This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Annoying the **** out of me _SOLVED

psion0027

Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:23:30 am

So I've installed Zorin OS just to try it out. I love it! I'm totally keeping it.
Now I have a problem. I installed all the programs i needed and wanted, to prepare it for putting it on the stand alone network. (once i put it on the stand-alone network i CANNOT put it back onto the internet network.)
Now this box wont obtain an ip address from the internal network. So I go online (with a different machine) and look up ways to fix that.
Somewhere along the way something strange happens. And now when I open any application or window, it acts like I'm holding down the "ALT" key.
You know, it just tries to preposition the window.
I know the keys aren't stuck down because i have to press either alt key to be able to click on anything without moving the whole window.
I've tried restarting several times and it still does it.
I tried unplugging the keyboard. I tried using a different keyboard. and nothing seems to work.
can anybody please help me?

psion0027

Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:56:28 pm

Thank you swarfendor. I tried running dpkg in recovery mode but it still doesn't fix the problem. But I tried opening failsafex mode and it doesn't have that problem, it runs like it should.
Is there anything else that might work?

madvinegar

Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:58:50 am

Since you can connect to the network but not the internet is there any way you are behind a proxy server...?
Check if actually this is the case and you can add your PC on system->preferences->network proxy.

Or maybe there is somekind of firewall issue?

Also check, when you enter your password to connect, that you are selecting the correct encryption type.

Wolfman

Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:41:15 am

hi,

try running this command in a terminal:

sudo dpkg --configure -a

Also, you must check that your network manager is set for "All Users" and "Connect Automatically". You can do this by clicking on the network symbol in the taskbar and "Edit Connections", you may be able to adjust any irregularities with the edit function, you need to mark the connection you wish to edit with a mouse click and then click on "Edit".

Regards Wolfman :D

psion0027

Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:32:31 pm

im sorry for not being clear on this. So I will try to explain this more.
At my work we have two completely separate networks. One network is connected to the internet. (I'll call this the "External Network")
And one network that is NOT AT ALL to be connected to the internet. EVER. (I'll call this one the "Stand-Alone Network")
If a computer is connected to the Stand-Alone Network, putting it on the External Network would be grounds for getting fired.
Now that this is cleared up. I spoke to my boss about reconnecting this box back onto the External Network. He said it's alright because I couldn't get it onto the Stand-Alone Network. I tried running "sudo dpkg --configure -a", but it did nothing,(i think) it just brought me back to the command prompt. No changes were made.
Am I going to have to re-install?

One important thing I forgot to mention is that after installing all the software (I'm not sure if it was all completely installed yet) the computer froze up and i had to do a hard restart. (I couldn't even get into the "Ctrl+Alt+F2" console.)

Wolfman

Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:27:11 pm

Hi,

the command "sudo dpkg --configure -a" is designed to repair damaged packages and progs alike, what you now describe about your system crashing is a whole new ball game, the chances are that your system was not fully installed if as you; you cannot be sure it was.

If you have the time and energy; I would do a new install!!.

psion0027

Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:51:09 pm

ok i got the network thing fixed. i just had to manually set my ip address. but that's not even the important part.
How do I fix the ALT key thing???

Wolfman

Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:02:41 am

Hi,

have you checked the keyboard layout settings in the control center, I would look there first and see if there is something amiss. Do you have the correct language set for your keyboard??, have you assigned any shortcut keys??.

madvinegar

Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:14:46 am

Can you please explain in detail what is exactly this problem you are having with the ALT key?

When does it happen, what is affected etc.

Also, when this problem happens, open a terminal and write

Code:
dmesg

and please post the result here.

psion0027

Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:28:14 pm

ok. so you know how in Linux, if you press the ALT key, then you can just click anywhere on a window and move it around?
for me its like that, always. only I'm not pressing the ALT key. And the only way to click on anything in any window/menu is to press the alt key while I'm clicking on stuff.

madvinegar

Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:13:35 pm

Ok try this.

Press Alt+F2
In the window that opens write
Code:
gconf-editor
and press enter.

Navigate to apps-->metacity-->General

On the list on the right scroll down to find the box that says "mouse_button_modifier" and next to it change the word <Alt> to <Super> (by clicking on it). Don't forget the <> signs.

Click on "Exit" and let me know if that did the trick.

psion0027

Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:17:50 pm

IT WORKS!!!
I went into gconf-editor just like you said. But when I found "Mouse_button_modifier" the value was set to "disabled". So I just changed it back to <Alt> (it was an educated guess) and it fixed my problem!
Thank you madvinegar, and everybody else for your help!

madvinegar

Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:44:08 am

Glad I helped my friend!!!!!!!!!! Good guess, eh? :D

Wolfman and swarfendor437 must be very proud of me! :lol:

Wolfman

Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:36:31 am

Hi MV,

thanks for the help, well spotted "Bruce" :D (Monty Pythons "Bruce's sketch")