This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Setting Executable Bit

mcguinnessdr

Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:45:43 am

I am trying to run Minecraft.jar, but I can't because the executable bit isn't set. I've tried using "chmod" to change it, but am either using it wrong or it's just not working. Thank you for any help.

Wolfman

Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:50:27 am

Assuming you have the file in your home folder, right click on it and go to properties/permissions and make it executable.

Regards Wolfman :D

madvinegar

Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:52:24 am

I think .jar files are actually ziped files. You should first unzip them (right click - extract here).

Wolfman

Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:56:27 am

http://ostermiller.org/opening_jar_files.html

Thanks for pointing that out MV :D

madvinegar

Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:16:19 am

No problem wolfman. Thanks for the nice jar guide!

mcguinnessdr

Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:45:28 pm

I've tried setting the executable bit in the properties, but it just unchecks as soon as I check it.

Wolfman

Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:15:14 pm

mcguinnessdr wrote:I've tried setting the executable bit in the properties, but it just unchecks as soon as I check it.

Does it state who the owner of the file is??. If it is root, you must sudo to root and thern install it, it won't give you any rights though!!.

If you still have a copy of the file, copy and replace the other one and then try and change the permissions!!.

OR!!. Install the package nautilus-gksu

This allows you to open folders / files as root. (Wtihin normal nautilus, right click on folder/file and select 'open as administrator')

OR!. in a terminal:

gksudo nautilus

and change the permissions!!.