This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

gksudo nautilus errors

Finston Pickle

Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:27:48 pm

I have recently found that gksudo nautilus > password still brings up nautilus, but that the Terminal is reporting errors. The last time I ran it, the error was:

(nautilus:21394): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_dbus_interface_skeleton_unexport: assertion 'interface_->priv->connections != NULL' failed

Nautilus still seems to run OK, but I wonder if all of its functions are OK (No way of telling).

I've checked in Synaptic Package Manager and there are no broken packages showing.

I don't want to delete / reinstall Nautilus as it is so central to Zorin12 that I am afraid that I will lose my display and various settings.

Any suggestions, please?

Swarfendor437

Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:01:24 pm

Finston Pickle

Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:08:36 pm

Yes, Swarf, I found that solution online.

In response, Terminal sudo -i nautilus returned something even more worrying:

This gave:

(nautilus:3250): Gtk-WARNING **: Failed to register client: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.gnome.SessionManager was not provided by any .service files
sys:1: PyGIWarning: Nautilus was imported without specifying a version first. Use gi.require_version('Nautilus', '3.0') before import to ensure that the right version gets loaded.
** (nautilus:3250): CRITICAL **: Another desktop manager in use; desktop window won't be created
** (nautilus:3250): CRITICAL **: nautilus_menu_provider_get_background_items: assertion 'NAUTILUS_IS_MENU_PROVIDER (provider)' failed
** (nautilus:3250): CRITICAL **: nautilus_menu_provider_get_background_items: assertion 'NAUTILUS_IS_MENU_PROVIDER (provider)' failed

Impressive or what!! Even more ominous than gksudo nautilus! Still seemed to work though.

Aravisian

Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:35:15 pm

Finston Pickle wrote:ilus:3250): Gtk-WARNING **: Failed to register client: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.gnome.SessionManager was not provided by any .service files

Scary looking, but nothing much to worry about.
This means that Nautilus is being run outside of its normal Nautilus/Gnome Desktop Environment.
Finston Pickle wrote:sys:1: PyGIWarning: Nautilus was imported without specifying a version first. Use gi.require_version('Nautilus', '3.0') before import to ensure that the right version gets loaded.

This pops up when you run nautilus from the terminal without saying which version to run. It is a dumb error, considering that there should be only one version installed and most destop managers default to the latest version. Again, nothing to worry about.
Finston Pickle wrote:** (nautilus:3250): CRITICAL **: Another desktop manager in use; desktop window won't be created

Impressive or what!! Even more ominous than gksudo nautilus! Still seemed to work though.

These errors appear when Nautilus is run outside of its normal desktop environment. For example, if you run Nautilus while using the Zorin Lite XFCE desktop Environment. I get all of the above errors whenever I run Nautilus while testing the window manager themes I am working on for the above stated reasons.
It will work just fine and it will not break your system.

Finston Pickle

Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:53:35 pm

Thanks for the reassurance - I'll keep on "truckin".