This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

GNOME Files/Nautilus Poor Performance

moonspike

Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:51:02 pm

Hi,

I'm experiencing poor performance with the default GNOME File/Nautilus file manager.

If I try to move files to another folder, even small ones, the progress icon in the top right corner shows the operation is complete almost instantly (as expected), but the green tick doesn't show for up to five minutes. This means that if I close the files window, I get a 'file operation in progress' notification, even though the file seems to have already transferred.

When I rename a file, the file renames instantly but I get a 'Renaming x to y' popup that stays there indefinitely. If I click 'cancel' on that popup, the files has still been renamed regardless.

I've installed Thunar File Manager and everything happens instantly, so I know it's not a problem with my SSD.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

Thanks!

Swarfendor437

Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:50:37 pm

I don't use SSD's myself, but have you got TRIM setup?

https://www.digitalocean.com/community/ ... ux-servers

moonspike

Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:26:53 pm

Thanks for the reply.

I'll definitely look into my TRIM status.

I suspected it was more of a software issues with GNOME Files, because every other file manager I've tried works perfectly without the above symptoms.

moonspike

Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:31:18 am

For anyone reading this in the future, I was never able to identify what was causing this problem.

I needed to do a fresh installation for another reason, but a nice side effect is that GNOME Files is now working perfectly again.

Aravisian

Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:56:49 pm

moonspike wrote:For anyone reading this in the future, I was never able to identify what was causing this problem.

I needed to do a fresh installation for another reason, but a nice side effect is that GNOME Files is now working perfectly again.

Glad that the symptom is relieved.
This seems to be something that appeared in GTK 3.22 and I found websites of others pointing out that they had no file transfer progress indicator.
But I never found any solutions offered. One very helpful poster suggested something along the lines of "Who cares? Wait for 3.24 to be released."
What a brilliant solution...
Will keep looking though, because I am sure this problem will arise with someone, again.