This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

View mode to see thumbs in Nautilus

ozstar

Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:20:48 pm

Hi,

In Windows there is an option to view thumbnails of all image files up to a large size in Explorer.

It is a very helpful option if one has 100's of pics and is looking for certain ones.

Is there this option available in Linux (Zorin) please?

Thanks

oz

Aravisian

Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:47:21 pm

Windows follows a Set Standard on what tools you use, whereas in Linux, you have a great many options to choose from when it comes to File Mnagers and what they do.
Zorin Ultimate and Core come with Gnome Desktop and Gnomes Nautilus File Manager.
https://askubuntu.com/questions/1097934 ... n-200-size

Zorin Lite comes with Thunar. But again, you have Control. You can install another file manager or have several, with each one adapted to a particular need.
I use Nemo, which is a fork of Nautilus, only fixed so that it actually works and has functionality that Normal Humans like to have.
Nemos instructions would be similar to Nautilus: Choose Icon view and then slide the Slider at the bottom right to go from Planck Length to Parsecs.

Another favorite is the Very powerful File Manager - SpaceFM. It's not built for looks, but when it comes to functionality... It is the F-14 Tomcat of File Managers.

Swarfendor437

Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:18:14 pm

Have you checked out Shotwell? This is a specific photo manager, as you mentioned 'pics'? ;) :D

ozstar

Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:43:23 pm

Hi, Aravisian I might take a peek at SpaceFM and see if that does it for me. I really just want a mod that whenever the files list out, that I can choose to have small thumbnails of the actual photos shown. Nautilus does show an icon but I want the actual photo so I can easily see who is what, in order to choose when I need to.

Hi Swarfendor437 yes I looked at Shotwell and have installed it. It does look good, like Picasso in Win. I read the FAQ etc but still not 100% sure it can go find all photos on a drive and display them. I see mentions of moving them to other directories but at the moment just wanted to see them where they are as we already have a drive specifically for photos. But it does look good.

Thanks guys appreciate the help

Aravisian

Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:23:25 pm

ozstar wrote:Hi, Aravisian I might take a peek at SpaceFM and see if that does it for me. I really just want a mod that whenever the files list out, that I can choose to have small thumbnails of the actual photos shown. Nautilus does show an icon but I want the actual photo so I can easily see who is what, in order to choose when I need to.

Yes, using Nemo, my pictures folder shows Thumbnails that I can enlarge quite big. But I also notice that it seems to NOT show thumbnails sometimes. It shows some as thumbs and some as icons. I have no idea why.

Swarfendor437

Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:23:43 pm

What if you go into Thunar and check "View as Icons"? When this is enabled, holding the left Ctrl+ Mouse wheel allows you to zoom in and out:

View as icons.jpg

Similarly in Nautilus, select icons and same method to zoom in and out:

Nautilus zoom in out with icons.jpg

Here is another picture manager that I couldn't even remember installing! LOL! - Phototonic:

Phototonic.jpg

Aravisian

Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:16:20 am

Thanks Swarf. This thread is helping me, too.

ketil

Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:54:41 am

But none of these options can help me view jpg files! It seems like this with jpg in xubuntu / linux for the case is one mystery!

Swarfendor437

Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:02:04 pm

ketil wrote:But none of these options can help me view jpg files! It seems like this with jpg in xubuntu / linux for the case is one mystery!

No issues for me opening up in image viewer - try uninstalling image viewer and reinstalling via Software - have you made sure your system is up-to-date AND points to Main Server for updates, not your country's locale server? ;) :D