This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

PROBLEM WITH GRAPHICS CARD SIS MIRAGE 3 672

DUMITRUTRISCAU

Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:38:12 pm

Hello i have a problem with my graphics card SIS mirage 3 672 for old laptop fujitsu maxim rezolution is 648x480

Swarfendor437

Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:10:59 pm

I've already posted the answer - SIS chipsets will never work with any GNU/Linux distribution - your only option is to try an external graphics card.

DUMITRUTRISCAU

Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:13:31 am

thank you I think a salt I leave on windows 7 is the only one that can lead to its specifications

Aravisian

Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:19:25 am

DUMITRUTRISCAU wrote:thank you I think a salt I leave on windows 7 is the only one that can lead to its specifications

Sadly, Swarfendor is absolutely correct about SiS.

But you are not by any means stuck with Windows.
Zorin 12.4 Lite with additional configurations can be made to work with it. Also, linux Mint 18.1 can work reasonably well using Xorg.

Your xorg.conf file should read this way:
Code:
Section "Device"
Identifier "Generic Video Card"
VendorName "Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS]"
BoardName "771/671 PCIE VGA Display Adapter"
Busid "PCI:1:0:0"
Driver "vesa"
Screen 0
Option "UseFBDev" "true"
Option "DPMS"
Option "ShadowFB"
Option "MaxXFBMem"
VideoRam 262016
Option "RenderAccel" "true"
Option "AllowGLXWithComposite" "true"
Option "backingstore" "true"
Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"

EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Configured Monitor"
Vendorname "Generic LCD Display"
Modelname "LCD Panel 1280x800"
HorizSync 20-107
VertRefresh 50-185
modeline "800x600@56" 36.0 800 824 896 1024 600 601 603 625 +hsync +vsync
modeline "800x600@60" 40.0 800 840 968 1056 600 601 605 628 +hsync +vsync
modeline "1280x768@60" 80.14 1280 1344 1480 1680 768 769 772 795 -hsync +vsync
modeline "1280x720@60" 74.48 1280 1336 1472 1664 720 721 724 746 -hsync +vsync
modeline "1280x800@60" 83.46 1280 1344 1480 1680 800 801 804 828 -hsync +vsync
Gamma 1.0
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Monitor "Configured Monitor"
Device "Configured Video Device"
Defaultdepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
Virtual 1280 768
Modes "1280x768@60" "1280x720@60" "800x600@60" "1280x800@60" "800x600@56"
EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Module"
Load "dri"
Load "dbe" # Double-Buffering Extension
Load "v4l" # Video for Linux
Load "extmod"
Load "type1"
Load "freetype"
Load "glx" # 3D layer
Load "GLcore"
Load "i2c"
Load "bitmap"
Load "ddc"
Load "int10"
Load "vbe"
Load "speedo"
Load "record"
EndSection

Section "DRI"
Mode 0666
EndSection

Din păcate, Swarfendor are dreptate în privința SiS.

Dar tu nu sunt prin orice mijloace blocat cu ferestre.
Zorin 12.4 Lite cu configurații suplimentare pot fi făcute pentru a lucra cu ea. De asemenea, linux Mint 18.1 poate funcționa destul de bine cu Xorg.

Xorg-ul tău.conf " fișier ar trebui să citească în acest fel: (A se vedea exemplul de mai sus.)

DUMITRUTRISCAU

Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:57:13 am

how I do it, how I install or run the order you gave me???

Aravisian

Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:09:52 am

DUMITRUTRISCAU wrote:how I do it, how I install or run the order you gave me???

You have some options before you:
One, you can install Zorin 12.4 LITE (The XFCE desktop Zorin) https://zorinos.com/download/12/lite/
This would be easier than the next option which would be to try using your Zorin 15 if you install the XFCE desktop (Replacing the Gnome Desktop) - however, I am not sure if the 4.14 Version of XFCE that you would get if you installed it on Zorin 15 will cooperate with the following guide. It is possible to install XFCE 4.12 desktop on Zorin 15 but it's a bit more work and you would need to put a "hold" on those packages to prevent them upgrading with a dist-upgrade.
The next option is to install Linux Mint at least 18.1 XFCE, instead of Zorin 12.4 Lite. https://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=271
Whichever you choose, following the instructions in this guide:
https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/p/sis.html
should help you.

It is 3am here, I am sorry and it has been a VERY bad and long day. Otherwise, I would make a better post. But if you have more questions, please ask. If nothing else, this should help you to get started.

DUMITRUTRISCAU

Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:13:05 am

already installed over 10 versions of linux for this laptop, including mint and Zorin lite are all give me the resolution 648x480 I think the above gentleman are right about the sis chips because they are searched on all possible websites or solution and do not know honestly because i am and if i need a fresh linux ... i mean i haven't had any contact in my life with linux for now or a month and i don't know how to find or solve it so you can install your graphics card or be a better solution!

If you leave me an option to contact you I will try to do it and show you with video what are the problems

Swarfendor437

Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:13:04 pm

Just found a possible solution but don't know if it will work on Zorin 12 (Would have on Zorin 9):

https://askubuntu.com/questions/455888/ ... -14-04-sis

DUMITRUTRISCAU

Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:04:38 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Just found a possible solution but don't know if it will work on Zorin 12 (Would have on Zorin 9):

https://askubuntu.com/questions/455888/ ... -14-04-sis

I see that..maybe i try to install zorin os 9

Aravisian

Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:11:14 pm

DUMITRUTRISCAU wrote:I see that..maybe i try to install zorin os 9

I wonder if using Zorin 9 without LTS will create other issues.
Swarfendor is quite smart and good at this- he may well be right about SiS just not working out with you. It is -Possible- that it may be made to work so I certainly didn't want to let it lay as "hopeless."
I tried looking up the specs for Fujitsu maxim notebook to see if there is a hardware option for you to replace the graphics card. I could not find the specs for that notebook, though. Fujitsu does not like to talk about old products, much. :|

Aravisian

Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:06:47 am

https://ajoliveira.com/ajoliveira/uk/software/xorg.php

This site:
https://gist.github.com/fevangelou/46a2 ... 52f18eac73
leads to this:
https://www.vivaolinux.com.br/artigo/Co ... 4?pagina=2
if you dont understand, then use google translator
Honestly, install this driver was very easy. You must download the file (sisimedia-0.9.1.zip) from the website which I already mentioned. Run your file manager with root permissions (sudo "name of your file manager)
and simply copy and paste the xorg.conf file from the .zip to the /etc/X11/ and sisimedia_drv.la sisimedia_drv.so copy and paste to /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/. And it should work.

All mention checking your screen refresh rate at above 60hz, as well.

DUMITRUTRISCAU

Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:16:25 am

Aravisian wrote:
DUMITRUTRISCAU wrote:I see that..maybe i try to install zorin os 9

I wonder if using Zorin 9 without LTS will create other issues.
Swarfendor is quite smart and good at this- he may well be right about SiS just not working out with you. It is -Possible- that it may be made to work so I certainly didn't want to let it lay as "hopeless."
I tried looking up the specs for Fujitsu maxim notebook to see if there is a hardware option for you to replace the graphics card. I could not find the specs for that notebook, though. Fujitsu does not like to talk about old products, much. :|

Yes it`s a old fujitu from 2009 and this company makes a verry bed laptop i ever seen !

Swarfendor437

Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:59:40 pm

Fujitsu is noted for not being GNU/Linux friendly period. If I was allowed to spend some money I would choose a dedicated Nova Custom Notebook. ;) :D

https://zorinos.com/computers/

DUMITRUTRISCAU

Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:47:26 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Fujitsu is noted for not being GNU/Linux friendly period. If I was allowed to spend some money I would choose a dedicated Nova Custom Notebook. ;) :D

https://zorinos.com/computers/

:D :D :D :D :D in the next future i buy one for small usage

DUMITRUTRISCAU

Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:43:29 am

It's huge pain to install a driver to linux because I dont have experience!!

Aravisian

Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:35:04 am

DUMITRUTRISCAU wrote:It's huge pain to install a driver to linux because I dont have experience!!

Yes, I remember when I first began using Linux. Everything is so different and as you say, no experience.
Fortunately, learning is fast and Linux is easy.
Once you begin to learn how to use it, you find out how much easier it is to deal with than Windows and how much greater control you have. It is more logical and organized than Windows, requiring no de-frag and no registry (regedit).

When something is confusing, please ask. If you are unsure of what to do, please ask. If the answer does not make sense, please say that it does not make sense.
You must try to find information in two languages, so I imagine it will be frustrating at first. I believe you can do it.;)

DUMITRUTRISCAU

Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:34:15 pm

Aravisian wrote:
DUMITRUTRISCAU wrote:It's huge pain to install a driver to linux because I dont have experience!!

Yes, I remember when I first began using Linux. Everything is so different and as you say, no experience.
Fortunately, learning is fast and Linux is easy.
Once you begin to learn how to use it, you find out how much easier it is to deal with than Windows and how much greater control you have. It is more logical and organized than Windows, requiring no de-frag and no registry (regedit).

When something is confusing, please ask. If you are unsure of what to do, please ask. If the answer does not make sense, please say that it does not make sense.
You must try to find information in two languages, so I imagine it will be frustrating at first. I believe you can do it.;)

I don't know how to copy the drivers from sudo pcmanfm command says there is no command and no paste copy goes

Aravisian

Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:42:38 pm

DUMITRUTRISCAU wrote:I don't know how to copy the drivers from sudo pcmanfm command says there is no command and no paste copy goes

Are you using the PCManFM file manager? (Did you install pcmanfm on your computer?)
Zorin 15 comes with Nautilus File Manager. In which case it would be a sudo nautilus command.

DUMITRUTRISCAU

Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:21:46 pm

Aravisian wrote:
DUMITRUTRISCAU wrote:I don't know how to copy the drivers from sudo pcmanfm command says there is no command and no paste copy goes

Are you using the PCManFM file manager? (Did you install pcmanfm on your computer?)
Zorin 15 comes with Nautilus File Manager. In which case it would be a sudo nautilus command.

DUMITRUTRISCAU

Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:28:27 pm

DUMITRUTRISCAU wrote:
Aravisian wrote:

I do not use zorin os 15.but I try to install it because I focused on the version of 12 bone marrow. They are still an older system. Drop '' directly into that folder!

Aravisian

Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:17:34 pm

Ok Zorin 12.4 is wha tyou are using- older machine.
Were you saying that it is Zorin 12.4 Core or Zorin 12.4 Lite?

DUMITRUTRISCAU

Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:11:41 am

Aravisian wrote:Ok Zorin 12.4 is wha tyou are using- older machine.

Lite version is running on this old laptop

Aravisian

Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:27:39 pm

DUMITRUTRISCAU wrote:
Aravisian wrote:Ok Zorin 12.4 is wha tyou are using- older machine.

Lite version is running on this old laptop

Could you please try using the same commands except replace typing "pcmanfm" with "thunar"?

DUMITRUTRISCAU

Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:06:43 pm

I quit to install linux on this machine because it`s to old run..i have install windows 8.1 and works fine and i switch Windows to linux for my pc because i dont suport many bugs and crash raports and i dont pay for 1 licence and come to packege with many errors.thx for the help i propouse to close this
Subiect !

Aravisian

Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:58:06 am

DUMITRUTRISCAU wrote:I quit to install linux on this machine because it`s to old run..i have install windows 8.1 and works fine and i switch Windows to linux for my pc because i dont suport many bugs and crash raports and i dont pay for 1 licence and come to packege with many errors.thx for the help i propouse to close this
Subiect !

Yes, Swarfendor was right and I was wrong. We tried to play the odds and it didn't work.
Perhaps soon, you will get another computer and we can try again with a more compatible system. Zorin will work on most computers but not all.

Da, Swarfendor avea dreptate și eu m-am înșelat. Am încercat să joace cotele și nu a funcționat.
Poate că în curând, veți obține un alt calculator și putem încerca din nou cu un sistem mai compatibil. Zorin va lucra la majoritatea calculatoarelor, dar nu la toate.