This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

How do I search and install new applications?

technoweary

Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:17:48 pm

I wish to add a mail client, Mozilla Thunderbird would be good, but I cannot find a way of searching and discovering any applications. I have a 'Software' application from the menu that has a few applications icons but it des not produce anything if I search or try and browse. Obviously I am missing something so I would appreciate being pointed in the right direction. Regards TW

technoweary

Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:33:54 pm

Just to note that I cannot use Geary because it displays larger than the desktop and obscures it's own configuration fields for the SMTP settings!

Aravisian

Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:15:28 pm

Synaptic Package Manager is a good one. You can install it using the terminal with Ubuntu repository by entering into terminal:
Code:
sudo apt-get install synaptic

Once installed, it usually shows up in your apps menu under System.
Requires your root pw to run, so when you open it, it will give a password prompt.
In Synaptic, you will find a Search Button in the toolbar and exploring the options on the left side, you can find a list of all available packages.
Select a package and mark it for installation.
Once you select a package to install, it will list what it depends on and you can choose to install those in one action.
Then, hit the button marked APPLY in the toolbar to install all that you have selected.

technoweary

Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:04:09 pm

Thanks Aravisian
Installed Synaptic and managed to get Thunderbird installed
Thank you for your help, very much appreciated
TW

Aravisian

Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:48:26 pm

You are welcome and I agree with you about the Ubuntu Software Center being flaky. It works great sometimes but much of the time is more trouble than it is worth. Synaptic is reliable and performs very well.

technoweary

Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:50:24 am

I was looking to remove the Software Centre from the Start Menu , (or Panel?), and place Synaptic in it's place, or maybe group my regularly used applications somewhere in the Start. I could not find a way to do this and wonder if it is possible?

Swarfendor437

Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:12:11 pm

technoweary wrote:I was looking to remove the Software Centre from the Start Menu , (or Panel?), and place Synaptic in it's place, or maybe group my regularly used applications somewhere in the Start. I could not find a way to do this and wonder if it is possible?

Sadly, no you can't - Software is embedded in the system. That is down to Ubuntu not Zorin by the way. Also if you mentioned 'Geary' so I am assuming that you are running Zorin 12? You can just enter Synaptic in the Windows 7 menu style search bar. Can't remember if Alt+ F2 works in 12 or not (Search Bar appearing Top and centre of desktop - just Enter Synaptic afterward and it will launch, asking for your login password.

technoweary

Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:19:07 pm

Thanks for the info Swarfendor437
You are correct it is V12
Would be nice for convenience if it was possible to customise the interface but as the OS only lasts a few months on my laptop without problems it's not imporatnt
I switch between Xubuntu and Zorrin and run them until the software updater gets histerical about not being able to update due to dependancies then I erase and reinstall
I'm not an experienced user as you can tell but it's better than Windows Vista!

Aravisian

Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:14:54 pm

technoweary wrote:Thanks for the info Swarfendor437
You are correct it is V12
Would be nice for convenience if it was possible to customise the interface but as the OS only lasts a few months on my laptop without problems it's not imporatnt
I switch between Xubuntu and Zorrin and run them until the software updater gets histerical about not being able to update due to dependancies then I erase and reinstall
I'm not an experienced user as you can tell but it's better than Windows Vista!

If it is Zorin 12.4 lite, which is based on Xubuntu, then you must be using the XFCE4 panel. Have you tried using the WhiskerMenu?
Zorins Arc Menu is made originally by Graeme Gott and he also made the Whisker Menu. It is very customizable and I can walk you through it. Using WhiskerMenu, I do not have the embedded Software and Settings button under a separator on the right side as seen on the Arc Menu. Under the category of System, you will find Synaptic, in the WhiskerMenu.
IF you would like to install and test out the Whisker menu
Code:
sudo apt-get install xfce4-whiskermenu-plugin

Once installed, right click your panel, hover over "Panel" and then move to the right in the pop-over menu to "Panel Preferences." Add item, then select the Whisker menu by scrolling down to it in the pop up window. Once added to the panel, you can right click it and select "Move" to move it to a new location on the panel. Right clicking it again, you can change its properties such as Icon, title, appearance and so on. Size can be adjusted easily using the pull-tab on the upper right side.
Both menus can be customized to some degree by using "Alacarte" or "Menulibre". Neither of these will do what you asked, however and remove the software channel from the Zorin Arc Menu- I have already tried it. They will remove it from WhiskerMenu. Both menu's are binary and are harder to access to modify than something that was written in .css or another language.
technoweary wrote: or maybe group my regularly used applications somewhere in the Start. I could not find a way to do this and wonder if it is possible?

The Whiskermenu does this; though I have that feature disabled on mine. It has a Recently Used Category and a Favorites Category that will perform this function.

I wonder what dependencies are missing for Software Channel? Have you tried
Code:
sudo apt-get -f install
in terminal to get them?

technoweary

Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:46:30 pm

WiskerMenu is just right
All my stuff is in Favourites now
Thanks again for the information, very much appreciated

JeffK969

Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:12:29 am

Very cool Aravisian. It'd be nice if 'Recently Used' could just be added to the main menu. I use it a lot. Well, used too...lol

Aravisian

Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:17:17 am

JeffK969 wrote:Very cool Aravisian. It'd be nice if 'Recently Used' could just be added to the main menu. I use it a lot. Well, used too...lol

You mean to the Zorin Menu?
You might shoot a message to Graeme Gott and suggest it as an enhancement request for the Arc Menu.
https://github.com/gottcode

He may not go for it since that feature is readily available in his WhiskerMenu, though.

JeffK969

Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:42:38 pm

Is there a way to replace the Menulibre menu with the Whisker menu?

Aravisian

Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:43:02 pm

JeffK969 wrote:Is there a way to replace the Menulibre menu with the Whisker menu?

psst... Menulibre is the editor program for the menu. Like Alacarte.
Yes, in Zorin Lite, Open a terminal:
Code:
sudo apt-get install xfce4-whiskermenu-plugin

In Zorin Core or Ultimate, you must install the XCE panel, first:
Code:
sudo apt-get install xfce4-panel

Code:
sudo apt-get install xfce-goodies

then
remove whatever XFCE goodies you don't want to keep (It's easier, this way). The Goodies package includes Whiskermenu.

Right click the Panel and move your cursor up to "Add New Items." In the pop-up window, scroll down to WhiskerMenu and select "add" button.
Once you have the menu positioned where you want, right clicking the Menu, you can select "edit applications" menu and a pop-up will pop up that has many options to configure the menu how you want it to be.

JeffK969

Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:25:29 pm

Aravisian, I have no idea where you are at, but if ever I owed someone a drink.... It's on me...
I will hopefully have time this weekend to get this done, and ask further questions....lol

JeffK969

Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:16:22 pm

Ohhh.... I meant add it to the Zorin start menu.. I will still buy you the drink...haha I will have to look for a video on how to make changes using menulibre. I guess to create a launcher.

Aravisian

Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:04:02 pm

JeffK969 wrote:Ohhh.... I meant add it to the Zorin start menu.. I will still buy you the drink...haha I will have to look for a video on how to make changes using menulibre. I guess to create a launcher.

I was wrong, I think the developer of Arc Menu is Lexuree, not Graeme Gott. THis is why I should double check before posting, sometimes.
(EDIT-again- I was not wrong, nore right. The originator is Graeme Gott and Lexuree is the current developer.)

I clearly remember reading about Arc-menu in Gott Code, which is weird. maybe just the tricks the mind can play...

So, you want to add WhiskerMenu as a launcher to Zorin Menu? I suppose that is one option. I never tried adding a menu to another menu before.

JeffK969

Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:00:07 pm

OK, it came to me after a good night's sleep... The one on the left (white), Zorin Lite Menu. Right (blue) whisker menu....
As Van Halen would say, I've Got the Best, of, Both Worlds... Did I just show my age...???

Screenshot_2019-11-28_09-49-02.png
Screenshot_2019-11-28_09-49-02.png (23.14 KiB)

Just can figure out how to resize the blue icon yet... In time...

Aravisian

Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:17:39 pm

JeffK969 wrote:
Screenshot_2019-11-28_09-49-02.png

Just can figure out how to resize the blue icon yet... In time...

That's odd. The WhiskerMenu has its own Icon, not the Zorin Icon. Did you hit Properties on whiskermenu and then select a new icon?

JeffK969

Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:33:03 pm

Yes, I did. I prefer the Zorin icon. And I like the Blue Zorin icon even better. My own little twist. Just would like the blue icon bigger. Working on it...lol

Aravisian

Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:40:35 pm

JeffK969 wrote:Yes, I did. I prefer the Zorin icon. And I like the Blue Zorin icon even better. My own little twist. Just would like the blue icon bigger. Working on it...lol

No complaints, just checking.
It looks like panel is not Scaling properly.
On some versions of XFCE4 Panel, if you right click, then Panel move to Pop-over menu, Panel Preferences - in the pop up, move to Appearance Tab. Then select :Adjust Icons Automatically on/off or Fixed Icon Size <Size chooser>.
If you do not see that scaling option under Appearance tab, then your version of XFCE4 panel does not have it.

JeffK969

Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:03:31 pm

BINGO..! I bow to your awesomeness of Knowledge... Without Swarf and yourself, no idea how much I wouldn't know... A Lot I'm guessing. Two drinks I owe you...

phatmeow

Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:17:28 pm

wow as a Zorin OS 15 Core newbie i'm gonna bookmark this thread haha