This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin 12 ufw and gufw allows

Finston Pickle

Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:56:05 pm

I recently worked on allowing plex to work in ufw by creating a plex media server file in:
/etc/ufw/applications.d

I then used the terminal to input:
ufw app update plexmediaserver (might have needed root permission)

and to use it with:
ufw allow plexmediaserver-all (one of the options to allow both Plex and DLNA to work)

For a while Plex seemed to work fine and be able to see the outside world. Then I shut down my laptop and restarted. Unfortunately Plex no longer saw the outside world. Was it a one time fix?

As suggested by Swarf, I went to https://www.reddit.com/r/PleX/comments/ ... lex_sever/ looking for inspiration.

In terminal, I tried

sudo ufw allow plexmediaserver (one of the options which allows only Plex to work)
sudo ufw reload

(and saw)

$ sudo ufw allow plexmediaserver
[sudo] password for ubuntu:
Rule added
Rule added (v6)

$ sudo ufw reload
Firewall reloaded

I looked to see what was happening in ufw by opening gufw:
$ sudo gufw gufw opens

I went to see what Plex made of this

sudo service plexmediaserver stop
sudo service plexmediaserver restart

I was about to see if my local and remote Plex apps were working again.

BUT looking through gufw rules I only saw rules for plex. Before, I'm sure I saw rules for both SAMBA and CUPS previously. Was it the reload which lost the previous rules?

What have I done? Do I need to allow both samba and cups again? - they both had entries in /etc/ufw/applications.d and fortunately they are still there.

Is the answer as simple as:

sudo ufw allow samba
and
sudo ufw allow cups

Swarfendor437

Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:16:57 pm

Finston Pickle

Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:47:11 pm

Thanks Swarf,

I checked out the three links that you suggested.

Surprisingly (for me) the printing function is still working fine on my Plex Z12 laptop. I raised my query thinking that the worst had happened. Berhaps I did the right thing after all!

I can now go on and see if Plex is working.

Thread closed.

Finston Pickle

Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:44:33 pm

Thread reopened - sorry - still issues with ufw/gufw in the context of plex.

I can see in gufw rules that the changes that I requested in ufw have been implemented.

However plex is still unable to access the internet through my router using PnP.

When I first did a sudo ufw allow plexmediaserver-all (description=The Plex Media Server (with additional DLNA capability)) plex was briefly able to access the interent, so PnP is working OK on my router.

The problem came after I did a power off/restart and plexmediaserver could no longer access the internet.

What I have noticed now is that in gufw report the working ports e.g those that CUPS and SAMBA uses are in black and the new plex ports I allowed are in red. Surprisingly to me, there are some Plex ports in black, which I have not requested.

What does red mean?

An internet search finds others confused by this burt no explanation of what it means.

I've also been on the ufw website and don't remember seeing this issue (red/black) even being mentioned.

Screen shot here:

Screenshot from 2019-10-24 16-34-02.jpg

How can I make red to be black like my working ports? Right clicking red has no effect. Do I need to deleted the unrequested Plex ports?

Swarfendor437

Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:13:05 pm

Hi Finston,

Have you got port forwarding enabled for the Plex? I can't find anything on line either - see if you can get any joy from gufw community or plex community with this issue - there's got to be other 'buntu users of Plex out there. ;) :D