always. In the other, once I selected the option, it never asks me for password when back from suspend.

This is true: Automatic Login. But Medoking described a situation where that is not selected and only logs in without authorization sporadically, not consistently.

medoking2900

Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:03:31 am

Hi , it start showing me this https://imgur.com/a/7CpkDmj when i power off now , i don't understand why and how this problem is possible.

Swarfendor437

Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:44:22 am

Similar solutions to what Aravisian has already suggested:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1029068 ... t-shutdown