This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

files > other locations> networks no show - gufw / ufw?

Finston Pickle

Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:54:32 pm

I am working on my Plex Media Server and wanted to see the other networked devices (which are having difficulty connecting to the server).

I know, I'll look in Nautilus using files > other locations> networks, I thought.

It sees a windows network, but can not get a response from it and it can't see the other devices - router, printer, TV, Apple TV and Roku boxes - which the router sees on our private network.

I've found this out rather late in the day on my Zorin12 laptop.

Is there anything that I can do the get visibility (and connectivity) back?

Do I need to allow the Plex or other ports in the firewall gufw?

Priter works fine and Ethenet and Internet are working fine also.

Swarfendor437

Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:46:11 am

Don't know if the 'mount' video I posted in Off-topic would help?:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=14932

Finston Pickle

Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:14:55 pm

Thanks Swarf, but mount points etc. is a bit heavy for me.

I think that I have other Nautilus problems which I will develop in another thread.

My network no show also applies to other file managers, so I wonder if it is a gufw / ufw issue?

I opened gufw and it was selected off - does this mean all ports etc. are open?

If it is on does it mean only outgoing comms are allowed?

I looked in /etc/ufw/applications.d and found entries for cups and samba and added one for plexmediaserver (that I found online), but saw nothing of any of them in gufw, when I switched it on.

I am altering the thread title to reflect the gufw / ufw concerns.

Swarfendor437

Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:59:00 pm

You will have to expand the thread at the top of this page to see solution:

https://www.reddit.com/r/PleX/comments/ ... lex_sever/

Finston Pickle

Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:59:26 pm

Thanks for that tip, Swarf.

Co-incidentallt, I stumbled on that solution online. I will tell on my plex struggles in another thread soon - it looks as though I might even be there now - more checks to do!!

It does seem as there are a collection of standard, installed but unactivated ways to improve what ufw/gufw lets through.

Has anybody ever come across one that allows ufw/gufw to let Nautilus see what is on its local network.

As I know the fixed IPs of the otherdevices on my network, there should be some way of letting them be pinged and respond "I'm here" you would think. I need a file called 'Nautilus' in /etc/ufw/applications.d/ if someone could tell me what it should say.

On my Feren O/S system, I can see and copy my windows files at will on other drives, as standard, out of the box. Why not on Zorin?

Perhaps I will look to see what is in /etc/ufw/applications.d/ inFeren - it uses ufw/gufw with gufw being installed as part of the O/S.