This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Video Card Fan Broke, Onboard Graphics No Good

mdiemer

Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:26:34 am

My 8600 GS video card fan is making noises and I had to go back to onboard Nvidia graphics for my 6150se mobo. Got them to install on Windows OK, but my new Zorin 15 Core SSD system boots, but then there is nothing. I log in then get a blank screen.My other Zorin 15 Core, on a HDD, is working fine.

I'm thinking I may need to reinstall, this time paying attention to Sawrf's recommendations to use EXT 2 and partition the drive manually. Or is there a way to fix the problem with no desktop?

Aravisian

Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:56:51 am

What happens if you try booting up in safe graphics mode?
Hold shift key to get to grub and do the Time Honored Fix-all "nomodeset" for /etc/default/grub.
Code:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="nomodeset"

Swarfendor437

Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:27:21 pm

Also boot into terminal mode Alt+ F1 or F2. you should get tty login. enter your username then password. Then type 'startx' and see if you can get to desktop that way.

mdiemer

Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:09:31 pm

No luck with suggestions (although I probably didn't do them correctly.) I reinstalled to the SSD, but the graphics are still messed up. Can log in, but only have a bottom panel (grainy but works), the start menu and the calendar on the right side. No desktop picture, and no apps will open to a GUI, so can't do anything. Weirdly, when shutting down, the default desktop picture pops up for a second, then disappears.

Had to try another distro to see if something would work on this old onboard chipset, found an iso I had of Ubuntu Mate, and installed with noveau drivers. That worked, I am on it now. just some occasional delays on web pages, but all is working. May try Zorin Light. Another option would be to reinstall Core with safe drivers, then see if I can install Nvidia drivers from terminal. I think it would be the 304 one from several years ago. If I do that I will use an old HHD so as not to keep writing to the SSD. I am formatting to EXT 2 now when installing to SSD.

Aravisian

Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:31:07 pm

Not to put too fine a point on it... But didn't you say there was a hardware issue?A lighter D.E. may put less strain on the video card, resulting in better display, but I would think that cooling the card would be the way to go.
The cooling fan went caput on my Acer and rather than disassemble the notebook and jump through hoops, I built a small blower attached to the side. It blasts air through the system the same way the cooling fan did- but admittedly, with more force. It plugs into a wall outlet.
Current Temp reading:
CurrentTempReading.png
CurrentTempReading.png (55.66 KiB)

Swarfendor437

Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:53:48 pm

Love your theming Aravisian! wish I had a sensor I could utilise! ;) :D

mdiemer

Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:35:00 pm

To clarify, Aravisian, my 8400 GS video card fan was going, as evidenced by weird noises. So I took it out, and am now using onboard graphics in an 11 yr. old computer. There is no "card" at this point, it's now using integrated graphics. All in all the machine is running cool. I actually removed the CPU heat sink (inadvertently; I thought the CPU fan was the culprit at first, but it turned out to be the video card fan, which is attached to the card itself, which is now removed from the computer). Anyway, I bought some thermal paste and reattached the heatsink and cooler fan, and as I said the machine seems to be running pretty cool at this point, though of course strenuous activities could challenge it. but I use this machine just for email and browsing, so I'm sure that with a lighter distro it will be fine (until it blows for good, which is why I'm reluctant to buy a new video card. At some point you stop putting money into old cars and computers).

I'm not looking for help at this point so I can run Zorin Core. I assume that is out. I'm just keeping you posted on how things are going. I' may try LXLE in addition to Zorin Lite and Ubuntu Mate, to see which one I prefer. At some point I will need to replace this old beast, at which point I will probably come back to Zorin. Like you said in another post (and I myself have also said somewhere back there), it just feels like home.

Swarfendor437

Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:27:28 am

You should definitely give AntiX 19 a try mdiemer. ;) :D

Aravisian

Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:00:32 am

mdiemer wrote:To clarify, Aravisian,

I failed to RTFQ.
mdiemer wrote:At some point you stop putting money into old cars and computers).

I am a classic car mechanic. This statement is sacrilege.

mdiemer wrote:I'm not looking for help at this point so I can run Zorin Core. I assume that is out. I'm just keeping you posted on how things are going. I' may try LXLE in addition to Zorin Lite and Ubuntu Mate, to see which one I prefer. At some point I will need to replace this old beast, at which point I will probably come back to Zorin. Like you said in another post (and I myself have also said somewhere back there), it just feels like home.

I agree with Swarfendor that Antix is a great option. You can use XFCE D.E. on it or Openbox or Fluxbox...
It comes with all of the above.
Or Zorin 12.4 Lite (Not Zorin 15 Lite.)
Swarfendor437 wrote:Love your theming Aravisian! wish I had a sensor I could utilise! ;) :D

It's using the regular lmsensors and the onky download is on my Pling Page. You would need to do a chown on the HDD sensor.
I recently discovered another and very powerful option aside from conky that I have been playing with... Trust me, you don't want to see it. It's like Conky being a 1979 Pinto and this thing being a 2019 Corvette.

mdiemer

Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:50:56 am

Well guys, I have tried Ubuntu Mate, which I always liked, and LXLE, which works great but has a disappointing menu; and am currently on Zorin Light Live. The way I have it set up, I can hardly tell the difference from Core. I'm going to install it and keep fingers crossed. If it works, problem solved. I'll still have zorin, minus a video card that really always problematic, plus brand new thermal paste on the CPU/heatsink interface, which is a cool thing to have, right?

Re: cars: I'm talking a 2000 Hyundai Accent, with 175,000 miles (has to be some kind of record). Been sitting in my garage for 9 months now after failing inspection yet again, this time with a 1,000+ repair estimate. If you want to buy it let me know, I'm sure we can work something out.

mdiemer

Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:05:57 am

Success! Installed Zorin Lite and it works great. I can't see any difference so far. Well, I had to install Redshift, because I couldn't find the Nite Lite anywhere, but otherwise it's fast, smooth and beautiful. Great job by Zorin Bros. (Hopefully I'm not complaining tomorrow about it when I really start fooling with it).

Will keep you posted.

Aravisian

Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:23:09 am

mdiemer wrote:Re: cars: I'm talking a 2000 Hyundai Accent, with 175,000 miles (has to be some kind of record). Been sitting in my garage for 9 months now after failing inspection yet again, this time with a 1,000+ repair estimate. If you want to buy it let me know, I'm sure we can work something out.

No.

I can probably help walk you through the repairs and how to help you pass the Emissions testing.
That said: A mechanic is only as good as his or her tools.
If you are well-stocked in tooling, I can probably help you easily. If you have a blow-mold Craftsman case (179 Piece Set!) then you are in trouble.

On Zorin- you are echoing my experience -chuckle- I tried MANY distros... Peppermint OS, Mint, Ubuntu Mate, Lubuntu, Antix (LOVE Antix), MX Linux... Long list. Twenty five or more Distros. Zorin rocked that machine and is STILL rocking that machine. The Notebook in Question is actually a small Toughbook that was built for and loaded with Windows XP- Tablet Edition.
-shrug-