This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin 15 Ultimate: No sound

akshtray

Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:01:42 pm

I dual boot with Windows and Zorin 15. For whatever reason the audio is not working on Zorin. I have gone through some of the troubleshooting guides and tried to use alsamixer, etc. to change the devices around to use the built in sound card but without much luck. If anyone can help me out that would be great. I can provide any information that is required.

I reached out to Support but after suggestions like "make sure the nVidia drivers are in place" and "make sure the right output device is selected in Sound settings" they pretty much asked me to go to the forums for more help.

Hoping you guys can provide some help with resolving the issue.

Aravisian

Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:24:48 pm

akshtray wrote:I dual boot with Windows and Zorin 15. For whatever reason the audio is not working on Zorin. I have gone through some of the troubleshooting guides and tried to use alsamixer, etc. to change the devices around to use the built in sound card but without much luck. If anyone can help me out that would be great. I can provide any information that is required.

I reached out to Support but after suggestions like "make sure the nVidia drivers are in place" and "make sure the right output device is selected in Sound settings" they pretty much asked me to go to the forums for more help.

Hoping you guys can provide some help with resolving the issue.

Could you please use terminal to run
Code:
sudo lshw -c multimedia
and paste the output?

Swarfendor437

Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:27:48 pm

I think Aravisian's response crashed my machine while I was posting a reply! :lol:

I share your pain! I had an issue with the onboard soundchip that was not supported bu Ubuntu 18.04, after I had upgraded my motherboard! I'm currently using SoundBlaster Audigy Rx which works on every other boot (can happen in my other GNU/Linux installs too!). Now back to your issue using terminal commands (Ctrl+ Alt +T to launch):

" Example 1 : Find number of sound cards present in your machine

Code:
cat /proc/asound/cards

Output:

Code:
0 [PCH ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel PCH

HDA Intel PCH at 0xc2600000 irq 45

If you see there is only one sound card which is HDA-Intel sound card which is an inbuilt one.

or

Code:
/proc/asound/cardX

Where X indicate no of cards, if you see card0, card1 then indicates you have two sound cards.

to see number of cards available

Code:
ls -ld /proc/asound/card* | grep ^d

Output:

Code:
dr-xr-xr-x 5 root root 0 Jun 9 12:08 /proc/asound/card0

Example 2 : How to get card manufacture details using lspci command.

Code:
lspci -v | grep -i audio

Output:

Code:
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 04)

or

Code:
alsamixer

Output:

Code:
linux_soundcard_details[code]​

Example 3: How can I check how many number of devices attached to sound card like speakers, mic, woofers etc

[code]cat /proc/asound/devices[/code]

Output:

[code]1: : sequencer

2: [ 0- 3]: digital audio playback

3: [ 0- 0]: digital audio playback

4: [ 0- 0]: digital audio capture

5: [ 0- 3]: hardware dependent

6: [ 0- 0]: hardware dependent

7: [ 0] : control

33: : timer[/code]

From the above output we can see that there are two audio playback devices(Speakers) and an audio capture device(A mic) to this machine. And remaining details are sound card related information. Or we can use aplay command as well to get device details

[code]   aplay --list-devices[/code]

Output:

[code]**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****

card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: ALC270 Analog [ALC270 Analog]

Subdevices: 1/1

Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]

Subdevices: 1/1

Subdevice #0: subdevice #0[/code]

Example 4 : How can I get which Kernel module or sound driver details for my sound card. The module related to sound card is represented snd string in it’s name. So if we can search /proc/asound/modules file or lsmod command output we can easily find which sound card driver is in use as shown below

[code]grep snd /proc/asound/modules[/code]

Output:

[code]   0 snd_hda_intel[/code]

or

[code]   lsmod | grep snd[/code]

Output:

[code]snd_hda_codec_hdmi 32049 1

snd_hda_codec_realtek 78147 1

snd_hda_intel 33492 3

snd_hda_codec 134213 3 snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_intel

snd_hwdep 17699 1 snd_hda_codec

snd_pcm 96668 3 snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_intel

snd_seq_midi 13325 0

snd_rawmidi 30513 1 snd_seq_midi

snd_seq_midi_event 14900 1 snd_seq_midi

snd_seq 61555 2 snd_seq_midi_event,snd_seq_midi

snd_timer 29426 2 snd_pcm,snd_seq

snd_seq_device 14498 3 snd_seq,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_midi

snd 78921 16 snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_hwdep,snd_timer,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_pcm,snd_seq,snd_rawmidi,snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_intel,snd_seq_device

soundcore 15048 1 snd

snd_page_alloc 18485 2 snd_pcm,snd_hda_intel[/code]

Example 5: How can I find sound card software version in Linux?

[code]cat /proc/asound/version[/code]

Output:
[code]Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.25.

A good documentation about /proc/asound folder can be found at http://alsa.opensrc.org/Proc_asound_documentation

In our next post we will see how to find details about network card like network card manufacture, MAC address, drivers etc. Stay tuned."

[Source: https://www.linuxnix.com/find-sound-car ... linuxunix/]

carmar

Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:31:46 am

You mentioned alsamixer, so you've probably already done this, but can you confirm that automute was disabled on alsamixer?