This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Can't upgrade to Zorin 15,1

spitocco

Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:06:34 pm

Good morning everybody,
I hope someone can help me...
Since the new release of Zorin 15.1 I haven't receive any message to upgrade the distro. When I run the update & software manager I received a couple of updates for the system (Zorin appearance and few other little things) but no possibilities to upgrade from my 15 to 15.1. It says the distro is up to date!
Anybody can help?
I attach a screenshot of my update manager settings (since I downloaded the distro 7 months ago I haven't change any settings there).

Thank you very much for your help!
Simone

Swarfendor437

Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:58:23 pm

Someon in another thread said to use the 'upgrade' command in a terminal, but before you do:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

then

Code:
sudo apt-get upgrade

;) :D

spitocco

Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:31:29 pm

Thank you a lot for your superquick answer!
Since I'm not very good using the terminal... first I use the first command, then the second and then... do I have to be aware/take care of anything else after that?

Once again a big thanx!
Simone

Swarfendor437

Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:44:35 pm

Hi, you do the first set of commands to allow any outstanding updates to apps etc to be added to the system - you could do a restart after the first one (as per Aravisian's guidance), then once back in the system, the second one. Please note that when you attempt to elevate yourself to root using the sudo command you will be asked for your login password (another reason for not having passwordless logins!) :D

And proof that it works:

update to 15.1.jpg

Aravisian

Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:51:46 pm

It's strange, on mine it did it automatically. I did not have to do anything except click "accept" on the "Software Update Available" pop up a couple days ago.

Swarfendor437

Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:03:21 pm

Well somebody posted about using upgrade as I did not spot anything specific that mentioned 15.1 by name - in fact when I did the upgrade command it only updated a minor file. ;) :D

spitocco

Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:11:30 pm

Thank you everybody! :-)
I did as you suggested (terminal commands) and it worked...

WELCOME 15.1!

Thanx once more
Simone

Swarfendor437

Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:03:30 pm

spitocco wrote:Thank you everybody! :-)
I did as you suggested (terminal commands) and it worked...

WELCOME 15.1!

Thanx once more
Simone

Glad you are sorted. Have marked thread as [SOLVED]. ;) :D

JeffK969

Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:21:17 pm

Same here Aravisian, I did a software update and a day or so later ran: cat /etc/os-release and it said Zorin 15.1.
Weird. When I was using Solus it had rolling releases which was cool. With Mint I have to perform the Upgrade.
So is Zorin like a rolling release, no more need to upgrade? That would be awesome....
NAME="Zorin OS"
VERSION="15.1"

zabadabadoo

Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:56:09 pm

Inquisitive after seing a couple of threads here about 15.1, I decided to check my version in Settings. Surprised to see 15.1 on the banner. Must have been within other OS updates I installed via Software Updater in past few days. No need for me to use terminal for that. Simples :D