This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Erase swap file

artesan0

Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:37:56 pm

Hi!
this is my first message here, so first of all, thank you all for sharing and helping each other.

I'm using linux and Zorin for the first time and I'm using a SSD hard drive. I've been reading about not needing a swap file/space with an SSD, even that is not recommended.
But I have no idea how to erase or eliminate it. Could you help me with it, please?

I read I must erase the swap line in the fstab file, but not sure.

This is the content of my fstab file:
# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
# device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
# that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
#
# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
# / was on /dev/sda1 during installation
UUID=b4b055d6-75f4-40de-ad62-b8e05bbf44fc / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1
/swapfile none swap sw 0 0
//192.168.104.200/varios /media/varios cifs _netdev,username=admin,password=h*w%R%SOIqXj^ZBwhddn4NoVX5OhB960j0P4$AvbdlB^pQhhQKWB^%RxZmf#FjwDRWJ7!%Gj8c&QboF7XWICBlez84TU7ElKt2uM,dir_mode=0777,file_mode=0777,uid=500,gid=500 0 0

I'd appreciate any help.
Thank you all.

Swarfendor437

Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:58:47 pm

Hi, either mount the live media you installed Zorin with or download the standalone iso for GParted - once running Gparted you should see the swap file - you have to 'unmount' it first, then you can delete it. Now as for using the unused space, unless you enabled LVM (Large Volume Management) during install you won't be able to stretch your installation. That was always the thing with Linux - you could shrink but not expand - that changed with LVM. ;) :D

artesan0

Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:07:31 pm

WoW!
I'm impressed for the super quick response...thank you!
Don't know what is Gparted, sorry...is an app that I should run from pendrive previous to the Zorin OS, right?

Swarfendor437

Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:11:04 pm

GParted is the Gnome Partition Editor that launches when you choose "something else" to install the OS. You can just run in live mode and in the Menu search box just enter Gparted - and before you have finished typing it should be the first find it comes back with. ;) :D

artesan0

Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:51:41 am

Thank you so much, it worked!